Hospital Bogenhausen Munich
Department of Rheumatology (114133)
Specialized in: rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Rheumatology at the Hospital Bogenhausen Munich offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the patients with inflammatory and non-inflammatory rheumatic diseases affecting joints, muscles, tendons and internal organs. The department's medical team has over 30 years of experience in the treatment of rheumatic diseases, so the patients can be sure that they will receive the best possible medical care. In addition, the specialists have excellent qualifications in the diagnostics and effective treatment of rare types of rheumatic diseases. The department provides treatment to more than 1,600 patients every year. Many patients come to the department in order to get a second opinion, since the establishment of an accurate diagnosis plays a decisive role in the treatment success. Medical care for the patients can be provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Harald Mörtlbauer.
The first stage of treatment is diagnostics, which allows the doctors to make an accurate diagnosis and develop an optimal therapeutic regimen. The treatment of rheumatic diseases is based on the intake of drugs, which are prescribed to each patient individually. To successfully treat rheumatic pathologies, the department's doctors use immunosuppressants and biologicals. Today, it is biologicals that allow the doctors to achieve compensation for the disease and improve the patient's quality of life. Drug therapy is complemented by physiotherapy, therapeutic baths, therapeutic exercises, occupational therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and pain therapy. The main goal of the department's doctors is to relieve pain and improve the patient's mobility. The duration of the course of treatment is usually at least 14 days.
It should be noted that the department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis, and is also a certified Osteoporosis Center. The patients with osteoporosis receive medical care from an interdisciplinary team of doctors consisting of rheumatologists, endocrinologists, pulmonologists, orthopedists and traumatologists, radiologists, physiotherapists and other specialists. In case of suspected osteoporosis, the patient should undergo bone mineral density measurement (DXA), X-ray, CT, MRI, musculoskeletal ultrasound scanning and laboratory tests. If the diagnostic results confirm the presence of osteoporosis, the patient will be immediately prescribed comprehensive treatment, which includes drug therapy, physiotherapy, therapeutic baths, therapeutic exercises and other therapeutic measures that help prevent the progression of the pathology.
The treatment of arthritis is of particular interest to the department's medical team as well. The department specializes in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis, gout and pseudoarthrosis. As a rule, the treatment regimen consists of drug therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, behavioral therapy and pain therapy. The intensity and duration of treatment are determined for each patient individually.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of arthritides
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of gout
- Diagnostics and treatment of vasculitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of collagenosis, including mixed forms
- Diagnostics and treatment of ankylosing spondylitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic scleroderma
- Diagnostics and treatment of fibromyalgia
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other pathologies
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Drug therapy with immunosuppressants and biologicals
- Therapeutic baths
- Occupational therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Pain therapy
- Other treatment methods
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Study of Human Medicine at the University of Regensburg and the Technical University of Munich.
- Doctoral thesis defense at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Regensburg.
- Preparation for board certification in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology, Department of Rheumatology at the Hospital Bogenhausen Munich.
- Senior Physician and later Managing Senior Physician, Department of Rheumatology at the Hospital Bogenhausen Munich.
- Certified by the German Society of Osteology (DVO).
- Since 01.06.2018 Chief Physician of the Department of Rheumatology at the Hospital Bogenhausen Munich.
- Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Treatment of psoriatic arthritis.
- Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis.
- Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Treatment of systemic scleroderma.
- Treatment of polymyositis.
- Treatment of Sjögren's syndrome.
- Treatment of mixed collagenosis.
- Treatment of undifferentiated collagenosis.
- Treatment of vasculitis.
- Treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis.
- Treatment of microscopic polyangiitis.
- Treatment of giant cell arteritis.
- Treatment of reactive arthritis.
- Treatment of gout.
- Treatment of osteoporosis.
- Treatment of Paget's disease.
- Treatment of osteomalacia.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Osteology.
- German Rheuma League.
- Professional Association of German Internists.
Photo of the doctor: (c) München Klinik Bogenhausen
Department of Rheumatology.
Hospital Bogenhausen Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.