Treatment of colon (bowel) cancer in Germany
Bowel cancer (colon cancer) is a malignant malformation that is most common in the Western countries. Incidence of this disease is 15-20 cases per 100 thousands of population per year. Thanks to the development of the new methods of treatment it became possible to achieve a significant reduction in the mortality of patients from this pathology in recent years.
The Booking Health portal presents 74 German clinics specializing in colon (bowel) cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Colon (bowel) cancer – Diagnostics
Symptoms of the cancer are the same as in other intestinal diseases of the non-tumor origin. Therefore, it is only possible to establish a diagnosis after the instrumental examinations.
Barium enema or irrigography are X-ray methods of investigation with contrast. During the barium enema procedure a doctor assesses the state of the intestine in real time, and during the irrigography a picture is taken. Before this, the patient undergoes an enema with contrast medium (barium sulphate). Using these methods the doctor can estimate the shape and size of the tumor, its location and possible complications (germination in the bladder, small intestine, and vagina).
Colonoscopy is held after the barium enema. This endoscopic diagnostic method involves insertion of an instrument into the colon. In addition to the visual evaluation of the malformation, a doctor is able to take a biopsy for further cytological and histological examination.
Ultrasound examination, CT, MRI are non-invasive diagnostic methods that help to detect metastases of the tumor in the lungs, liver and other organs.
Laparoscopy is an invasive technique with the penetration into the abdominal cavity. The procedure is carried out to assess the spreading of tumor and metastases detection.
Best clinics for the colon (bowel) cancer diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Duesseldorf
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
Colon (bowel) cancer – Treatment
The main treatment method is surgery. It is a chance to prolong the patient’s life considerably .
Bowel resection implies removing the tumor with the part of the intestine. It has to be added that distal and proximal edges of the cut-off should be far enough from the neoplasm and not contain atypical cells after the histological study. In this case, the risk of local recurrence is significantly reduced. Together with the large intestine fragment all regional lymph nodes are also removed.
Extended bowel resection. It is used in the case of germination of the tumor into other organs and tissues. In course of the operation intestinal, stomach, liver, and bladder parts can be removed, depending on the location and extent of cancer process.
HIPEC-hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy is performed intraoperatively. The indication is peritoneal carcinomatosis. The procedure involves rinsing the abdomen with heated chemotherapy drugs solution. HIPEC destroys microscopic metastases and remnants of the tumor, thus reducing the risk of relapse.
Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are both used before and after surgery as an adjuvant treatment.
Colon (bowel) cancer – Innovative treatment
In addition to the used in the past decades techniques, new technologies and products are actively implemented into the clinical practice. They help to treat bowel cancer more effectively.
Laparoscopic bowel resection. Earlier operations on malignant tumors of the colon were performed only with the use of laparotomy, but now many types of tumors can be removed with laparoscopic techniques. The intervention is carried out through several incisions of the minimum size. This greatly facilitates the postoperative period with the same operation effectiveness.
Robot-associated operations are carried out with the help of robotic technology. Such laparoscopic bowel resection is performed more accurately, with less traumatization, lower lethality, easier and more rapid postoperative recovery of the patient.
Immune checkpoint inhibitors are a new group of drugs for immunotherapy of colon cancer. Checkpoints are the molecules on the surface of cells, including cancer cells. They make it clear to the immune system that these cells must not be subjected to its influence. Checkpoint inhibitors “hide” the signalling molecules and the immune system begins to fight the tumor.
A vaccine against cancer is another method of immunotherapy, which lowers the risk of colon cancer recurrence after the surgery. The vaccine enhances human immune system activity against tumor cells.
Best clinics for the colon (bowel) cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Colon (bowel) cancer – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
1398.14Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc