Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich
Department of Vascular Surgery (579927)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of various diseases of the blood vessels. The focus is on the surgical interventions for the treatment of vascular aneurysms, for example, abdominal aortic aneurysm, varicose veins, procedures for the formation and correction of dialysis shunts, treatment of vascular tumors, as well as vascular stenosis. The service spectrum is also complemented by reconstructive interventions on blood vessels, for example, for chronic wounds or diabetic foot syndrome. The clinical practice is based on the use of the very latest treatments and the high professionalism of the surgeons, which in combination provides the best treatment result.
The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Richard Brandl. He has performed many successful vascular operations. He underwent professional training in the best medical institutions in Germany, as well as has internships at the prestigious medical institutions in the United States and Great Britain.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of carotid stenosis
- Reconstructive surgery
- Open thromboendarterectomy with shunting
- Eversional thromboendarterectomy
- Reconstructive surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of peripheral arterial occlusion
- Catheter intervention and stent implantation
- Surgical resection with vascular reconstruction using patch plastic surgery
- Shunt formation
- Combined interventions
- Diagnostics and treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Open surgery to implant vascular prostheses
- Endovascular stenting using catheter techniques
- Diagnostics and treatment of lower limb artery aneurysms
- Popliteal artery surgery
- Surgical removal of the aneurysm by shunting or implanting the endoprosthesis
- Diagnostics and treatment of end-stage renal disease
- Formation or corrective surgery of arteriovenous dialysis fistulas
- Dialysis shunt installation
- Implantation of a catheter into the atrium (for hemodialysis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicose veins
- Other vascular diseases and surgical treatment methods
- 1975 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1982 State Medical Examination and admission to medical practice.
- Doctoral degree, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (defense with honors). Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Hospital Grosshadern, Munich.
- 1988 Title of Surgeon.
- 1989 Assistant Physician, Department of Vascular Surgery, Municipal Hospital Neuperlach Munich.
- 1990 Partial specialization in Vascular Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 1990 - 1999 Study Internships Abroad, USA and UK.
- 1992 Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery and Head of the Section of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Regensburg.
- 1994 Senior Physician in the Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1994 - 2002 Head of the Working Groups on Vascular Surgery in the Region.
- 1995 - 1999 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Br1583/1-1 und Br1583/1-2 for research projects on prognostic indicators of recurrent stenosis.
- 1997 Founding Member of the Commission for Ultrasound Diagnostics of the German Society of Vascular Surgery. Foundation of the Interdisciplinary Research Laboratory at the Institute of General Pathology and Pathological Anatomy at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1998 Habilitation and PD title; Alexis Carrel Scientific Prize of the German Society of Vascular Surgery; recognizes as a Qualified instructor in Ultrasound Diagnostics by the Bavarian Association of Compulsory Health Insurance; additional specialization in Phlebology, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 1998 - 2000 Review activities in journals: GEFÄSSCHIURGIE (the official body of the German, Austrian and Swiss Society of Vascular Surgery), VASA, Der Chirurg, Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift and The Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon.
- 1999 Participation in the design and construction of the Interdisciplinary Vascular Outpatient Department at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2002 Chief Physician in the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Municipal Hospital Munich Schwabing (since 01.07.2006, the Department of Vascular Surgery, Schwabing Clinic, Munich Municipal Hospital Group GmbH); Founding Member of the Scientific Committee of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 2003 Permission to carry out the advanced training courses in Vascular Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association; permission to carry out the advanced training courses in Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2004 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor of Vascular Surgery at the Technical University of Munich.
- 2005 Permission for training of Medical Specialists in Vascular Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2006 Foundation of the Interdisciplinary Center for Vascular Surgery at the Hospital Munich Schwabing and its recognition as a certified Center for Vascular Surgery by the German Society for Angiology, German Society for Vascular Surgery and the German Society of Interventional Radiology.
- 2007 Appointment as an Examination Committee Member on Vascular Surgery of the Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2009 Permission to carry out the advanced training courses in Phlebology, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2012 Opening of the Private Practice in Vascular Surgery and Phlebology in Munich.
- 2012 - 2013 Medical Consultant in Vascular Surgery and Phlebology, Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich.
- Since 2013 Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society for Vascular Surgery and Vascular Medicine.
- German Society of Angiology.
- German Society of Phlebology.
- Bavaria State Professional Association of German Internists.
- Working Group of Private German Vascular Surgeons.
- Professional Association of German Surgeons.
- Bavarian Red Cross.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Barmherzige Brüder Krankenhaus München
Department of Vascular Surgery.
Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.