Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
Department of General, Abdominal, Endocrine, Colorectal and Minimally Invasive Surgery (40)
Specialized in: general, abdominal, endocrine, colorectal and minimally invasive surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of General, Abdominal, Endocrine, Colorectal and Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main ranks among the best German medical facilities for colon cancer treatment!
The department provides the full range of surgical services in the areas of its specialization. A highly qualified team of the department's surgeons performs operations on the abdominal organs (stomach, esophagus, intestine, liver, gallbladder) and endocrine organs (pancreas, adrenal glands and thyroid gland), with the exception of organ transplantation. The doctors of the medical facility also have long successful experience in hernia repair surgery. The department is awarded the quality certificate of the German Hernia Society in this area. Particular attention is paid to the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers. The team of the department's surgeons annually performs more than 2,500 surgical interventions on an inpatient basis, as well as many endoscopic procedures and non-extensive outpatient operations. As of today, most of the operations in the department are minimally invasive, which is an undeniable advantage for the patient. The department's operating rooms strictly meet both hygiene and safety standards, which excludes infectious risks to the patients' health. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Kraus.
The department's surgeons are proud of their exceptional advances in the treatment of colon cancer, which is one of the most common types of oncology in the world. The first stage of the medical program is comprehensive diagnostics, which allows determining the exact location of the tumor, its stage, type and other important clinical characteristics. As a rule, the main diagnostic examinations are laboratory tests, including a tumor marker test, ultrasound examination, radiography, colonoscopy, computed tomography, etc. With the results of a preliminary examination, the department's surgeons jointly with gastroenterologists, oncologists, radiologists and other specialists develop an optimal treatment regimen. The treatment is based on three key methods – surgery, drug therapy and radiation therapy. The department's surgical options include minimally invasive surgery, metastasis removal surgery and plastic surgery to correct defects. The conservative treatment methods include chemotherapy, including hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), combined chemoradiation therapy, intraoperative radiation therapy, targeted therapy, therapeutic hyperthermia, symptomatic treatment and other methods. Upon the completion of the main course of treatment, the patient will regularly visit the doctor and undergo follow-up medical check-ups in order to prevent recurrence.
One of the important clinical focuses of the department's doctors is hernia repair surgery. Due to the high success rates of hernia repair surgery, the department was awarded with a certificate of excellence by the German Hernia Society. The service range in this area includes the treatment of diaphragmatic, inguinal, umbilical, incisional, parastomal and epigastric hernias. All operations are performed using sparing laparoscopic techniques, so the patient can leave the hospital in a few days. In addition, the pain syndrome after such operations is less severe in comparison with classical open surgery.
The department specializes in the surgical treatment of the following diseases:
- Pancreatic diseases
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pancreas anulare
- Pancreas divisum
- Stomach diseases
- Stomach tumors
- Acute and chronic gastritis
- Gastric ulcer
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Bowel diseases
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Bowel tumors
- Familial adenomatous polyposis
- Colorectal cancer
- Bowel polyps/adenomas
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Proctological diseases
- Perianal fistulas
- Anorectal abscess
- Anal fissures
- Liver diseases
- Benign liver diseases
- Liver cysts
- Focal nodular hyperplasia of the liver
- Cystic echinococcosis
- Malignant liver diseases
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Cholangiocellular carcinoma
- Liver metastases
- Benign liver diseases
- Gallbladder diseases
- Gallstone disease
- Biliary obstruction
- Thyroid diseases
- Nodular goiter
- Thyroid tumors
- Esophageal diseases
- Esophageal achalasia
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Esophageal tumors
- Traumatic esophageal injuries
- Diaphragmatic hernias
- Inguinal hernias
- Umbilical hernias
- Incisional hernias
- Parastomal hernias
- Epigastric hernias
- Other diseases
The department's therapeutic options include:
- Surgical treatment methods
- Classic open surgery
- Sparing minimally invasive surgery
- Palliative surgery
- Conservative treatment methods for cancers (in cooperation with highly specialized doctors)
- Chemotherapy, including hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Radiation therapy, including intraoperative radiation therapy
- Combined chemoradiotherapy
- Targeted therapy
- Supportive therapy
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 2008 - 2009 Medical Director at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
- 2009 Partner Physician in the Department of Abdominal Surgery, Emma Clinic for Operative Medicine in Seligenstadt.
- Since 2006 Chief Physician of the Department of General, Abdominal, Endocrine, Colorectal and Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
- 2004 Extraordinary Professorship at the Heidelberg University.
- 2003 Master of Business Administration, Krannert Business School, Purdue University (West Lafayette, USA), German International Graduate School of Management and Administration (Hannover, Germany).
- 2002 Senior Physician with management responsibilities, Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg, Head of the Section for Internal Organ Transplantation at the South German Transplant Center in Heidelberg.
- 2001 Deputy Head of the Department of Cancer Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2001 Head of the Section of Internal Organ Transplantation at the South German Transplant Center in Heidelberg.
- 2000 Specialization in Abdominal Surgery.
- 1998 Specialization in Vascular Surgery.
- 1997 Habilitation in Surgery, Heidelberg University.
- 1996 Senior Physician of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1995 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1993 Senior Medical Officer of the NATO Naval Forces Association Stanaforland/Adria – Ship's Physician, Yugoslavia, Bremen Class Frigate, Bundesmarine/Wilhelmshaven.
- 1990 Assistant Physician, Salem Hospital in Heidelberg.
- 1988 Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1987 Basic military service in the Bundeswehr, 1st Mountain Rifle Division, Mittenwald/Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- 1987 Doctoral thesis defense at the Heidelberg University.
- 1987 Admission to medical practice and Examination of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) – Visiting Medical Practice License.
- 1985 - 1987 Study of Medicine at the Westminster Hospital Medical School in London and at the Charing Cross Hospital Medical School in London.
- 1981 - 1984 Study of Medicine at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- Abdominal surgery.
- Vascular surgery.
- Surgical treatment of gastrointestinal cancers.
- Colorectal surgery.
- Surgical treatment of liver and biliary tract diseases.
- Surgical treatment of pancreatic diseases.
- Minimally invasive surgery.
- Hernia repair surgery.
- Extraordinary Professor at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- Practical training for students, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Giving lectures, practical training at the patient's bed and practical training in the laboratory, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- Member of the Examination Commissions of the Medical Association of Hesse.
- Member of the Medical Arbitration Commission of the Medical Association of Hesse.
- Board Member of the Initiative Program "Healthcare in the Rhine-Main Region".
Scholarships, Awards and Honors
- 1985 German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship.
- 1989 Mildred Scheel Scholarship in Intensive Care.
- 1989 Award of the International Society of Vascular Surgeons.
- 1994 Award of the Transplantation Society.
- 1994 Award of the European Society for Organ Transplantation.
- 1995 Overseas Travel Grant, Japan Surgical Society.
- 1998 Honorary Membership in the Romanian Society of Transplantation.
- 1999 Scholarship of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 2000 Research Grant, German Organ Transplantation Foundation.
- 2001 Scholarship of the Japan Surgical Society.
- 2002 Scholarship of the German International Graduate School for Management and Administration.
- 2004 European Leadership Programme, INSEAD Scholarship, Paris.
- 2004 Poster Award, Liver Transplantation and Hepatology Seminar.
- 2004 Poster Award of the Association of Surgeons of the Middle Rhine.
- 2005 Bavarian Health Care Forum Prize.
- 2011 Mentioned in the Top 100 German Surgeons according to Focus magazine.
- Since 2005 Regular Winner of the "Best Doctor" Certificate.
- 1989 Department of Surgery, University of Chicago.
- 1998 University Hospital Cluj, Romania.
- 1999 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.
- 2001 Duke Medical Center, Durham.
- 2001 Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
- 2001 Albert Einstein Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, New York.
- 2001 Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Centre, New York.
- 2002 Hopital Paul Brousse, Paris.
- 2002 Department of Surgery, Kyoto University.
- 2004 Vilnius University Hospital, Lithuania.
- 2007 Hospitale Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, San Giovanni Rotondo.
- 2015 Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter.
- 2016 Department of Surgery, Henares Hospital, Madrid.
- 2017 Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Singapore.
- 2017 Farrer Park Hospital, Singapur.
- 2017 Military Hospital and Community Hospital, Jakarta.
- 2017 Military Hospitals and Community Hospitals, Surabaya and Joghakarta.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
- German Society of Surgery (DGC).
- German Society for General and Abdominal Surgery (DGAV) and Member of various working groups of this society.
- Association of German Surgeons (BDC).
- German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- German Hernia Society (DHG).
- German Transplantation Society (DTG).
- Association of Middle Rhine Surgeons (VMC).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Working Group for Medical Oncology (AIO).
- American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG).
- Hesse Cancer Society (HKG).
- Rhein-Main Working Group for Gastroenterology.
- Since 2011 Board Member of the Rhine-Main Health Care Council.
- Frankfurt Society for Trade, Industry and Science.
- Society for Innovative Management and Business Administration (GIMBA).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Krankenhaus Nordwest
Department of General, Abdominal, Endocrine, Colorectal and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.