Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich
Department of Pediatric Rheumatology (457565)
Specialized in: pediatric rheumatology
About the Department of Pediatric Rheumatology at Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich
The Department of Pediatric Rheumatology at the Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic pathology in children and adolescents. Particular attention is paid to the therapy of inflammatory rheumatic diseases, for example, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, which is one of the most common ailments in this field of medicine. In addition, since 2004 the department has been conducting a special program of multimodal pain therapy aimed at treating chronic pain caused by diseases of the musculoskeletal system in children. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med.
A great advantage of the department is a special school for children and teenagers. Since rheumatic diseases and chronic pains represent a serious problem, which requires a long-term treatment, a full-fledged school was established on the basis of the department. It helps children to keep up with their peers at school. The school works all year round and offers the services of competent teachers. Classes are held in small groups for students of all age groups (from the 1st to the 13th grade). Major subjects include German, English and French, mathematics, physics and Latin. All educational programs correspond to the classical school curriculum.
Most often, specialists have to deal with the treatment of the following pediatric rheumatic diseases:
- Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis (seronegative and seropositive)
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Arthritis associated with enthesitis
- Iridocyclitis (anterior uveitis)
- Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (immobility syndrome)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis (CRMD)
- Chronic pain (for example, in muscles, joints)
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Drug therapy
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that have analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties. These include ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, indomethacin, etc.
- Basic medicines for long-term use (for example, resochin, hydroxychloroquine, sulfasalazine, cyclosporine, etc.)
- Biopreparations (innovative f treatment method), for example, Enbrel, Humira, Remicade®, etc.
- Corticosteroids (can be used only if there is severe pain in the joints, severe inflammation of the eyes or significant damage to the heart)
- Local cortisone injections (mainly used to treat joint pain)
- Iridocyclitis drug therapy (provided with the help of eye drops or ointments containing cortisone)
- Other methods of drug treatment
- Treatment of chronic pain of the musculoskeletal system in children and adolescents
- Multimodal pain therapy (individually, in usual and temporary groups)
- Psychological support
- Sport activities
- Sport games
- Dance therapy
- Martial arts (without physical contact)
- Other techniques
- Special care for young patients with rheumatic diseases
- Physiotherapy (classes in the healing pool, massage, electrotherapy, targeted ergotherapy, daily exercise, etc.)
- Social and psychological support for young patients, their parents, relatives
- School for children (to ensure proper educational process during treatment)
- Other services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Johannes-Peter Haas
- 1982 - 1984 Civil service: Children's Polyclinic, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1984 - 1992 Fellow of the Laboratory for Immunogenetics, Children's Polyclinic, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1985 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1992 - 1993 Intern, Children's Polyclinic, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Immunogenetics, General Pediatrics, Rheumatology).
- 1993 - 2001 Fellow, Interim Public Service (C1), Department and Polyclinic of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 2001 - 2008 Senior Fellow, Interim Public Service (C2), University of Greifswald, Leading Senior Physician, Department of General Pediatrics, Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care.
- 2008 Head of the Department of General Pediatrics; Deputy Head of the Department of Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care; Deputy Head of the University Hospital.
- 2008 W2 Professor (for life), General Pediatrics, University of Greifswald in the land of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
- Since 01.04.2009, Medical Director of the Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich and Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Rheumatology.
- 21.01.2010 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, appointed as a Visiting Professor.
- 01.09.2010 Co-owner and managing director of the Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich.
- 13.05.1993 Doctoral dissertation defense, Doctor of Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.08.1993 Admission to medical practice.
- 07.2000 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics.
- 11.2000 Additional qualification in Pediatric Intensive Care.
- 06.2001 Habilitation, Pediatrics, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 02.2003 Focus on Pediatric Rheumatology.
- 06.2003 Optional advanced training in the field of Pediatric Sonography.
- 08.2004 Additional qualification in Neonatology.
- 02.2005 Certified Pediatric Rheumatologist (GKJR).
- 06.2007 Expert in assessing the quality of medical care of the European Foundation of Quality Management (EFQM).
- 01.09.2008 W2 Professor, General Pediatrics, University of Greifswald.
- Since 01.04.2009, Chief Physician of the Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich.
- 06.09. Permission for advanced training in Pediatrics, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 09.09. Permission for advanced training in Pediatric Rheumatology, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 01.10. PD, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.11. Visiting Professor, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 09.12. Certification in the field of Pediatric Sonography, DEGUM (level I).
Membership in Societies and Organizations
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ).
- Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology (GKJR).
- Board Member of the Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology.
- Representative of the Commission on Pharmacotherapy and Vaccination (GKJR).
- Working Group on Pediatric Immunology (API).
- German Society of Rheumatology (DGRh).
- European Society of Pediatric Rheumatology (PRES).
- International Organization for Research in Pediatric Rheumatology (PRINTO).
- Society of Pediatric Nephrology (GPN).
- German Society of Pain Therapy.
- Association of Leading Physicians of German Clinics (VLK).
- Association of Leading Pediatricians and Pediatric Surgeons of Germany (National Association of Bavaria).
- Rheumatology Center Munich (RhZM).
- Board Member of the Initiative Program (treatment of children with rheumatic diseases).
- German Society of Pain Therapy.
- Professional Association of Pediatricians (BVKJ).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Kinderklinik Garmisch-Partenkirchen gGmbH
Department of Pediatric Rheumatology.
Academic Hospital for Pediatric Rheumatology of the University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.