Academic Hospital Bogenhausen Munich
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastroenterological Oncology (113801)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, internal medicine, oncology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastroenterological Oncology at the Academic Hospital Bogenhausen provides treatment for all diseases and disorders of the digestive system, including malignant tumors. Using modern equipment, the department can examine and treat diseases of the esophagus, stomach and the bowel, as well as important digestion organs (pancreas, liver and gallbladder). Annually about 4000 patients undergo treatment in the department. The Head of the Department is Wolfgang Schepp.
The department is a certified center for the treatment of bowel and pancreatic cancer, and it is also the Cancer Center.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastroenterological Oncology at the Academic Hospital Bogenhausen ranks among the top German departments specializing in colon cancer treatment!
Cancer treatment in the department is based on two key principles. First, treatment plans are created in accordance with therapeutic protocols, developed and regularly updated by the German Society for the Fight against Cancer (Deutsche Krebsgesellschaft). The second principle is a complex, multidisciplinary approach to treatment. Not only specialists of different directions, but also specially trained care staff, psychologists and social workers make joint efforts for the benefit of the patients.
Along with conventional methods of treatment, such as chemo- and radiotherapy, modern treatment methods are also used, for example, in the treatment of metastases. This boosts recovery chances for patients with bowel cancer with a small number of metastases. Sometimes, surgical removal of metastases is advisable, in other cases the specialists of the Academic Hospital Bogenhausen use modern interventional radiology: radiofrequency ablation allows radiologists to affect metastases with high temperature caused by high-frequency current and thereby destroy them. This method is used primarily in the treatment of the liver and lungs metastases.
Priorities of the department include:
- Bowel cancer
- Pancreas cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Esophageal carcinoma
- Cancer of the liver and bile ducts
- Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis (chronic inflammatory bowel disease)
- Reflux, diverticula and disorders of gastric system
- Achalasia. Functional disorders of the esophagus
- Inflammation of the liver and cirrhosis
- Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bonn (German Scholarship Foundation).
- 1981 Doctorate in medicine and Admission to medical practice.
- 1981 – 1982 Scholarship holder of the German Research Foundation, Institute of Pharmacology of the University Tuebingen (Prof. Dr. J. Ruoff).
- Postgraduate training in the field of Internal Medicine at the Medical Policlinic of the University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. F. Krück) and at the Medical Clinic 2 of the Technical University of Munich (Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. mult. M. Classen).
- 1988 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1989 Habilitation and appointment as an Associate Professor.
- 1989 – 1990 Research Associate, University of California, Los Angeles (Profs. A.H. Soll, J.H. Walsh, George Sachs).
- 1990 Board certification in Gastroenterology and Senior Physician at the Medical Clinic 2 of the Technical University of Munich.
- 1993 Early appointment as Extraordinary Professor due to extraordinary scientific achievements.
- 1997 C3 Professor of Gastroenterology at the Faculty of Medicine of the Technical University of Munich.
- Since 1997, Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastrointestinal Oncology, Munich Municipal Hospital Group-Bogenhausen (since 2005 – Munich Municipal Hospital Group GmbH).
- 2003 – 2006 Medical Director, Academic Hospital Bogenhausen.
- Endoscopy and endosonography of the digestive organs, with emphasis on endoscopic-interventional endotherapy of early cancers (of the esophagus, stomach, colon, and rectum) and of the diseases of biliary and pancreatic ducts.
- Diagnosis and drug therapy of all malignant diseases of the digestive organs.
- Drug Tumor Therapy (2007).
- Guidelines Development Commissions of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS): "Gastroesophageal reflux disease" (2004 and 2011 (lead)), "Gastric carcinoma" (2008), "Helicobacter pylori infection and peptic ulcer disease" (2015).
- Member of the Board, Federal Association of Gastroenterology Germany (BVGD).
- Deputy Chairman, Association of German Colon Cancer Centers (ADDZ).
- Head of the Commission for Medical Classification and Health Economics, German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- Member of the Advisory Board of DGVS.
- Member of the Management Board of DGVS.
- Conference President of the 73rd Annual Conference of DGVS (Visceral Medicine 2018), Munich.
- Fellow, European Board of Gastroenterology.
- Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association (AGA).
- German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- German Society for Endoscopy and Imaging Techniques (DGEBV).
- Gastro Liga, Member of the Scientific Advisory Board.
- Society for Gastroenterology in Bavaria.
- German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- Association of Bavarian Internists.
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Working Association Internal Oncology (AIO).
- Tumor Center Munich, Project Group Gastrointestinal Tumors.
Prizes, Awards and Other Distinctions
- Research Prize of the Federal Minister of Health (1984).
- Advancement Award for Clinical Gastroenterology of the Society for Gastroenterology in Bavaria (1985 and 1994).
- C.A. Ewald Prize of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (1990).
- S. Thannhauser Prize of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (1991).
- Presidential Poster, German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, Ludwigshafen (1997).
- Digestive Disease Week (DDW) Poster of Distinction, American Gastroenterological Association (1998).
- Presidential Poster, German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (2001).
- Clinical Advancement Award of Bayerische Landesbank, Munich (2007).
- FOCUS list of doctors "Top Mediziner" (regular listing 2007 – 2016).
- Rating "The 100 best doctors" (2011).
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastroenterological Oncology.
Academic Hospital Bogenhausen Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home