Diagnosis and conservative treatment of meningitis (program ID: 333765)
University Hospital Ulm
Albert Christian LudolphSpecialized in: neurology
Department of Neurology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- blood culture
- neurological examination
- CT/MRI scan
- neuropsychological tests (on indications):
- ENMG (electroneuromyography)
- EEG (electroencephalography)
- SEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials)
- VEPs (visually evoked potentials)
- BAEP tests (brainstem auditory evoked potential)
- lumbar puncture with subsequent bacteriological CSF examination,
CSF smear microscopy, inoculation, and other diagnostic techniques
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Ulm is ranked among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease!
It offers the full range of services in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The high-precision medical equipment for hardware diagnostics, effective therapy in combination with the rich clinical experience of the department's doctors are the key to high treatment success rates and excellent reputation at the national and international levels.
The medical team of the department specializes in all fields of modern neurology, namely neurodegenerative diseases, epilepsy, neuro-oncological, neuro-urological diseases, neurofibromatosis, ischemic and inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system. In addition, the medical care is not limited with the primary care. The department has the specially trained team for the subsequent rehabilitation, including the measures for professional and home reintegration. It is obvious that the doctors' scope of activities also includes the provision of emergency medical care to patients.
The department’s service range covers the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and systemic motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease and other motor disorders
- Memory disorders and dementia
- Huntington's disease
- Multiple sclerosis and inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Oncological diseases of the cerebral and spinal cord (neuro-oncology)
- Neuro-urological diseases (in interdisciplinary collaboration)
- Urinary incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Detrusor sphincter dyssynergia (in multiple sclerosis)
- Neurogenic bladder (in paraplegia, Parkinson's disease, stroke)
- Functional bladder and bowel disorders of the bladder and bowel
- Swallowing disorders due to the neurological diseases
- Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome
- Phelan-McDermid syndrome
- Spasmodic torticollis
- Hemifacial spasm
- Other types of focal, segmental and multifocal dystonia
- Spastic paralysis (for example, in multiple sclerosis, after stroke)
- Excessive slobbering (sialorrhea), for example, in Parkinson's disease
- Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Other diseases
- 1979 - 1984 Resident, Neurology and Psychiatry, Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Muenster (Prof. G. Brune, Prof. R. Tölle).
- 1984 - 1985 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Institute of Neurotoxicology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York (Prof. P.S. Spencer, Prof. H.H. Schaumburg).
- 1985 - 1989 Staff Member of the Department of Neurology, University of Muenster (Prof. G. Brune).
- 1987 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Muenster, C2 Professor of Neurology.
- 1990 - 1992 Research Fellow, Visiting Associate Professor, Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Portland (Oregon).
- 1992 Staff Member of the Department of Epileptology, University of Bonn (Prof. C.E. Elger).
- 1993 - 1996 C3 Professor of Neurology, Vice Chairman, Department of Neurology, Humboldt University Berlin (Prof. K.-M. Einhäupl).
- 1996 C4 Professor of Neurology, Head of the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Ulm.
- 2003 Chair (elected) of the Academic Neuroscience Center, University of Ulm.
- 2005 - 2009 Deputy Chair and Chair (elected), European ALS-MND-Group.
- 2008 Scientific Advisory Board of the Thierry Latran Foundation.
- 2008 Chair, Scientific Council of the German Foundation for Spinal Cord Injury (DSQ).
- 2008 Chair of the Scientific Council of the German Society for Muscular Diseases.
- 2009 Scientific Advisory Board Member of the Foundation of Schilling Research Groups for Translational Neuroscience.
- 2009 Chair (elected), World Federation of Neurology, ALS Research Group.
- 2009 Reviewer for Neuroscience Board of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2010 - 2014 Vice Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ulm.
- 2013 Chair (elected), World Federation of Neurology, ALS Research Group.
- 2014 Delegate of the German Society of Neurology at the World Federation of Neurology.
- 2014 Chairman of the Neuroscience Society.
Prizes and Awards (recent)
- 2013 Honorary Member of the Mongolian Society of Neurology.
- 2015 Erb-Gedenkmünze of the German Society of Neurology (DGN).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Ulm