German Heart Center Munich
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment (579909)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology, congenital heart defect treatment
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and conservative treatment of common cardiac pathologies and congenital heart defects in children and adults. The scope of tasks of the department’s specialists includes catheter interventional procedures (about 800 diagnostic and 300 therapeutic interventions are performed annually). With more than 30 years of successful clinical experience, the department holds leading position in its field of specialization not only in Germany, but also in Europe. During the entire treatment period, the department's cardiologists not only provide young patients with first-class medical care, but also surround them with sensitive care and try to establish the most confidential and friendly relations with them. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Peter Ewert.
The department annually diagnoses and treats about 8,000 patients (6,000 outpatients and 2,000 inpatients). The department has advanced diagnostic equipment, two modern digital, two-projection systems for catheter procedures (600 catheter tests annually). In addition, the department's specialists are highly competent in the field of catheter interventions for therapeutic purposes, for example, balloon dilatation in valve stenosis (aortic valve, pulmonary valve), balloon dilatation and/or stent implantation in vascular stenosis (pulmonary arteries, aorta), closure of atrial and ventricular septal defects, patent ductus arteriosus occlusion, etc.
The scope of tasks of the pediatric cardiologists include the comprehensive diagnostics of young patients with cardiac complaints, including preoperative diagnostics. The classical cardiological examinations are complemented by "ultrafast" computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. In addition, the department operates a high-tech cardiac intensive care unit, which provides care for patients after surgery. The unit is equipped with 16 fully equipped beds and is the largest pediatric cardiac intensive care unit in Germany.
The department's doctors do everything possible to make the young patients feel as comfortable as possible and have the opportunity to get distracted from the treatment, which is sometimes quite lengthy and difficult. Therefore, the department is equipped with special playing rooms, rooms for accommodation of mothers with children. Children and their parents are provided with all types of psychological support, which has a positive effect on the recovery dynamics of young patients.
Also an important focus of the department’s work is counseling and medical care for adults with congenital heart defects.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- 2D echocardiography
- M-mode echocardiography
- Fetal echocardiography (with 3D reconstruction)
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Heart X-ray
- Cardiac catheterization procedures
- Balloon dilatation of the aorta and pulmonary valve
- Angioplasty and stent implantation in pulmonary artery stenosis and descending aorta
- Closure of atrial and ventricular septal defects
- Closure of collaterals, coronary fistulas and open arterial duct
- Percutaneous pulmonary valve replacement (Melody Klappe)
- Electrophysiological diagnostics and treatment of cardiac arrhythmias
- ECG (including long-term and stress ECG), spiroergometry and examination using event recorder
- Catheter diagnostic methods and catheter ablation
- Mapping of all primary and secondary atrial arrhythmias using the CARTO system
- Atrial and ventricular tachycardia ablation in children with a healthy heart and children with complex heart defects, for example, after Fontaine's surgery, after atrial remodeling in the case of transposition of the great vessels
- Implantation of modern pacemakers and defibrillators (single-chamber, dual-chamber and biventricular) in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Functional heart diagnostics in children and adults with congenital heart defects
- Blood pressure measurement
- Blood oxygen saturation measurement
- Pulmonary function testing
- Oxygen absorption test
- Carbon dioxide test
- Doppler ultrasound examination of blood flow in blood vessels
- Laboratory tests
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in heart failure
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in pulmonary failure
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1983 - 1984 Education at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1984 - 1989 Study of Medicine at the Georg-August University of Goettingen.
- 1986 Department of Pediatrics, Granollers Hospital, Barcelona, Spain.
- 1987 Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cadiz, Spain.
- 1988 - 1989 Internal Medicine and Surgery, Pediatrics in Oldenburg Hospital.
- 03.05.1990 Surgery, University of Alicante, within the Erasmus Program.
Clinical and Scientific Activities
- 1990 - 1991 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatrics, Lübeck Medical School.
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatrics, Lübeck Medical School.
- 1994 - 2000 Assistant Physician in the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Berlin.
- Since 2000 Senior Physician in the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Berlin.
- Since 2002 Leading Senior Physician in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Berlin.
- Since 2008, Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Berlin.
- Since 2012 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment at the German Heart Center Munich.
Diplomas and Certificates
- 1986 Pre-admission to medical practice.
- 1992 Admission to medical practice.
- 1992 American State Examination (TOEFL and ECFMG).
- 1992 Doctoral Degree. Subject: "Echocardiographic volume measurement of the right and left ventricle in healthy children and children with atrial septal defect".
- 1996 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 1996 Board certification in Pediatric Cardiology.
- 2001 Advanced training in Special Pediatric Resuscitation.
- 2003 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Interventional closure of atrial defects: special indications and new therapeutic strategies".
- 2009 Additional qualification "Adults with congenital heart defects".
- Pediatric cardiology.
- Transcatheter operations for the treatment of congenital heart defects.
- Special pediatric resuscitation.
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defect Treatment.
German Heart Center Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.