Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology (120)
A. J. Dormann
Specialized in: internal medicine, gastroenterology
The Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide, headed by Prof. Dr. med. Arno J. Dormann, is a modern interregional health care facility providing top-class medicine. With 144 planned beds, the Department ranks among the largest centers of internal medicine in the region. The Department annually treats about 5,000 inpatients and 12,000 outpatients.
The main focuses of the Department at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide include hematology and oncology, conservative cardiology, diabetology, infectology, emergency medicine and gastroenterology. To ensure medical care of high quality at the Department of Internal Medicine at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide are available a highly qualified the team of 25 assistant physicians and 6 senior physicians, as well as the state-of-the-art hardware equipment.
The range of diagnostic and therapeutic services of the Department of Internal Medicine includes the following diseases:
- Oncological diseases (solid tumors, as well as diseases of the blood, hematopoietic organs and lymphatic system
- Cardiovascular diseases (e.g. heart attack, heart failure, arrhythmias, hypertension, strokes, pacemaker implantation)
- Vascular diseases (e.g. arterial stenosis, thromboses)
- Respiratory system diseases (e.g. pneumonia, asthma, emphysema, pulmonary hypertension)
- Infectious diseases (e.g. during travelling, tuberculosis)
- Immunological disorders (e.g. rheumatic diseases, vascular inflammation)
- Intensive care medicine upon all acute and life-threatening diseases, including renal replacement therapy
- Metabolic disorders (e.g. diabetes, disorders of various hormonal endocrine systems, such as thyroid)
In the field of gastroenterology, the Department at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Arno Dormann offers an optimal diagnosis and treatment of all digestive diseases (diseases of the esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and intestines). A great attention is also paid to the development of multidisciplinary treatment programs; the clinical pictures of cancer patients are discussed at the interdisciplinary cancer consultations.
The Department of Gastroenterology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide provides the full range of general and specialized gastroenterology, including diseases of the liver and biliary tract, inflammatory bowel diseases, as well as diseases of the pancreas, esophagus and functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. The Department also specializes in gastroenterological endoscopy and oncological diseases of the digestive organs. The standardized and interdisciplinary treatment of patients with colorectal cancer is provided in the certified Center for Intestinal Diseases.
A highly qualified, motivated, friendly medical team of the Department of Gastroenterology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Arno Dormann works for the benefit of patients. The medical team is distinguished due to its long experience in the treatment of gastroenterological diseases. The patients receive high-quality medical care that is provided by means of modern endoscopes based on innovative HDTV technology.
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Gastroenterology at the Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide include:
- Diseases of the esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and intestines
- Functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
- Extensive experience in the field of gastroenterological diagnosis
- Certified Intestinal Center for Colorectal Cancer
- Center for Reflux Disease for patients with pathologically increased gastric acid reflux into the esophagus
- Center for Abdominal and Pelvic Organs providing counseling for patients with chronic diseases of the pelvic floor and abdomen
- Center for the treatment of patients with high risk endoscopic lesions (Z-PEER), in close cooperation with private practitioners
- Nutritional problems, including interventional diet therapy
- High competence in the field of capsule endoscopy (Training Center)
Academic Hospital Cologne-Holweide
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology
- Cologne, Germany