Academic Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology (42)
Jörg B. Engel
Specialized in: gynecology, obstetrics, mammology
About the department
The Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology at the Academic Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system. Of particular interest is the treatment of gynecological oncopathology and breast cancer. The surgical options include all classic and modern operations, including minimally invasive interventions, plastic and reconstructive breast surgery. The department is also staffed by highly qualified obstetricians, who provide first-class care for expectant mothers before, during and after childbirth. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Jörg B. Engel.
The oncological diseases of the female genital area are treated in close cooperation with the specialists from the related fields. Each clinical case is considered individually, which is followed by the development of an optimal treatment plan. Naturally, the therapeutic process is preceded by a comprehensive diagnostics with the use of modern examinations, for example, high-resolution sonography, CT, MRI, scintigraphy, biopsy, etc. The department has at its command a number of effective treatment methods, such as surgical treatment, radiation therapy, radiofrequency therapy and microwave ablation, chemotherapy, antibody therapy, laser surgery and many others. Depending on the stage of the disease and clinical indications, an optimal type of treatment or a combination of several therapeutic methods will be prescribed. Also, key attention is paid to the follow-up of patients in order to avoid oncopathology recurrence.
In addition, the department specializes in breast cancer treatment (certification of the German Cancer Society). The therapeutic capabilities in this field include breast-conserving operations at the initial stages of the ailment, drug therapy for advanced cancer, as well as advanced reconstructive and cosmetic interventions after extensive resections. The treatment of oncological diseases involves competent psychologists, who work with the patients to help them cope with emotional distress and maintain a positive attitude towards treatment.
The department also ranks among the largest and leading Prenatal Medicine Centers. It provides various ultrasound examinations to monitor the course of pregnancy at all its stages, timely detect the smallest abnormalities in the development of the fetus and find the best options for their elimination. The department has a team of obstetricians, doctors and nursing staff, which is available around the clock to deliver babies and assist in emergency clinical situations. For a natural childbirth the patients may have pain relief, namely epidural anesthesia, and if desired, a cesarean section may be performed as well. The delivery rooms have a modern design and all the advanced technologies to ensure safe delivery. The department delivers more than 800 babies every year, which is an indisputable proof of exceptional service in this field.
The service range of the department includes:
- General gynecology
- Uterine fibroids (benign muscle tissue neoplasms)
- Ovarian cysts (for example, endometriomas, dermoids or cystomas)
- All types of endometriosis (peritoneal endometriosis, ovarian endometriosis, adenomyosis and deep infiltrating endometriosis)
- Urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse (urogynecology)
- Conservative treatments
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Gynecologic oncology
- Cervical cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Vulvar cancer ((tumor of the external genital organs)
- Surgical treatment, including minimally invasive interventions
- Outpatient drug therapy (chemotherapy, antibody therapy, hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in peritoneal metastases)
- Radiation therapy
- Radiofrequency therapy and microwave Ablation
- Laser surgery for metastases
- Imaging-guided (CT) pain therapy
- Mammology (diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer)
- Breast-conserving operations and intraoperative radiation therapy (in the early stages of the pathology)
- Drug therapy (in the progressive stages of the pathology), namely chemotherapy, hormone therapy, antibody therapy
- Reconstructive and cosmetic procedures after radical surgical treatment
- Prenatal diagnostics
- Advanced first trimester screening (IGeL)
- Non-invasive prenatal test (NIPT)
- Ultrasound screening (in accordance with the recommendations for the management of pregnancy and childbirth)
- Pregnancy risk monitoring
- 3D and 4D ultrasound examinations (optional)
- 3D vaginal sonography for the diagnostics of gynecological diseases
- Obstetric services
- Comprehensive management of pregnancy, including high-risk pregnancy
- Childbirth (also cesarean section)
- Pain relief (epidural anesthesia)
- Postpartum care for both mother and baby
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 1994 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine at the Georg-August University Göttingen.
- 2001 - 2002 Intern, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Lübeck (Prof. Dr. med. K. Diedrich).
- 2002 Research Internship, Endocrine, Polypeptide and Cancer Institute at the Tulane University (Prof. Dr. A.V. Schally, Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine 1977), New Orleans.
- 2002 - 2003 Visiting Doctor, Antoine Beclere Hospital, Paris-Sud University (Prof. Dr. med. R. Frydman).
- 2003 - 2005 Postdoctoral/Research Fellow at the Endocrine, Polypeptide and Cancer Institute at the Tulane University (Prof. Dr. A.V. Schally, Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine 1977), New Orleans.
- 2005 - 2008 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2008 Medical Specialist in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2008- 2011 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2009 Venia Legendi, Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Würzburg.
- 2011 - 2014 Senior Physician in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Regensburg, Caritas Hospital St. Joseph, Regensburg.
- 2012 Habilitation in Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Regensburg.
- 2014 - 2015 Head of the Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Giessen-Marburg, Giessen.
- 2015 Extraordinary Professor, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 2015 - 2016 Head of the Department of Gynecology and Deputy Director of the Aschaffenburg-Alzenau Hospital.
- Since 2016, Chief Physician of the Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology at the Academic Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main.
Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology.
Academic Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home