Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
Department of Radiation Oncology (298852)
Michael van Kampen
Specialized in: radiation oncology
About the Department of Radiation Oncology at Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
The Department of Radiation Oncology at the Hospital Nordwest in Frankfurt am Main provides diagnosis, counseling and treatment for adults with cancer of all organs on an outpatient and/or inpatient basis. The Department annually treats about 1,400 new cancer patients. The head of the Department is Priv.-Doc. Dr. med. Michael van Kampen.
The cancer treatment by radiotherapy is especially successful. Some benign diseases can also be treated by radiation therapy. The drugs, which can decrease or increase exposure depending on the progressing of the disease, are used as auxiliary aids. Therefore, the Hospital Nordwest develops an individual treatment strategy that corresponds to the clinical situation of each patient. The medical team of the Department of Radiation Oncology under the direction of Priv.-Doc. Dr. med. Michael van Kampen provides its services on an outpatient and inpatient basis. There are treated all malignant oncological diseases in adults. The most common include cancer of the breast, lungs, rectum, prostate, metastases and rare tumors of soft tissues. Moreover, the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Hospital Nordwest specializes in radiotherapy for benign diseases. The most common indications in this field include radiation therapy for a heel spur and the treatment of degenerative joint diseases.
The Department of Radiation Oncology under the direction of Priv.-Doc. Dr. med. Michael van Kampen is the recognized Bowel and Prostate Cancer Center, certified by the German Cancer Society (Onkozert).
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Hospital Nordwest under the direction of Priv.-Doc. Dr. med. Michael van Kampen are:
- Irradiation of benign arthritis, such as arthrosis of large and small joints, heel spurs and achillodynia
- Irritative X-ray radiation (orthovoltage radiotherapy)
In addition to the overall range of radiotherapy, there are used the following special techniques:
- IORT (intraoperative radiation therapy)
- Afterloading in the treatment of gynecological tumors, especially combined therapy for cervical cancer (intracavitary/ interstitial cancer) in combination with chemotherapy
- High-precision radiotherapy (stereotaxy/ radiosurgery) of benign and malignant tumors in the head
- IMLT (intensive modulated radiotherapy)
- Combined radio-chemotherapy
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Hospital Nordwest ranks among the top German departments specializing in radiation therapy!
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Michael van Kampen
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Since 2000 Chief Physician of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
- 2004 - 2006 Medical Director of the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
- 2005 Elected Chairman of the Specialized Committee of the TÜV Süd (Medical Position).
- 1995 - 2000 Habilitation in Radiology, Heidelberg University. Subject: "Is there a relation between the radiation dose and the effect of intraoperative radiation therapy?"
- 1994 - 1995 Assistant Physician at the German Cancer Research Center Heidelberg, FS05, Department of Radiation Oncology.
- 1993 - 1994 Assistant Physician, Department of Radiology (focus on radiation therapy), University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1989 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Radiation Therapy and Diagnostic Radiology, Hospital Nuremberg Nord.
- 1990 Doctoral thesis defense in Medicine, magna cum laude. Subject: "Determination of thymosin β4 in human blood cells and serum".
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Hamburg and Erlangen.
- High-precision radiation therapy.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy.
- Stereotactic surgery.
- Combined chemoradiation therapy.
- Intraoperative radiation therapy.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO).
- European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO).
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- German Professional Association of Radiation Therapists (BVDST).
- Professional Association of Radiation Therapists of the State of Hesse (Board Member).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Krankenhaus Nordwest
Department of Radiation Oncology.
Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.