University Hospital Essen
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology (289975)
Specialized in: obstetrics, gynecology, mammology
About the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology at University Hospital Essen
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Essen ranks among the top German departments specializing in breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of services in the areas of its specialization. With appropriate clinical indications, the surgical treatment is carried out using modern minimally invasive techniques, which provide sparing and safe treatment. The department is Level I Perinatal Center, where more than 1,000 babies are born annually. Also, the department's specialists have vast experience in the management of multiple pregnancies.
The department is headed by a distinguished professional with a worldwide reputation Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Kimmig. He has more than 20 years of successful experience in the field of surgical gynecology and gynecologic oncology. He personally performed over 10,000 gynecologic surgical procedures using the very latest surgical techniques, and also contributed to the development of modern gynecologic surgery.
In the field of gynecology, the focus is on the treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the female reproductive system (ovaries, uterus, cervix, endometrium, etc.), therapy of urinary incontinence (urogynecology), fertility problems and hormonal disorders due to the gynecologic pathologies. The department has long experience in the use of robotic surgery, which today is considered the gold standard of surgical treatment. Thus, even radical resections can be performed using the modern da Vinci Surgical System, which provides minimal incision, minimal pain, speedy recovery after surgery and minimal risk of any complications.
The special department’s activities include mammology. The priority focus in this field is the conservative and surgical treatment of breast cancer. The range is complemented by plastic reconstructive interventions aimed at restoring the aesthetic appearance of the mammary gland and ridding the woman of the complexes. The department performs breast reduction, augmentation, lift, reconstructive surgeries on the mammary gland.
In the field of obstetrics, the department specializes in the comprehensive management of pregnancy, including high-risk pregnancy, multiple pregnancies, and pregnancies with extragenital pathology, safe delivery, and postnatal care for the mother and child. Thanks to the excellent technical equipment, the department's doctors can identify pathologies in the child at the prenatal stage, as well as perform the invasive diagnostic procedures, for example, amniocentesis, chorionic biopsy.
The service range of the department includes:
- Gynecologic oncology
- Diagnostics and treatment of endometrial cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of cervical cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of vulvar cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of ovarian cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence, including stress urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse (urogynecology)
- Special complex of exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- Biofeedback technique
- Surgical measures
- Other treatment methods
- Surgical gynecology
- Minimally invasive uterine removal
- Minimally invasive ovarian surgery
- Minimally invasive fallopian tube surgery
- Removal of myomas
- Ultra-radical surgeries
- Robotic surgery (da Vinci)
- Plastic surgery
- Labia reduction (labiaplasty)
- Gynecologic oncology
- Mammology (focus on the diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer)
- Ultrasound examinations
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Skeletal scintigraphy
- Biopsy (imaging-guided tissue sampling)
- Surgical treatment
- Intraoperative irradiation
- Systemic therapy (neoadjuvant therapy, radiation and chemotherapy, antihormonal therapy, antibody therapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy)
- Breast plastic surgery (breast augmentation, reduction, lift, breast reshaping)
- Prenatal diagnostics
- Fetal echocardiography
- 3D ultrasound
- Management of multiple pregnancy
- Management of high risk pregnancy
- Preterm birth
- Invasive diagnostics and therapy (for example, chorionic villus sampling, amniocentesis, cordocentesis and blood transfusion)
- Delivery (natural childbirth, cesarean section)
- Pain relief during childbirth (relaxing baths, acupuncture, aromatherapy)
- Postnatal care for mother and baby
- Prenatal diagnostics
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Kimmig
Education and Professional Career
- 1978 - 1984 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1984 Admission to medical practice.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense (with honors).
- 1991 Professional certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 1991 - 1998 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 1994 - 2001 Member of the Cancer Center Munich.
- 1996 - 2001 Head of the Educational Center Working Group on Gynecological Endoscopy of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital, Section for Diagnostics and Operative Hysteroscopy.
- 1999 Theoretical foundations of the specialty (Afterloading method and the use of radium-226).
- 1999 Habilitation and Venia Legendi, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, as well as the appointment as PD at the same university.
- Since 1999 Member of the Ovar Research Group of the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology (AGO).
- 2000 Invitation to the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Ruhr University Bochum (Head of the Department of Gynecology at the Marien Hospital Herne; Successor to Prof. Dr. med. K. Quakernack, primo loco).
- Since 2001 C4 Professor in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Essen (Head of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Essen, Successor to Prof. Dr. A. E. Schindler).
- Since 2001 Head of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2002 Establishment and management of the Ovarian Cancer Center Essen of the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology (AGO) of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- 2003 Admission to the list for the position of C4 Professor in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Grosshadern Hospital, University of Munich, Successor to Prof. Dr. Hermann Hepp (primo loco).
- 2003 Medical Director of the Breast Center at the University Hospital Essen.
- 2006 President of the Congress of the German Continence Society.
- 2007 Founding Member and Faculty Member of the European Academy of Senology.
- 2008 Head of the Center for Gynecologic Oncology Essen, German Cancer Society (DKG).
- 2008 Head of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO).
- 2008 Head of the European Training Center for Obstetrics and Gynecology in Essen, European Board and College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (EBCOG).
- 2009 Head of the Department of Gynecologic Oncology of the Multidisciplinary Cancer Center Essen, funded by the German Cancer Foundation.
- 2009 Invitation to the Council of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO) as a Representative of Central Europe.
- 2009 Appointment of the German Academy for Gynecology and Obstetrics (DAGG) as the President of Congress in 2011.
- 2009 - 2013 Council Member of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology as the Representative of Central Europe (European Society of Gynecologic Oncology) and Head of the Education Committee (2011 - 2013).
- Since 2010 Establishment and management of the Epicenter Germany Сenter for Robotic Surgery in Gynecology (ISInc.), Da Vinci SI System®.
- 2011 Council of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO), Head of the Congress of Education Committee, President of the German Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology (DAGG) in Berlin.
- 2012 Member of the Society of Pelvic Surgeons, USA.
- 2012 Founding Member of the European Institute of Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2012 "Honorary Director" of the Breast Center, Nanjing University, China (Initiation of the project by the German Federal Ministry of Health and the People's Republic of China).
- 2012 Invitation to the Quality Assurance Team in Medicine (BQS) in Gynecology of the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- 2013 - 2016 Visiting Professor at Nanjing University, China.
- 2013 - 2015 Vice-President of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO).
- 2013 Council Member of the Society of European Robotic Gynecologic Surgery (SERGS).
- 2013 Commission Member for the Development of S3 Recommendations for the Prevention of Cervical Cancer of the German Cancer Society (DKG).
- 2013 Delegation to the Federal Expert Group on Gynecology for Cross-Sectoral Quality in Healthcare (SQG), Aqua Institute Göttingen.
- 2014 President of the Society of European Robotic Gynecologic Surgery (SERGS 6th) in Essen, May 22-24, 2014.
- 2014 First gynecologic surgery in Europe using a da Vinci Xi® Surgical System.
- 2015 Commission Member for the development of S3 Recommendations "Diagnostics and treatment of endometrial cancer" of the German Cancer Society (DKG).
- 2015 Secretary General/Treasurer of the Society of European Robotic Gynecologic Surgery (SERGS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Mammology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.