University Hospital Tuebingen
Department of Pediatric Neurology and Developmental Disorders (562044)
Specialized in: pediatric neurology, developmental disorders
About the Department of Pediatric Neurology and Developmental Disorders at University Hospital Tuebingen
The Department of Pediatric Neurology and Developmental Disorders at the University Hospital Tuebingen offers the diagnostics and treatment for children and adolescents of all age groups with acute and chronic diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of neurological diseases, developmental disorders, diabetes mellitus in children and pediatric diseases of a general nature. Thanks to the collaboration with other Pediatric Centers and the ongoing development of new techniques, the department provides the highest treatment standards. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Neu.
The treatment of pediatric neurological diseases is one of the department’s priorities. These include acute neurological conditions, epilepsy and other paroxysmal conditions (syncope, tic disorders, affective convulsions, etc.), hydrocephalus, brain tumors, brain and peripheral nerve inflammation, phacomatosis (tuberous sclerosis complex), etc. In addition, there are special outpatient consultations for such problems as resistant forms of epilepsy, spina bifida, neurofibromatosis, skull and face malformations. Within the specialized EEG Laboratory of the department, there are conducted all types of EEG and other examinations (for example, polygraphy, polysomnography, etc.) required for the accurate diagnostics of neurological complaints.
Another key focus of the department is the treatment of children and adolescents with impaired motor, speech or mental development and chronic neurological diseases. The department’s specialists have at their command the very latest achievements in the treatment of various neurodegenerative diseases, neuromuscular diseases, brain lesions, autistic disorders, etc. There is offered special outpatient counseling on issues, such as muscular diseases and neuropathies, botulinum toxin therapy, neuro-orthopedic treatment, etc.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department:
- Neurological diseases
- Acute neurological disorders
- Epilepsy and other paroxysmal conditions (syncope, tic disorders, seizures, etc.)
- Brain tumors
- Brain and peripheral nerve inflammation
- Phakomatosis (tuberous sclerosis complex, etc.)
- Developmental disorders
- Delayed or impaired motor, speech, mental development
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autistic disorders
- Impaired regulation and behavior in children
- Cerebral palsy
- Neurodegenerative diseases / metabolic disorders (for example, metachromatic leukodystrophy)
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Brain injuries
- Cerebral palsy
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Craniofacial abnormalities
- Diabetes mellitus (inpatient treatment)
- Resistant types of epilepsy
- Brain tumors
- Spina bifida
- Muscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases and developmental disorders
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Neu
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Since 1983 Fellow at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1988 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- Since 1989 Management of children and adolescents with diabetes mellitus within the framework of clinical practice in the Department of Pediatric Endocrinology.
- 1995 Specialization in Diabetology, German Diabetes Society.
- 2003 Habilitation. Subject: "Clinical manifestations of diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents in Baden-Württemberg. Epidemiology – Treatment – Care".
- 2003 Extraordinary Professor at the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2010 Additional qualification in Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology.
- 2010 Extraordinary Professor at the University of Tuebingen.
- Since 1992 Creation and coordination of the Diabetes Register in Baden-Württemberg.
- 1997 First German publication on the incidence of diabetes mellitus among children and adolescents with diabetes mellitus in Germany.
Awards and Honors
- 1997 Award from the Ministry of Science of the State of Baden-Württemberg for the development of new teaching methods in the training of pediatricians.
- 2002 Prize for the Best Oral Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes, Graz.
- 2011 Menarini Prize for the project "The incidence of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents" in cooperation with S. Ehehalt.
- Since 2014 Category A "Best Lecturers" at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 2015 Annually included in the list of TOP doctors of the Focus magazine.
- Staufer Medal in Baden-Württemberg.
Memberships in Professional Societies and Organizations
- Working Group on Pediatric Diabetology (Founding Member 1992, Board Member 2003-2005, Representative 2008-2013).
- Since 2013 Coordinator of the Working Group on Pediatric Diabetology (AGPD).
- 2016 - 2018 Representative of the Working Group on Epidemiology.
- German Diabetes Society (Member since 1989, Board Member and Treasurer since 2015, Guideline Coordinator since 2019, Vice President since 2019).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Tübingen
Department of Pediatric Neurology and Developmental Disorders.
University Hospital Tuebingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.