Hospital Harlaching Munich
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (113833)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at Hospital Harlaching Munich
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Hospital Harlaching Munich offers the full range of modern conservative and surgical treatments for patients with diseases of the kidneys, ureters, bladder and reproductive male organs. Of particular interest is the treatment of kidney, bladder and prostate cancers. The priority areas of the department’s clinical practice also include the treatment of kidney stone disease, urinary tract obstruction, urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction. The department’s medical team deals with the treatment of young patients with congenital and acquired urologic pathologies. To provide optimal medical care for the patients with kidney diseases, urologists cooperate closely with the Department of Nephrology. The department offers such advanced therapeutic methods as HIFU therapy for prostate cancer and Greenlight laser therapy for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. These methods are among the very latest developments in the field of modern urology and allow the doctors to achieve outstanding treatment results. The department annually treats more than 2,500 patients with clinical cases of varying severity. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Reich.
The most important focus of the department's clinical practice is the treatment of kidney, bladder and prostate cancer. The medical team specializes in open surgery and sparing minimally invasive surgery. Whenever possible, urologists try to preserve organ function and not damage nerve endings. The main goal of the department's doctors is to completely cure the patient or achieve long-term remission and, accordingly, a high quality of life.
One of the most common types of oncology in men is prostate cancer. To treat this pathology, the department's specialists can offer several effective therapeutic methods, including the most progressive ones. High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) is one of the innovative treatment methods for prostate cancer. The department has the status of a leading medical facility in the field of HIFU technology not only in Germany, but also in Europe and the USA. The department's specialists have already completed more than 3,000 successful high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation procedures. The essence of the treatment procedure consists in the impact on the prostate tissue with high-intensity focused ultrasound, which causes heating of pathological tissues to 90-100°C for a short period of time (up to three seconds) that leads to the death of tumor cells. The main advantages of the HIFU procedure are its high efficiency and low risk of serious side effects. However, this type of treatment is only suitable for patients with partial prostate lesions. The patients with the advanced stages of cancer require more radical measures. The long-term clinical experience of the department's specialists in the field of HIFU therapy allows them to accurately determine in which clinical cases it would be reasonable to consider this type of treatment.
The patients with kidney cancer are treated by urologists, nephrologists and vascular surgeons. When appointing surgery to remove a kidney tumor, the specialists select the optimal surgical procedure, which will allow them to perform resection of the affected tissue without harming the healthy adjacent tissues. The patients with advanced bladder cancer in most cases require total removal of the organ. In such situations, the department's doctors perform additional surgical procedures to form a new bladder from intestinal tissues. Thus, after the removal of the bladder, the patient will not suffer from urinary disorders.
The priority area of work of the department's urologists also includes the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. To remove prostate adenoma, the department's specialists successfully use Greenlight laser technology. The Chief Physician of the department, Prof. Oliver Reich is the first urologist in Germany who treated benign prostatic hyperplasia using the Greenlight laser technology in 2003. During his entire clinical practice, the doctor performed more than 500 such procedures. The Greenlight technique has undeniable advantages over laser ablation. These are minor damage to prostate tissue, minimal intraoperative and postoperative bleeding, as well as rapid recovery after treatment. Depending on the size of the prostate, the duration of the Greenlight laser procedure is 25-75 minutes. When performing the therapeutic manipulation, the doctors can use either general or regional anesthesia. After the operation, the patient spends only 2-3 days in the hospital, which is much shorter than the period of hospitalization in case of other types of treatment.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following urologic diseases:
- Prostate, kidney and bladder malignancies
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Congenital genitourinary malformations
- Urinary incontinence
- Kidney stone disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- Urologic diseases in children
- Other pathologies
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic tests
- Ultrasound examinations
- Blood tests
- X-ray scanning
- Conservative treatment methods
- Drug therapy
- Physiotherapy for urinary incontinence
- Chemotherapy (in collaboration with oncologists)
- Surgical treatment methods
- HIFU therapy for prostate cancer
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for the treatment of kidney stone disease
- Greenlight laser therapy for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Laser therapy for the treatment of kidney stone disease, genital warts and urethral stenosis
- Bladder resection with the formation of a new bladder from intestinal tissues
- Organ-preserving surgery for kidney tumors
- Organ-preserving surgery for prostate tumors
- Correction of congenital malformations of the urinary tract and male reproductive organs
- Plastic reconstructive surgery on the kidneys, ureters, bladder and external reproductive organs
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Reich
- 10.2004 Habilitation. Subject: "Experimental and clinical research to reduce blood loss during transurethral treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia".
- 05.1989 - 11.1995 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Since 2010 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Hospital Harlaching Munich.
- 01.2007 - 2010 Deputy Head of Department and Managing Senior Physician, Department of Urology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 02.2003 - 12.2006 Senior Physician of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 12.2001 Board certification in Urology.
- 12.1994 - 12.1995 One-year practice in hospitals of St. Gallen, Zurich, San Francisco and Munich.
- 04.1996 - 07.1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology at the St. Gallen Cantonal Hospital, Switzerland.
- 08.1997 - 07.1998 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery at the St. Gallen Cantonal Hospital, Switzerland.
- 08.1998 - 08.1999 Research Fellow in the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Mainz.
- 08.1999 - 01.2003 Research Fellow in the Department of Urology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 08.1993 - 11.1993 Research Fellow in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- 10.1998 Research in the field of in vitro electrovaporization of the prostate.
- Since 06.2008 Board Member and Treasurer of the Bavarian Urologist Association.
- 01.2008 - 06.2010 Founder and Head of the interdisciplinary Prostate Centre at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.2009 Additional qualification in Tumor Drug Therapy.
- 12.2008 Additional qualification in Andrology, Bavarian Medical Association.
- Since 09.2005 Member and Secretary of the Working Group on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia of the German Society of Urology.
- Since 01.2003 Member of the "Expert Urology Committee" of the Bavarian Working Group on Quality Assurance in Inpatient Care.
- Minimally invasive surgical treatment of diseases of the prostate, bladder, kidneys and ureters.
- Treatment of prostate diseases – Prof. Oliver Reich is the first urologist in Germany who treated benign prostatic hyperplasia using the Greenlight laser technology in 2003; the specialist is a recognized expert in this procedure both in Germany and worldwide.
- Open surgical treatment of urologic cancers while preserving the functions of the urinary system.
- Bladder surgery, including the formation of a new bladder from colon segments.
- About 200 scientific reports and presentations both at national and international congresses.
Awards and Honors
- 2004 European Association of Urology (EAU) Award, Vienna. Subject: "Targeted therapy with liposome-encapsulated paclitaxel in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer".
- 2005 Wolfgang Mauermayer Prize of the German Society of Urology (DGU). Subject: "High-power (80 W) potassium titanyl phosphate (KTP) laser vaporization of the prostate in 66 high-risk patients".
- 2007 European Association of Urology –
- American Urological Association; two-year awarding of 3 European urologists under the age of 40.
- 2009 European Urology Challenge Award of the European Association of Urology.
- 2009 Wolfgang Hepp Prize of the German Society of Urology. Subject: "CEACAM1 – new tumor marker for detecting bladder cancer".
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Urological Association (AUA).
- European Association of Urology (EAU).
- German Society of Urology (DGU).
- Urological Research Society (URS).
- Working Group on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia of the German Society of Urology (DGU).
Photo of the doctor: (c) München Klinik Harlaching
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
Hospital Harlaching Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.