Conservative treatment of Duodenitis (program ID: 233711)
University Hospital Ulm
Thomas SeufferleinSpecialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- barium passage
- abdominal ultrasound
- gastroscopy with injection of drugs
- analysis of hp (helicobacter pylori)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Ulm is ranked among the top medical institutions in Germany specializing in bowel cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. It provides high-quality medical care with the use of innovative medical advances. Also, key role is given to a human attitude and understanding of the individual needs of each patient. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Seufferlein.
The department is a part of the Comprehensive Cancer Centre Ulm (CCCU), therefore, its priorities include the treatment of malignant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The doctors of the department are proud of their achievements and numerous certificates in this field. These include, for example, certificates of the German Cancer Society (in the field of bowel, liver, pancreatic cancer treatment), ISO 9001: 2008 SGS certificate, certificate of the German Cancer Society, etc.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Liver diseases
- Liver lesion in fatty liver disease
- Liver cirrhosis and its complications
- Liver pathologies caused by alcohol and drug abuse
- Autoimmune liver disease
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary biliary cholangitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Storage diseases affecting the liver (for example, hemochromatosis, Wilson's disease)
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Viral hepatitis (acute and chronic viral infections A, B, C and D)
- Liver diseases in pregnant women
- Liver lesions in rheumatic diseases
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Esophageal carcinoma
- Stomach cancer
- Bowel cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Liver cancer
- Malignant tumors of the biliary tract and gallbladder
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases
- Intraoperative portal vein pressure measurement (direct)
- Transjugular liver biopsy
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting
- Interventional endoscopy (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes)
- Balloon enteroscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiodrainage
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers
- Tumor markers
- Surgical removal of tumors and metastases
- Radiation therapy
- Chemoradiation therapy
- Supportive therapeutic measures
- Local ablation methods (for example, radiofrequency ablation or laser-induced thermotherapy in single distant metastases of bowel cancer)
- Palliative endoscopic procedures
- Liver cancer treatment
- Liver transplantation (if indicated)
- Percutaneous ethanol injection therapy
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Microwave ablation
- Transarterial chemoembolization
- Drug therapy (Sorafenib (Nexavar®))
- Pain therapy
- Radionuclide and peptide receptor targeted radiation therapy in neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract
- Subsequent care and counseling
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Ultrasound examinations of the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Ultrasound-guided punctures
- Ultrasound diagnostics to identify alveococcus and echinococcus infection
- Bowel ultrasound
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound examinations
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign pancreatic diseases
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreas malformations
- Pancreatic benign tumors
- Laboratory tests (within the framework of the Gastroenterological Functional Laboratory)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1982 - 1984 Study of Medicine, University of Regensburg.
- 1984 - 1989 Study of Medicine, Technical University of Munich.
- 1985 - 1990 Doctor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich (Prof. M. Classen)
- 01.12.1990 Admission to medical practice.
Professional and Scientific Career
- 1989 - 1990 Military service as an Intern in the 612 Medical Center in Munich and the Bundeswehr Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology in Munich.
- 1990 - 1993 Scientific Assistant at the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology of the Free University of Berlin (Head: Prof. H.-J. Quabbe).
- 1993 - 1995 Postdoctoral Fellow of the German Research Foundation at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Growth Regulation Laboratory (Head: Dr. E. Rozengurt), London, UK.
- 1995 - 1996 Postdoctoral Fellow of the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Growth Regulation Laboratory (Head: Dr. E. Rozengurt), London, UK.
- 06/1996 Beginning of postgraduate training in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. Head of the Gastrointestinal Growth Regulation Laboratory at the Department of Internal Medicine I (Head: Prof. Dr. med. G. Adler), University Hospital Ulm.
- 17.10.2000 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 19.12.2000 Venia Legendi for Internal Medicine.
- 2001 Clinical Senior Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine I (focus on Endoscopy and Gastroenterological Oncology).
- 01.03.2003 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine with a focus on Gastroenterology.
- 2004 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Internal Medicine I.
- 09/2004 Completion of the distance learning course on Management of Health and Social Services, University of Kaiserslautern.
- 06/2005 Appointed as a Visiting Professor, University of Ulm.
- 10/2008 - 04/2012 Head of the Department of Internal Medicine I (Gastroenterology, Pulmonology) of the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg.
- Since 01.05.2012, Head of the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Ulm.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member of the Section for Colorectal and Pancreatic Cancer of the Working Group on Internal oncology (AIO).
- Chair of the Educational Committee of the European Society of Digestive Oncology (ESDO).
- Chairman of the Certification Society for Colon Cancer Centers of the German Cancer Society.
- Editor in Chief of the Zeitschrift für Gastroenterologie.
- Member of the Future Trends Committee of the United European Gastroenterology Foundation (UEG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm