University Hospital Essen
Department of Cardiology (289979)
Specialized in: cardiology
The goal of the Department of Cardiology at the Essen University Hospital is to provide the best patient medical care. The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Tienush Rassaf offers a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for an optimal treatment of the entire spectrum of cardiovascular diseases.
The Department of Cardiology at the Essen University Hospital specializes in diagnosis and treatment of ischemic heart disease, myocardial diseases and diseases of the heart valves. The specialization includes catheter diagnosis in case of ischemic heart disease, acute myocardial infarction, heart valve stenosis, insufficiency and congenital or acquired heart diseases in adults.
Moreover, within the framework of the Essen Association for Heart Attack, the Department is responsible for the twenty-four-hour emergency service of one of four city districts. The Essen University Hospital has the Internal Emergency Unit and the Chest Pain Unit. The Department pays particular attention to the identification of risk factors and counseling on individual nutrition in case of heart problems, as well as offers a comprehensive preventive diagnosis upon screening.
The research activity of the Department develops with the participation of the German Research Foundation and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. It is focused on the development of the most up-to-date multimodal non-invasive imaging methods.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiology at the Essen University Hospital ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The range of diagnostic and therapeutic services of the Department of Cardiology at the Essen University Hospital includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of coronary heart disease (CHD), including balloon dilatation (PTCA), rotary dilatation and coronary recanalization of vessels (CTO), intravascular ultrasound (IVUS), optical coherence tomography (OCT) and measurement of the fractional flow reserve (FFR)
- Treatment of heart valve diseases:
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Interventional mitral valve reconstruction (MitraClip)
- Treatment of terminal heart failure, including heart transplant and support system for the left heart (LVAD)
- Treatment of structural / congenital heart diseases:
- Interventional closure of the atrial appendage (LAA Occluder)
- Interventional closure of patent foramen ovale and closure of atrial septal defect
- Ablation for HCM
- Diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases with aortic stenting
- Diagnosis and treatment of cardiac arrhythmia
- Cardiovascular emergency medicine – 24/7 Department for Heart Attacks
- Cardiovascular intensive care medicine
- Cardiovascular imaging diagnosis
- Cardiovascular prevention and screening
University Hospital Essen
Department of Cardiology
- Essen, Germany