University Hospital Essen
Department of Hematology (289978)
Specialized in: hematology
About the Department of Hematology at University Hospital Essen
The Department of Hematology at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of blood diseases. To provide first-class medical care, it uses the most modern methods, including high-dose therapy with autologous stem cell transplantation, immunotherapy approaches, specific methods for the treatment of tumor diseases and molecular types of therapy. The department’s active research activities provide patients with the access to innovations in the treatment of one or another hematological pathology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Duehrsen.
As part of the West German Cancer Center Essen, the department covers all modern options for the treatment of hematopoietic cancer. The doctors of all related specialties are in the immediate vicinity, which allows to carry out the comprehensive diagnostics, therapy, as well as the regular interdisciplinary consultations, ensuring the selection of the optimal treatment strategy. The main therapeutic options for cancer treatment include the surgical measures, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormonal or cytokine therapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, as well as the symptomatic therapy for the elimination of pain, treatment of nausea and vomiting, and proper nutrition.
The department provides both inpatient and outpatient treatment. It provides medical care to more than 16,000 patients every year. It is the most striking proof of the outstanding quality of services and high authority in the area of specialization.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following hematopoietic diseases:
- Acute and chronic leukemias
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Myeloproliferative diseases
- Indolent non-Hodgkin lymphomas
- Aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphomas
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Red blood cell disorders
- Blood clotting disorders
- Hemorrhagic tendency
- Thrombosis (hypercoagulability)
- Other diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Duehrsen
- 1974 - 1981 Medical studies at the Universities of Hamburg, Germany, and Montpellier, France.
- 1981 Doctorate in Experimental Pharmacology.
- 1982 - 1986 Training in Internal Medicine at the Johanniter Hospital Geesthacht and the University Hospital Essen, Germany.
- 1986 - 1989 Training in Cell Biology at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, Australia.
- 1989 - 1992 Training in Hematology and Medical Oncology at the University Hospital Hamburg.
- 1992 Habilitation in Experimental Hematology.
- 1992 - 1998 Research Fellow in Hematology and Internal Oncology at the University Hospital Hamburg.
- Since 1998 Director of the Department of Hematology at the University Hospital Essen.
Fields of Interests
- Clinical and experimental studies in leukemias, lymphomas, multiple myeloma and bone marrow failure syndromes.
- Therapy optimisation and phase I, II and III studies in patients with leukaemias, myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative diseases, lymphomas, myelomas, anaemias and coagulation disorders.
- Development and evaluation of molecular prognostic markers in leukaemias and lymphomas.
- Stem cell therapy in haematopoietic and non-haematopoietic diseases.
- Structure and function of the hematopoietic microenvironment in healthy and diseased bone marrow.
- Telomeres and telomerase in healthy and diseased haematopoietic cells.
- Gene expression and aberrant gene utilisation in leukaemias and lymphomas.
- Murine models of leukaemogenesis.
- Murine models of hematopoietic stem cell control.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Hematology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.