University Hospital Essen
Department of Neonatology, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neuropediatrics (289980)
Specialized in: neonatology, pediatric intensive care, neuropediatrics
About the department
The Department of Neonatology, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neuropediatrics at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ursula Felderhoff-Mueser, who, according to the Focus magazine, ranks among the top German doctors in the field of neonatology!
The department became one of the first medical facilities certified by the Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia as a Level I Perinatal Center. It provides first-class medical care for premature babies, newborns and children with congenital or neonatal diseases. The specialists in the field of pediatric intensive care guarantee quality care for seriously ill children, while the experienced neuropediatricians take care of the health of the nervous system in children of all age groups (from newborns to 18 years). Of particular interest in this focus is myasthenia therapy. The department is certified as a specialized center for the treatment of this pathology. A competent team of pediatric neurologists, psychologists, physiotherapists, nutritionists and neurophysiologists works with young patients to provide comprehensive treatment of neuropediatric diseases.
The department is equipped with state-of-the-art technologies for treating children and monitoring the vital functions of the child’s body in the intensive care unit. Also, special attention should be given to the design of the pediatric department. All rooms and wards are made in warm, pleasant colors, there are special game rooms, and if desired, one of the parents may stay in the patient room with the child.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Care for very small premature babies
- Care for twins
- Treatment of congenital malformations and diseases
- Treatment of brain diseases in newborns
- Pediatric intensive care
- Treatment of severe infections, especially in children with oncological and immunosuppressive pathologies
- Care for children after complex neurosurgical, orthopedic, urological, otolaryngological and ophthalmic operations
- Treatment of acute and chronic liver failure and conditions after liver transplantation
- Treatment of acute kidney failure
- Treatment of neuromuscular pathologies
- Treatment of acute respiratory failure
- Non-invasive lung ventilation
- Treatment of serious diseases developing immediately after birth, for example, metabolic disorders
- Treatment of neuromuscular diseases (certification of the German Society for Muscular Dystrophy Association)
- Myasthenia gravis treatment (certification of the German Myasthenia Association)
- Treatment of neuroinflammatory processes
- Epilepsy treatment
- Treatment of neurodegenerative and neurometabolic disorders, in particular the treatment of glucose transporter-1 deficiency and ketogenic diet
- Treatment of developmental disorders
- Care for premature babies
- Treatment of newborns with special neurological problems
- Treatment of tuberous sclerosis (within the framework of the certified center)
- Treatment as part of the numerous clinical trials
- Neurophysiological studies (for example, studies of the peripheral nerve motor and sensory functions, registration of somatosensory and visually acoustically induced potentials
- Diagnostics of neuromuscular diseases within the specialized laboratory
- Other medical services
Clinical and Scientific Career
- 01.1992 - 04.1992 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Mannheim.
- 05.1992 - 08.1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Neurology, training in the field of electroencephalography and training for the title of a Medical Specialist, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 09.1993 - 08.1997 Training for the title of a Medical Specialist, Department of Neuropediatrics, Augusta Victoria Academic Clinic at the Free University of Berlin.
- 09.1997 - 09.1998 Research Internship, Hammersmith Clinic, Imperial College, Weston Neurology Laboratory for Newborns, London, England.
- 10.1998 - 08.2000 Subspecialization in the Neonatology, Department of Neonatology, Charité, Campus Virchow, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 03.2000 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 09.2000 - 10.2008 Senior Physician, Department of Neonatology, Charité, Campus Virchow.
- 03.12.2003 Habilitation.
- 11.2005 Specialization in Neonatology.
- 20.05.2008 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor at the Charite.
- Since 01.11.2008 Head of the Department of Neonatology, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neuropediatrics at the University Hospital Essen.
Research Activities and their Focuses
- 1993 Doctoral dissertation: "Laser surgery of the fallopian tubes", Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1997 - 1998 Postdoctoral Program, Hammersmith Clinic, Imperial College, Weston Neurology Laboratory for Newborns, London, England.
- Since 1999 Department of Neonatology, Charité, Berlin: "Study of the mechanisms of brain damage in preterm and newborns".
- 2003 Habilitation: "The importance of apoptotic signal transmission mechanisms
- in clinical and experimental models of immature brain damage".
Awards and Appointments
- 09.1999 Young Investigators Award of the European Society for Pediatric Research.
- 01.2006 Invitation to the position of Professor in Experimental Neonatology at the University of Innsbruck.
- 05.2006 Research Prize of the German Society for Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care (GNPI).
- 08.2006 Invitation to the position of W2 Professor of Neonatology at the University of Aachen.
- 02.2008 Appointment to the position of W3 Professor in the Department of Neonatology, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neuropediatrics at the University Hospital Essen.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Since 1999 European Society for Pediatric Research, Brain Section (ESPR).
- Since 2000 Society of Neurosciences.
- Since 2002 European Neonatal Brain Club (ENBC).
- Since 2008 German Association for Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care (GNPI).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Neonatology, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neuropediatrics.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.