Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology (580017)
Specialized in: diagnostic and interventional radiology
About the department
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich offers the full range of examinations and treatment methods using ionizing radiation. In addition to conventional X-ray diagnostics, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the tasks of the department's doctors include minimally invasive interventions. The department is equipped with the state-of-art medical equipment, which allows not only to provide high-precision diagnostics and the highest treatment standards, but also the best possible protection of the patient's body from negative radiation exposure. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Tobias Jakobs.
The main therapeutic options of the department include the treatment of vascular diseases (for example, occlusive peripheral arterial disease), varicocele, revascularization of dialysis shunts, minimally invasive treatment of liver pathologies (for example, chemoembolization, thermal ablation), minimally invasive therapy of kidney tumors (in collaboration with the Department of Urology), imaging-guided punctures and drainages.
The department has an innovative picture archiving and communication system, which allows for an access to all imaging diagnostic data for all departments of the hospital, specialists of partner clinics and private practitioners. This system allows to save all images for 10 years, which also helps to ensure a proper monitoring of the patient after treatment (comparison of old and current images in dynamics).
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostic radiology
- Digital x-ray examinations
- Multislice computed tomography (MSCT), including with contrast enhancement
- Classical magnetic resonance imaging, including with contrast enhancement
- Special MRI examinations
- MR angiography (imaging of the arteries and veins of the whole body)
- MR cholangiopancreatography (imaging of the bile ducts and pancreatic ducts)
- MR defecography
- Cardiac MRI
- Liver MRI using a special contrast agent to image liver cells
- Interventional radiology
- CT-guided minimally invasive interventions
- High-speed punch biopsy of suspicious tissues of all organs and anatomical structures of the body (liver, lungs, bones, kidneys, adrenal glands, pancreas, lymph nodes, muscles)
- Drainage and fluid discharge (for example, in case of abscesses, seromas, biliomas, lymphocele)
- Marking of malignant tissue before further treatment (surgery, radiation, CyberKnife therapy)
- Radiofrequency ablation and microwave ablation for liver, kidney, lung and bone tumors
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty in osteoporotic vertebral fractures and osteolysis, which may lead to instability
- Percutaneous osteosynthesis of pelvic bones in case of fractures, treatment of traumatic sacral fractures
- Pain therapy for spinal diseases (periradicular therapy, facet joint block)
- Nerve plexus block to treat progressive tumors that cause pain
- Catheter therapy for vascular diseases
- Treatment of arterial circulation disorders using balloon dilatation (percutaneous transluminal angioplasty) and stenting
- Interventions for vascular occlusion (for example, for aneurysms, internal bleeding, uterine myomas, treatment of vascular malformations)
- Catheter intervention in oncopathologies (for example, embolization of tumors of various localization, transarterial chemoembolization of primary and secondary liver tumors)
- Endovascular implantation of aortic prosthesis
- Implantation of port systems
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting
- CT-guided minimally invasive interventions
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Education and Professional Career
- 1994 - 1996 Preclinical medical training at the Georg-August University of Goettingen and at the University of Vienna.
- 1996 - 2001 Study of Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the University of California, San Francisco.
- 2001 - 2002 Internship, Institute of Clinical Radiology, University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2002 - 2008 Research Fellow, Institute of Clinical Radiology, University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2004 PhD thesis defense (magna cum laude), Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Quantitative determination of calcium levels in the coronary arteries using electron beam tomography and conventional computed tomography".
- 2007 Research Fellowship in Interventional Radiology, Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA.
- 2008 - 2010 Senior Physician and Head of the Department of Angiography and Interventional Radiology at the Institute of Clinical Radiology, University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2009 Board certification in Radiology.
- 2010 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Local imaging-guided minimally invasive therapy of liver tumors".
- 2011 Head of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich.
Clinical and Research Focuses
- Musculoskeletal injuries and diseases.
- Liver and abdominal MRI.
- Lung and abdominal CT.
- CT-guided minimally invasive surgical treatment of cancer.
- Minimally invasive treatment of oncological diseases with the help of catheter techniques.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Radiology (DRG).
- German Society of Interventional Radiology (DeGIR).
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE).
- European Society of Radiology (ESR).
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
- European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology (ESGAR).
- Member of the Editorial Board of European Radiology (Eur Radiol).
- Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (JVIR).
- Journal of CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology (CVIR).
- Fortschritte auf dem Gebiet der Röntgenstrahlen und bildgebenden Verfahren (RöFo).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Barmherzige Brüder Krankenhaus München
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology.
Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.