Vivantes Neukölln Hospital Berlin
Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery (359037)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the Vivantes Neukölln Hospital offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department specializes in the diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the lungs, respiratory tract, pleura, mediastinum in adults and children. Of particular interest is the treatment of lung cancer. The department is headed by Dr. med. Stephan Eggeling.
In 2012, the department was certified as the Lung Cancer Center by the German Cancer Society. This fact indicates a high quality of lung cancer treatment, which corresponds to the strictest standards of modern medicine.
Lung cancer treatment begins with a comprehensive diagnostics, during which the doctors determine the type of tumor, on which the choice of further treatment depends. In addition, the stage of the disease and the physical condition of the patient are necessarily taken into account. In the early stages of lung cancer, the most effective treatment is surgical removal of the tumor. In the advanced stages, doctors use chemotherapy in combination with radiation therapy.
It should be noted that the department is equipped with the most advanced medical equipment, hybrid operating rooms with integrated imaging systems. Therefore, surgeons can conduct minimally invasive and open interventions with the best possible accuracy.
To ensure both comprehensive diagnosis and treatment, the department works in close cooperation with specialists from related fields. For example, for diagnostics during the treatment, there are often involved doctors from the Department of Pulmonology, Oncology, Radiation Therapy and Intensive Care.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of pleural tumors (malignant mesothelioma)
- Surgical treatment of tumors of the chest wall and sternum
- Surgical treatment, incl. laser surgery for the treatment of lung cancer and lung metastases due to primary tumors in other organs
- Diagnostics and treatment of enlarged lymph nodes in the thoracic cavity
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery for the treatment of pneumothorax
- Minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of pleural empyema
- Operations for the treatment of tumors, trauma and stenosis of the trachea
- Minimally invasive (thoracoscopic) thymectomy for the treatment of myasthenia gravis and thymus tumors
- Minimally invasive interventions to correct the funnel-shaped chest
- Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for the treatment of excessive hand sweating
- Interventional bronchoscopy in combination with laser surgery for the treatment of bleeding or occlusions due to a tumor in the bronchial system
- And many other medical services
- Berlin, Germany