Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (113989)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the department
According to the reputable Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in prostate cancer treatment!
The department's medical team offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with urinary diseases and men with genital diseases. The department also deals with the treatment of young patients with urologic diseases. The primary focus of the department's clinical practice is the treatment of malignant tumors of the kidneys, bladder, prostate, testicles and penis. The department's doctors also have successful experience in the treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women. The department performs comprehensive diagnostics and microsurgical interventions to treat male infertility. In addition, the therapeutic options of the medical facility are complemented by the treatment of kidney stone disease, prostate adenoma and erectile dysfunction. The availability of high-tech operating rooms and modern medical equipment in the department allows providing effective treatment even in particularly complex clinical cases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Eduard Becht.
The department is one of the leading medical facilities in Germany specializing in prostate cancer treatment. With the vast clinical experience and state-of-the-art medical advances, the department's urologists successfully cope with prostate cancer therapy. To confirm the diagnosis, the specialists usually conduct such diagnostic procedures as a PSA test, digital rectal examination of the prostate, ultrasound scanning, including with contrast enhancement, biopsy and imaging studies (if clinically indicated). With the results of the diagnostic examination, the department's doctors have reliable data on the type of oncology, the stage of the tumor, its location, the presence or absence of metastases, etc. Taking into account all of the above mentioned clinical data, as well as the patient's general health condition and age, the specialists elaborate an optimal treatment regimen. The department's therapeutic options in this field include radical prostatectomy with potency preservation, extraperitoneal laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, cryoablation for localized prostate cancer, HIFU (high-intensity focused ultrasound) therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, hormone therapy, radiation therapy, etc.
Special attention should be given to the HIFU method, which is a minimally invasive procedure with the use of high-intensity focused ultrasound beams. In contrast to conventional imaging ultrasound, the HIFU method involves a targeted thermal effect on the areas of the prostate affected by the oncological process. During the intervention, a particular area of the prostate is exposed to a temperature of 90-100°C for 3 seconds, which leads to the destruction of cancer cells. The HIFU procedure is one of the most modern urological techniques and allows the doctors to effectively treat prostate cancer without surgery. The main advantages of high-intensity focused ultrasound include high efficiency of the therapeutic procedure, minimal side effects, maximum preservation of potency and control of urination, as well as a short hospital stay and quick recovery after the completion of therapy. In addition, HIFU therapy can be successfully used in combination with other therapies. It should be noted that the HIFU technique is available only in the leading medical centers in developed countries, so the department's patients can count on the highest quality of treatment.
The treatment of kidney, bladder, testicular and penile cancers is also within the competence of the department's doctors. As a rule, the treatment of these types of oncology is based on surgical resection of the tumor. The team of the department's urologists gives preference to organ-preserving surgery and is proud of its outstanding success in this field. The surgical treatment is complemented by chemotherapy, radiation therapy and other conservative methods. Oncologists and radiologists are often involved in the therapeutic process.
The department admits many patients with benign prostate diseases as well. One of the common urological pathologies among men is benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate adenoma). The range of the department's therapeutic services in this area includes transurethral resection of the prostate, laser ablation (innovative Greenlight Laser) and transrectal intraprostatic injections. The optimal type of therapy is determined depending on the stage of the pathological process, the size of the prostate adenoma and other important factors. All of the above mentioned treatments are modern and they are successfully used in the best Urology Clinics in the world.
In the field of pediatric urology, a special focus is on the treatment of phimosis, undescended testicle, urinary incontinence, vesicoureteral reflux and hypospadias. Whenever possible, conservative treatment methods are preferred. If it is impossible to avoid surgery, pediatric urologists use sparing minimally invasive techniques in order to perform the necessary surgical procedures through small skin incisions. When using these surgical techniques, the child does not experience severe pain and recovers as quickly as possible after the operation.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- Perineal and retropubic radical prostatectomy with potency preservation
- Extraperitoneal laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- Cryoablation for localized prostate cancer
- HIFU therapy (high-intensity focused ultrasound)
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer, including renal cell carcinoma
- Organ-preserving surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder cancer
- Surgical resection of tumors (if possible, organ-preserving surgery), including reconstructive surgery to form a new bladder
- Radiofrequency-induced intravesical chemotherapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
- Local therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of penile cancer
- Laser therapy
- Glans reconstruction
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Transurethral resection of the prostate
- Laser ablation (innovative Greenlight Laser)
- Transrectal intraprostatic injections
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Laser therapy (holmium laser)
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence
- "Neocontrol" conservative therapy
- Minimally invasive treatment methods (for example, collagen injections for women, TVT, TVT-O sling surgery for men)
- Classic surgical procedures
- Colposuspension and sacrocolpopexy in women
- ATOM and AMS 800 artificial sphincter placement for men
- Diagnostics and treatment of urethral disorders
- Minimally invasive interventions for urethral stenosis
- Open reconstructive urethral surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of male infertility
- Microsurgical techniques
- Diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Diagnostics and treatment of urologic diseases in children (focus on the treatment of phimosis, undescended testicle, urinary incontinence, hypospadias and vesicoureteral reflux)
- Conservative treatment methods
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Higher Education and Professional Career
- June 2011 Chairman of the Association "Interdisciplinary Urologic Oncology Frankfurt am Main".
- April 2005 Honorary Doctoral Degree, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- October 1994 Extraordinary Professorship at the Faculty of Medicine of the Saarland University, Homburg.
- July 1994 Appointed as Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
- March 1989 Senior Physician of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Saarland, Homburg.
- February 1986 Board certification in Urology.
- May 1980 Doctoral thesis defence in Medicine, Department of Nephrology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.
- May 1979 Admission to medical practice.
- 1972 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.
- Since 1994 Lecturer at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Treatment of urologic cancers.
- Minimally invasive surgery for prostate cancer.
- Organ-preserving surgery for kidney tumors.
- Treatment of prostate adenoma.
- Reconstructive urology.
- Surgical treatment of urethral diseases.
- Treatment of urologic diseases in children.
- Treatment of kidney stone disease.
- Treatment of urinary incontinence.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Krankenhaus Nordwest
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.