Hip osteoarthritis (coxarthrosis) treatment with hip replacement (hip endoprosthesis) (program ID: 370731)
Vivantes Am Urban Hospital Berlin
Mohssen HakimiSpecialized in: traumatology, orthopedics, hand surgery
Department of Traumatology, Orthopedics and Hand Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- x-ray examination of the hip
- MRI scan of the hip
- preoperative care
- hip replacement (hip endoprosthesis)
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- orthopedic appliances
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
How program is carried out
Preliminary preparation for hip replacement includes quitting smoking and drinking alcohol; cancelling non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (diclofenac, ibuprofen); cancelling anticoagulants (warfarin); normalization of body mass, if possible.
Preoperative examination, including consultation with an anesthesiologist and necessary related specialists, takes 1-2 days. According to its results, the most suitable endoprosthesis is selected.
Hip replacement. The operation is performed under general anesthesia. The patient lies on his side, the affected leg is bent and fixed in this position. The surgeon makes an incision 15-20 cm long, minimally traumatizing the muscles and nerve endings. Through this incision, miniature instruments are inserted to remove the damaged joint structures. Healthy bone is adjusted for further reliable implant fixation.
The surgeon installs a femoral stem in the center of the upper part of the femur. Ball-shaped head of the joint is fixed on it. The surgeon also implants a special liner that facilitates movement of the leg and protects the structures of the prosthesis. After the primary fixation of the prosthesis components, the doctor assesses the joint range of motion, as well as the length and symmetry of the lower limb.
The implant is fixed with cement or cementless method. The doctor treats the operating field with antiseptics, conducts its final revision and sutures the wound layer by layer. A temporary drainage is installed in the joint, and a bandage is applied on top.
Postoperative care. During the first day after the intervention the patient stays in the intensive care unit, under round-the-clock medical supervision. After that, with a smooth course of the postoperative period, the patient is transferred to a regular ward and the drains are removed. The range of motion expands gradually, from light toes movements to walking. Walking with the use of walking aids is allowed in 3-5 days after the operation.
- X-ray examination of the hip joints
- MRI scan of the hip joints, if available
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Traumatology, Orthopedics and Hand Surgery at the Vivantes Am Urban Hospital is an expert in the field of urgent and interdisciplinary medical care. The department specializes in the treatment of patients with fractures and injuries of the extremities, joints, pelvis and spine that were caused by sports, work injuries and road accidents. In the field of traumatology, special attention is paid to the hand, foot surgery and reconstructive surgery. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Mohssen Hakimi.
In the field of traumatology, special attention is paid to the hand, foot and reconstructive surgery. Medical services are provided in the department around the clock.
Doctors of sports medicine not only care about the mobility of athletes, but thanks to special experience in this field of medicine they provide services to young football players of the football club Hertha (U6 to U23) and to the national youth hockey team.
Another important area of the department is endoprosthetics. The range of services covers primary endoprosthetics of the hip, knee and shoulder joints, as well as complex operations to replace prostheses and to conduct planned arthroscopic surgery (minimally invasive surgery). Specialists of the department work with the most modern technologies and proven implants, thereby providing patients with a high quality of medical care.
Another key area of the department is hand surgery. The human hand consists of 27 separate bones, so hand surgeries are one of the most complicated. The department offers treatment for all injuries, fractures and diseases of the hand, wrist and associated ligaments, tendons, nerves and vessels. The main task of doctors specializing in hand surgery is to ensure a filigree maneuverability of the patient's hand. With this purpose the department also treats finger movement disorders and pain syndromes that have arisen as a result of pinching the nerve. Treatment of many non-severe illnesses is carried out on an outpatient basis.
The specialists of the department work on the principle “everything for patients”. In addition to patients` safety, a particularly important role is given to respectful and trustful cooperation between doctors and patients. Medical, nursing and therapeutic staff of the department are always ready to help patients in any matters.
