Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (591250)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe offers the full range of modern diagnostics and treatment for patients with maxillofacial diseases and defects, including implantology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. med. Anton Dunsche.
The department has state-of-the-art systems for X-ray and ultrasound diagnostics, which make it possible to accurately detect the pathology and plan the optimal treatment regimen. The department provides its medical services to about 1,500-1,700 inpatients and over 32,000 outpatients annually. Such high rates testify to the outstanding quality of medical services and the high credit of patient confidence.
The primary competency of the department is the treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the oral cavity and facial skin. The spectrum in this field is complemented by plastic and reconstructive interventions with the aim to restore the shape and functions of the face, as well as the appearance after treatment of tumors and traumatic injuries, as well as malformations. Many reconstructive interventions after treatment of oral tumors require microsurgical tissue transplantation. Microsurgical techniques are also used in the surgical treatment of facial injuries or iatrogenic injury of other cranial nerves.
In addition, the key tasks of the department include correction of facial deformities, improper position of the jaws, malocclusion. The department's doctors are proud of their successful experience in the field of correction of complete cleft lip, jaw and palate in children.
The department specializes in jawbone augmentation and installation of implants. The implantation of dental prostheses is carried out within the specialized center (Implantologicum Karlsruhe). The department has over 35 years of successful experience in implantology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Anton Dunsche. He has repeatedly ranked among the top specialists in implantology (according to the prestigious Focus magazine)!
The service range of the department includes:
- Surgical treatment of facial skin tumors
- Basal-cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Jawbone augmentation and installation of dental implants
- Surgical treatment of temporomandibular diseases
- Surgical treatment of inflammatory processes in the maxillofacial region
- Surgical treatment of jaw necrosis
- Malocclusion correction
- Surgical correction of complete cleft lip, jaw and palate in children
- Surgical correction of craniofacial malformations in children
- Surgical resection of head and neck tumors
- Treatment of maxillofacial injuries
- Surgical dentistry
- Tooth extraction in case of inefficient treatment
- Wisdom tooth extraction
- Treatment of periodontal diseases
- Extraction of migrated teeth
- Treatment of abscesses
- Soft tissue surgery
- Surgery for the preservation of prostheses
- Treatment of dental injuries (reimplantation)
- Aesthetic facial surgery
- Facelift and plastic correction of the face profile
- Upper and lower eyelid lifting (blepharoplasty)
- Neck skin lifting
- Treatment of facial wrinkles using botulinum toxin
- Treatment of wrinkles (for example, with fillers, hyaluronic acid, laser resurfacing)
- Other medical services
- 1982 - 1983 Study of Economics at the University of Paderborn.
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Medicine at the University of Essen and at the Semmelweis University of Medical Sciences in Budapest.
- 1987- 1990 Study of Dentistry at the Semmelweis University of Medical Sciences in Budapest.
- 1987 - 1989 Scholar of the Albertus-Magnus-Verein Foundation.
- 1989 Admission to medical practice and doctoral thesis defense on the subject: "Extra- and intra-arterial anastomoses at the Hungarian National Institute of Neurosurgery in 1976-1986".
- 1990 Admission to medical practice in Dentistry and doctoral thesis defense on the subject: "The role of angiography in the control of intra-arterial chemotherapy of head and neck tumors".
- 2001 - 2003 Training in Management of Medical and Social Facilities, distance education at the University of Kaiserslautern.
- 2003 Training course "Total Quality Management", distance education at the University of Kaiserslautern.
Professional and Scientific Career
- 1990 - 2002 Research Fellow, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Kiel.
- 1994 Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 1995 Senior Physician, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Kiel.
- 1996 - 2002 Member of the Faculty of Convention at the University of Kiel.
- 1998 - 2000 Consistory Member of the University of Kiel.
- 2000 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Kiel.
- 2001 Habilitation in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Subject: "Lichenoid reaction of the oral mucosa to the amalgam – clinical, histological and experimental examinations on animals; study of etiology and differential diagnostics".
- Since 05.2002 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe.
- Since 05.2002 Full admission to conduct advanced training courses in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg, as well as additional specialization in Plastic Surgery.
- Since 05.2002 Full admission to conduct advanced training courses in Dentistry, Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg.
- 2002 Martin Wassmund Prize (2001) of the German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for Habilitation.
- Since 10.2002 Reviewer in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg.
- 2002 Specialization in Implantology (certification of the Consensus Conference Implantology).
- Since 11.2002 Permission for holding DGI/APW internships as part of training program in implantology.
- Since 01.2002 Specialization in Implantology, Periodontology and Pediatric Dentistry (in accordance with §14 of the professional code of the Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg).
- Since 2003 Member of the Expert Group on Dental Radiology of the Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg.
- Since 2005 Member of the Quality Committee and Expert Committee on Quality Management of the Medical Association of Baden-Württemberg.
- Since June 2009 Extraordinary Professorship.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Städtisches Klinikum Karlsruhe
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.