Comprehensive treatment of colon cancer in Germany
Colon cancer is a pathological process that is characterized by the malformation growth from the mucous membrane of the large intestine.
The Booking Health portal presents 76 German clinics specializing in colon cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Possible locations of the tumor are:
- The sigmoid colon – 50%
- Cecum – 15%
- Ascending colon – 12%
- Transverse colon – 5%
- Descending colon – 5%
- Right colic flexure – 8%
- Left colic flexure – 5%
This disease is one of the most common types of the malignant formations. The incidence of colon cancer is 15-20 cases per 100 thousands of population a year. The highest incidence is observed in the USA and Western European countries.
Colon cancer – Diagnostics
If colon cancer is suspected, the following methods can help to confirm the diagnosis:
X-ray examination. The contrasting medium is injected into the intestine. Then an X-ray image (irrigography) can be taken or the doctor examines the intestine in real time (irrigoscopy). The most informative is an examination with double contrast, when, after a bowel movement from the barium mixture, the air is introduced there.
With the help of the irrigography the following things can be determined:
- Size and location of the tumor
- The degree of narrowing of the intestine
- Presence of ulcerations in the tumor
Colonoscopy is an endoscopic method of the diagnostics connected with an instrument insertion into the colon through the rectum. It allows to take the biopsy for histological examination.
The following methods are used to determine extent of the pathological process and detect metastases:
- Ultrasound examination
- Computed tomography
- Aspirational fine-needle biopsy of the liver (the most common spot of detecting the metastases of colon cancer)
Best clinics for the colon cancer diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Duesseldorf
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
Colon cancer – Treatment
Surgery is the main treatment method in the case of bowel cancer. Operations are performed, during which affected by the tumor organ, the mesentery and lymph nodes are removed.
During germination of the tumor into nearby tissue an extended resection of the bowel is performed. It presupposes the removal of the small intestine areas, bladder, liver or other organs, depending on the clinical situation.
Auxiliary treatment methods are:
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Drugs and distant irradiation are indicated as an addition to radical surgery.
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. During surgery, the abdomen is rinsed with a chemotherapy solution that is heated up to 42 degrees. This procedure reduces the risk of relapse by eliminating micrometastases and tumor remnants.
- Embolization of hepatic arterial branches is used in the case of liver metastases and helps to reduce the blood access to the malformation, slowing its growth.
Colon cancer – Innovative treatment
Medical science does not stand still. New methods of cancer treatment are constantly being developed, the surgical and conservative ones. In recent years the following technologies and medications have appeared, such as:
- Laparoscopic bowel resection has the same efficiency as a conventional operation, but it is characterized by a much less traumatization of the patient's tissue. The intervention is performed through several small incisions, which significantly reduces and simplifies the postoperative period.
- Robot-associated operations. The usage of robotics allows to perform the surgical interventions much more accurately. As a result, the mortality of patients during surgery and the risk of postoperative complications are reduced.
- New methods of the immunotherapy. The vaccine against colon cancer is being researched and will be soon available for the practical application. It will be injected after surgical treatment in order to prolong remission and reduce the risk of relapse. Also, new drugs, inhibitors of control points, have appeared. They inhibit the signalling molecules that protect cancer cells from destruction by the human immune system.
Best clinics for the colon cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek Hamburg
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Colon cancer – Rehabilitation
Most patients require rehabilitation after the treatment of complex oncological diseases. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
1398.14Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc