Radical, extensive surgical resection of melanoma (program ID: 232879)
University Hospital Ulm
Karin Scharffetter-KochanekSpecialized in: dermatology, allergology
Department of Dermatology and Allergology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- tumor markers
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- CT/MRI scan
- preoperative care
- micrographic surgical treatment of facial skin melanoma
- histologically and immunohistochemically
examination of the remote tissues
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- Biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Dermatology and Allergology at the University Hospital Ulm offers the full range of therapy and diagnostics of skin diseases and allergic reactions. The department has 35 inpatient and 14 partially inpatient beds. The doctors use the very latest treatment methods, modern laser technologies, allowing to achieve the optimal therapeutic and aesthetic effect. Also, the department has an in-house laboratory for conducting all the necessary skin examinations. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Karin Scharffetter-Kochanek.
One of the key focuses of the department is the treatment of skin tumors, which is carried out within the framework of the specialized Skin Cancer Center (certified by the German Cancer Society). The treatment is based not only on the well-designed therapeutic strategy, but also on the regular psychological and social consultations. The dermatologists' scope of tasks also includes the treatment of rare skin tumors. Сertainly, all the therapeutic measures are selected on an individual basis. If necessary, the specialists from the related fields are involved.
It should be noted that since 01.10.2005, the department is a certified interdisciplinary center of the European Network of Centers of Excellence for Allergic Diseases (Global Allergy and Asthma European Network (GA2LEN)).
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin tumors
- Malignant melanoma (black skin cancer)
- Squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma (white skin cancer)
- Actinic keratosis (white skin cancer at the initial stage)
- Skin lymphomas (fungal mycosis, B-cell lymphomas)
- Rare malignant tumors (Merkel carcinoma, dermatofibrosarcoma, angiosarcoma)
- Benign tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions
- Hay fever
- Drug reactions
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases
- Vesiculobullous (bullous) skin diseases
- Connective tissue diseases (collagenosis), for example, lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, scleroderma
- Phototherapy for the treatment of various skin pathologies (polymorphic photodermatitis, allergies, lupus erythematosus, psoriasis, eczema, scleroderma, lymphomas and other diseases)
- Extracorporeal photopheresis in patients with graft versus host diseases after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation
- Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of precancerous skin lesions (for example, actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma)
- Diagnostics and treatment of wound healing disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin and mucous membrane infectious diseases (caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites)
- Lyme disease
- Lice and mites infestation
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Study of Medicine at the Rhine-Westphalian Technical University Aachen, University of Vienna (Austria).
Academic and Professional Career
- 2002 Invitation to the Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ulm University.
- 1993 - 1995 Heisenberg Scholarship, Institute of Human and Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA.
- 1988 Research Scholarship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, USA.
- 1987 - 1989 Research Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Connective Tissue Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich.
- Senior Physician at the Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University Hospitals of Duesseldorf and Cologne.
- Work at the Institute of Pathology at the Rhine-Westphalian Technical University Aachen.
Positions in the Scientific Societies and Committees
- Deputy Spokesperson, Geriatric Competence Center, Ulm.
- Board Member of the Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
- Board Member of the European Tissue Research Society.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2008, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
Main Research Focuses
- Skin diseases.
- Impaired wound healing.
- Skin aging processes: diagnostics, prevention and molecular bases.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm