Academic Hospital Harlaching Munich
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery (113829)
Specialized in: general and abdominal surgery
About the department
The Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the Academic Hospital Harlaching treats patients with inflammatory diseases, benign or malignant tumors of abdominal cavity and abdominal wall. Usually, hernia and gallbladder surgeries are performed with the use of minimally invasive techniques. The German Hernia Society awarded the department with the seal "Quality Assured Hernia Surgery". The department performs more than 2,000 surgical procedures every year. The chief physician of the department is Dr. med. Ralf Schmid.
The department performs all kinds of cancer surgeries of the entire gastrointestinal tract, including liver and pancreas. Surgeries, especially for bowel cancer, can be performed minimally invasively. The department is part of the Munich Süd Cancer Center of the Hospital Harlaching. The chief physician of the department, Dr. Ralph Schmid, is a certified senior surgeon of the German Society of Surgery. There are regularly held interdisciplinary tumor boards, within the framework of which the most effective treatment strategies are approved.
The doctors of the department have special competence in the field of diagnosis and treatment of bowel cancer. The chief physician of the department, Dr. Schmid, and the leading senior doctor, Dr. Philip Steiner, alone have performed more than several hundred surgeries for bowel and rectum cancer.
Most often, the department performs the following surgeries and treatments:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Hernia surgery (inguinal, ventral hernia, etc.)
- Gallbladder and biliary tract surgery
- Surgery for inflammatory bowel diseases
- Surgery for oncological diseases of the digestive tract
- Surgery for oncological diseases of the liver or pancreas
- Installation of shunts for dialysis
- Installation of port-systems (also on an outpatient basis)
- Since 10/2014 Chief Physician of the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the Hospital Harlaching.
- 4/2006 - 9/2014 Head of the Department of General, Abdominal, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery at the Bogenhausen Hospital.
- 1/2012 Additional specialization in Abdominal Surgery.
- 7/2006 Focus on Abdominal Surgery.
- 7/2000 - 4/2006 Senior Physician at the Department of Surgery at the München-Bogenhausen Hospital.
- 10/1998 - 6/2000 Senior operating surgeon at the Department of Surgery at the Municipal Hospital München-Bogenhausen.
- 12/1998 Specialization in Vascular Surgery.
- 10/1996 - 9/1998 Resident of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Municipal Hospital Munich-Neuperlach.
- 10/1996 Specialisation in surgery.
- 8/1992 - 9/1996 Resident of the Department of Surgery at the Municipal Hospital Munich Bogenhausen.
- 3/1987 - 7/1992 Resident of the Department of Surgery at the District Hospital Bad Aibling.
- 4/1986 PhD (Pathological Institute of LMU).
- 2/1986 - 2/1987 Medical worker and troop doctor at the Schochkaserne Landshut.
- 11/1985 Licensed as a doctor.
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery.
Academic Hospital Harlaching Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home