Academic Hospital Nordwest Frankfurt am Main
Department of Oncology and Hematology (44)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology
The Department of Oncology and Hematology at the Hospital Nordwest under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Elke Jäger is a medical institution, which deals with the diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care of patients with benign and malignant tumors of the hematopoietic system, as well as all kinds of cancer. The Department includes 74 beds in its 3 sections, the Palliative Care Center with 10 beds and a day hospital with 6 beds.
The Department of Oncology and Hematology at the Hospital Nordwest focuses on oncology (treatment of tumors), hematology (treatment of blood diseases) and oncological immunotherapy. The treatment of all kinds of cancer of different organ systems, as well as benign and malignant blood diseases, blood clotting system and lymphatic organs is carried out by means of conventional, experimental and alternative methods. The treatment program is developed during the cancer consultations. The interdisciplinary discussion involves the participation of specialists from different fields: oncology, surgery, gastroenterology, pathology, radiology and radiation therapy. Once there has been conducted a comprehensive examination, the specialists make up the best individual treatment recommendations. The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Elke Jäger is the Cancer Center, certified by the German Society for Hematology and Oncology.
The field of hematology at the Hospital Nordwest is focused on the diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the blood and bone marrow hematopoietic cells. The range of the services is very wide. These include leukemias and lymphomas, impaired hemopoiesis and blood clotting. Impaired hemopoiesis involves numerous forms of anemia (e.g. iron deficiency anemia), lack of platelets, white blood cells and a combination of these changes. To diagnose and treat hematological diseases, the Hospital Nordwest has an outpatient clinic for hematological patients and a specialized Section of Hematology.
In addition, the Department of Oncology and Hematology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Elke Jäger also provides patients with medical care and services in the field of diet therapy, psycho-oncology and remedial gymnastics.
The range of medical services of the Department of Oncology and Hematology at the Hospital Nordwest includes:
- Individual diagnosis and treatment of tumors
- Conservative treatment of tumors
- High-dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplantation
- Combined radio-chemotherapy
- Antitumor vaccination
- Whole body hyperthermia
- Interdisciplinary treatment of tumors
- Pain therapy
- Palliative medicine
The main focuses of the Department of Oncology and Hematology:
- Diagnosis and treatment of gynecological tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant brain tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired immunodeficiency diseases (including HIV and AIDS)
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant breast tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of hematological tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of oncologic diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Interdisciplinary postoperative monitoring
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany