Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich
Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology (580011)
Specialized in: cardiology, pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich offers the full range of services in these fields and specializes in the treatment of patients with cardiovascular diseases and pulmonary pathologies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Roland Schmidt.
The department has all the modern diagnostic capabilities for early detection, accurate diagnosis and risk assessment for diseases of the heart, blood vessels and lungs. The specialists of the department have excellent qualifications in the field of contrast-enhanced stress echocardiography, spiroergometry, ergometry, flexible bronchoscopy, pleural drainage, implantation of pacemakers and cardioverter-defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization therapy.
In addition, the department operates a state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which serves to perform minimally invasive procedures, such as balloon dilatation, catheter procedures, stenting and recanalization in chronic coronary artery occlusion. The Chest Pain Unit operates around the clock (certification of the German Society of Cardiology) and provides optimal medical care to patients with urgent and acute clinical situations.
The department’s special offer is a comprehensive program for diagnosing physical data of athletes (both professional and amateur). This program covers ECG, ergometry, spiroergometry with lactate measurement, heart ultrasound and pulmonary function testing. This specialized diagnostics allows for the selection of the optimal set of exercises for training, which will develop physical endurance as best as possible and at the same time will not harm human health.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Inflammatory diseases of the myocardium, pericardium and endocardium (for example, endocarditis)
- Carotid stenosis
- Myocardial infarction
- Coronary heart disease
- Heart rhythm disorders (cardiac arrhythmias)
- Heart valve diseases (for example, stenosis, insufficiency)
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery occlusion
- Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases
- Disorders of the respiratory muscles
- Pneumonia (lung inflammation)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Collapsed lung (pneumothorax)
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Lung and pleural cancers
- Pulmonary embolism
- Pleurisy (pleural inflammation)
- Sleep-related breathing problems (for example, obstructive sleep apnea)
- Other heart and lung diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of the department includes:
- Catheter techniques
- Coronary angiography
- Left and right heart catheterization
- Balloon dilatation (percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty) and stenting
- Cardiac conduction assessment
- Recanalization in chronic coronary vascular occlusions, rotablation
- Electrophysiological diagnosis of heart arrhythmias
- Implantation of heart support systems
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Event recorder implantation
- Cardiac resynchronisation therapy
- Monitoring the proper operation of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Ultrasound heart diagnostics
- Cardiac echocardiography, including transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Long-term heart studies
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Holter monitoring (24 and 48 hours)
- Stress heart studies
- Doppler sonography and duplex scanning of the vessels of the neck and lower extremities (for example, in case of thrombosis, arterial occlusions, embolism)
- Catheter techniques
- Lavage, bronchoalveolar lavage
- Various forms of biopsy, including transbronchial biopsy
- Hemostasis and sclerotherapy using argon projector
- Pulmonary function testing
- Whole-body plethysmography using bronchodilators or provocative tests
- Diffusion capacity testing
- Obstructive sleep apnea screening
- Pleural and lung ultrasound
- Puncture and drainage
- Pleural and lung puncture
- Pleural drainage
- Stress lung studies
- Respiratory therapy
- Intensive artificial lung ventilation
- Artificial lung ventilation at home
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Since March 2011, Prof. Dr. med. Roland Schmidt has been in charge of the Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich. Prior to this, the doctor worked as a Senior Physician at the German Heart Center and the Department of Internal Medicine I at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich. The doctor received his medical education in Muenster and New York. He underwent practical training at the Technical University of Munich. In 2007, the doctor had his board certification in Internal Medicine, and in the same year he received additional qualification in Emergency Medical Care. In 2008, an additional qualification in Internal Intensive Care followed. In 2009, the doctor received specialization in Cardiology. In 2007, Prof. Schmidt underwent habilitation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Barmherzige Brüder Krankenhaus München
Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology.
Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.