The spectrum of medical services of the department in the field of traumatology are:
- Arthroscopic and open surgery
- Treatment of fractures with minimally invasive osteosynthesis of nails and methods
- Inverse arthroplasty of the shoulder joint
- Restoring stability of the shoulder after dislocation
- Impingement syndrome (constriction in the shoulder region due to irritation and degeneration)
- Forearm calcification
- Frozen shoulder syndrome
- Damage to the rotator cuff of the shoulder as a result of a rupture of tendons near the scapula)
- Shoulder joint rupture
- Fractures of clavicle
- Fracture of the prosthesis
Surgery of the hip joint
- Treatment of joint fractures with the system of osteosynthesis of the newest generation
- Dorsal, ventral and minimally invasive interventions
- Stabilization methods, including prosthesis of vertebrae
- Treatment of osteoporotic or traumatic fractures with strengthening and cementation from the inside (kyphoplasty / vertebroplasty)
Surgery of the extremities
- Treatment of bone, joint or soft tissue injuries
- Intramedullary and extramedullary osteosynthesis procedures, such as fixed-angle osteosynthesis systems, minimally invasive surgical methods
- External fixations
- Conservative and operative treatment of sports injuries of bone and soft tissues
- Treatment of knee injuries such as rupture of the cruciate ligament and damage to the meniscus
- Dislocation of the patella (medial dislocation of the knee cap)
- Shoulder injuries and shoulder instability
- Reconstruction of ligaments and reconstruction of tendons
- Modern cartilaginous surgery for chondral and osteochondral defects
Reconstructive and plastic surgery
- Plastic reconstruction and restoration of soft tissue defects
- Patchwork plastic (local and loose flaps)
- Correction of post-traumatic lesions (pseudarthritis) or deformities
Industrial injuries and their consequences
- Treatment of injuries resulting from accidents at work
- Expert evaluation and expert opinion on the consequences of an accident
- The department was approved by the VAV of accident insurance in Germany
The spectrum of medical services in the field of orthopedics:
- Endoprosthetics of the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and ankle joint
- Operations to replace endoprosthesis
- Treatment of periprosthetic fractures (with the help of special prostheses)
- Treatment of periprosthetic infections
- Conservative treatment of herniated intervertebral disc and facet syndrome with using infiltration under the control of CT (PRT, infiltration of facet joints)
- Microscopic surgery for hernias of intervertebral discs
- Minimally invasive treatment of rigidity
- Prosthesis of vertebrae for tumors and fractures
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty
- Denervation of facet joints
Arthroscopy and Sports Orthopedics
- Endoprosthetics of the knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle and wrist joint
- Cartilage surgery, eg microfracturing, treatment of osteochondral defects, transplantation of cartilaginous cells
- Arthroscopic and open surgery on the cruciate ligament and fixation of the meniscus
- Correction of deformities of the extremities (eg, varus or valgus deformity of the legs)
- Complex operations on the foot, eg, with hallux valgus and hallux rigidus
Orthopedic surgery of soft tissues
- Plasticity of all joints
- Decompression operations on peripheral nerves
- Septic soft tissue surgery
Treatment of tumors
- Interdisciplinary diagnosis of a tumor
- Producing biomaterial
- Removal of tumor and metastases
- Stabilizing operations of the spine and extremities
Range of medical services in the field of hand surgery includes:
Traumatic surgery of the hand
- Treatment of fractures of the wrist and wrist joint
- Reconstruction of tendons, nerves and vessels
- Operations for the replacement of tendons
- Arthroscopy of the wrist and finger joints
- Treatment of infections
Degenerative hand surgery
- Separation of the annular ligament (treatment of tendovaginitis)
- Extirpation with ganglion (arthroscopic)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Treatment of ulnar nerve injury
- Cubital channel syndrome
- Dupuytren's Contraction
- Necrosis of the semilunar bone
- Treatment of pseudarthritis, partial and total arthrodesis
Tumors of the hand
- Tumor removal, biomaterial sampling
- Interdisciplinary diagnostics
- Since 2012 Director of the Department of Traumatology, Orthopedic Surgery and Hand Surgery, Vivantes Urban Hospital, Berlin, Germany.
- 2010 Associate Professor at the University Hospital in Duesseldorf PhD: “Investigation of the Osteoinductive Effect of Platelet-rich Plasma”.
- 2005 Senior Consultant, Department of Traumatology and Hand Surgery of the University of Dusseldorf, Germany.
- 1995 Education in Orthopedic Surgery, Traumatology and Hand Surgery at the University Hospital in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1993 Neurology Department at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, USA.
- 1988 Medical Studies in Homburg-Saar, Germany.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Vivantes - Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Hip osteoarthritis (coxarthrosis) treatment with hip replacement (hip endoprosthesis)
- Hospital: Vivantes Am Urban Hospital Berlin
- access_time Duration:
There are 97 hip osteoarthritis (coxarthrosis) treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics