Academic Hospital Bogenhausen Munich
Department of Thoracic Surgery (113815)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
About the department
With the exception of lung transplantation, the thoracic surgery department at Academic Hospital Bogenhausen offers the full range of thoracic surgical options from small interventions (taking biopsy samples or installing drains) to large, technically complex tumor removal operations. A separate focus is made on video-assisted thoracoscopy, so that most interventions are performed by this gentle minimally invasive method. The head physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Bodner.
The department also specializes in complete, but sparing tissue removal of lung metastases. The goal of metastatic surgery is to remove all suspicious tissues with as little as possible removal of healthy lung tissue. This tactic is of paramount importance, since even in the case of a successful operation, further metastases may develop and cause a re-intervention.
Main areas of the department include:
- Lung metastases
- Thymomas and myasthenia gravis
- Day-to-day cancer hospital
- Psychological support / psycho-oncology
- Advisory Board of Palliative Medicine
- 10/1990 - 07/1996 Study of medicine at the University of Innsbruck, the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 13/07/1996 Doctoral degree in general medicine. Dissertation: "Importance of perioperative infections after pancreas transplantation".
- 11/1996 - 03/1998 Postdoctoral training, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Innsbruck.
- 04/1998 - 03/2005 Training in surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Innsbruck.
- 04/2005 Specialist in Surgery.
- 18/10/2005 Senior Lecturer.
- 23/03/2006 Master’s Degree course in valeology, UMIT, Hall, Austria.
- 23/03/2006 Master of Science, Valeology.
- 07/2007 Specialist in Thoracic Surgery.
- 2006/2007 USMLE I, USMLE II, USMLE III (licensing exams for admission to medical residency).
- 01/05/2007 ECFMG Certificate.
- 09/2007 - 06/2008 Specialist in Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, Southern California University, Los Angeles, California, Department of Surgery, Head: Tom Demeester MD.
- 07/2008 - 09/2008 Specialist in Thoracic Surgery, Focus: Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery, the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY, Chief of Division: Scott Swanson, MD.
- 10/2008 - 12/2008 Specialist in Thoracic Surgery. Focus: Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery, the Brigham and Women´s Hospital, Boston, MA, Chief of Division: David Sugarbaker, MD.
- 01/2009 - 01/2011 Deputy Head of the Section of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Abdominal, Transplant and Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Innsbruck.
- 02/2011 - 03/2015 Head of the Section of Thoracic Surgery, Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic, Transplant and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Giessen.
- 06/2011 Board Certified: European Board of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons.
- 07/2013 Fellow of the European Board of Thoracic Surgery.
- 04/2015 Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Bogenhausen Hospital, Munich Municipal Hospital.
Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Academic Hospital Bogenhausen Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home