University Hospital Essen
Department of Cardiology and Angiology (289979)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology
About the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at University Hospital Essen
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the University Hospital Essen ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the comprehensive treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The department's doctors have in their arsenal tremendous options for the treatment of coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, heart valve pathologies, heart failure, aortic diseases, congenital heart defects. Also, the specialists are highly competent in the emergency medical care and intensive care. The purpose of all department's employees is the provision of customized medical care based on the current guidelines of the international societies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Tienush Rassaf.
The department has a progressive Chest Pain Unit for the patients with acute and emergency conditions. The unit is equipped with the modern monitoring systems. The department also has several Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories, which annually perform more than 4,000 procedures for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. In addition, the department is the Center of Excellence for Advanced Heart Failure.
In the field of angiology, the department specializes in the diagnostics, counseling, drug and minimally invasive treatment (catheter intervention) of vascular diseases. Special attention is paid to the diagnostics and treatment of atherosclerotic lesions of the extracranial and peripheral arteries (for example, occlusive peripheral artery disease). In the treatment of these types of pathologies, balloon dilatation and recanalization are widely used.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of coronary heart disease, including transluminal balloon coronary angioplasty (TBCA), rotablation, recurrent restoration of occluded coronary arteries, intravascular ultrasound examinations, optical coherence tomography and fractional flow reserve measurement.
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases.
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Interventional mitral valve repair (MitraClip)
- Diagnostics and treatment of terminal heart failure, including heart transplantation and implantation of left-ventricular assist device (LVAD)
- Treatment of structural heart diseases
- Interventional closure of the atrial appendage (left atrial appendage occlusion)
- Interventional closure of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect closure
- Ablation in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Diagnostics and treatment of aortic diseases using aortic stenting
- Diagnostics and treatment of arrhythmias
- Emergency care in acute cardiac conditions (Chest Pain Unit)
- Cardiovascular intensive care
- All modern types of cardiovascular diagnostic imaging
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases and regular check-ups in the availability of risk factors
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Tienush Rassaf
- 02.2001 Doctoral thesis defense with honors.
- 2001 - 2002 Research Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA.
- 2002 - 2003 Scholar of the German Cardiac Society (DGK), Research on Cardiovascular Diseases, Institute of Cardiovascular Physiology at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 12.2008 Habilitation.
- 07.2010 - 07.2015 W2 Professor of the German Research Foundation (DFG) in Internal Medicine (focus on infarction), Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Head of the Research Group on Cardiovascular Diseases.
- 10.2012 - 07.2015 Deputy Chairman of the Research Committee of the Medical Faculty of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- Since 04.2014 Chairman of the Working Group "Coronary Blood Flow and Myocardial Perfusion", German Research Foundation.
- 1994 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf and the Texas Institute of Cardiology, University of Texas, Houston, Texas, USA.
- 2000 - 2001 Intern, Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2002 Admission to medical practice.
- 2003 - 2005 Assistant Physician, Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2005 - 2008 Assistant Physician, Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University Hospital Aachen.
- 2008 - 2009 Senior Physician, Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University Hospital Aachen and Managing Senior Physician in General Intensive Care.
- 2009 Senior Physician in the Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2012 Personal Senior Physician of the Medical Management Team, Leading Senior Physician in the Intensive Care Unit, Leading Senior Physician in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
- 2013 Managing Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department.
- Since 08.2015 Head of the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 01.2016 Speaker on Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Duisburg-Essen.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Cardiology and Angiology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.