University Hospital Essen
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology (289981)
Peter Friedrich Hoyer
Specialized in: pediatric nephrology, gastroenterology, endocrinology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology at the University Hospital Essen offers the diagnostics and treatment of all kidney and adrenal, gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal disorders and diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. The department specializes in the treatment of congenital renal anomalies, inflammatory renal diseases, chronic renal insufficiency and hypertension. The department is the largest Center for Pediatric Dialysis in Western Germany. The Chief Physician of the department is a recognized expert in pediatric nephrology, gastroenterology and endocrinology, Prof. Dr. med. Peter F. Hoyer.
In the field of nephrology, the department offers the treatment of all kidney diseases in children and adolescents. For example, the service range includes the treatment of such congenital and acquired nephrological diseases as pyelonephritis and glomerulonephritis, various urinary tract disorders, acute, chronic and terminal kidney failure, etc. The department maintains close cooperation with other Nephrology Centers. The Chief Physician of the department is a Chairman of the Board of the Society for Pediatric Nephrology and is actively engaged in research in the field of the development of new treatment methods for nephrological, gastrointestinal and hormonal disorders in children.
The department also provides high-quality conservative and surgical treatment of all gastrointestinal diseases. It successfully treats various gastrointestinal, liver diseases, rare, chronic inflammatory diseases, acute and chronic liver failure, etc. The department’s specialists also carry out a thorough preparation and postoperative care for patients who need liver transplant.
Another department’s priority is the diagnostics and treatment of endocrine disorders (endocrinology). These include thyroid diseases, growth and puberty disorders, adrenal disorders, diabetes mellitus, etc. The diagnostic and treatment services are provided to patients of all age groups. An experienced medical team of the department, which consists of pediatric gastroenterologists, endocrinologists, diabetologists, specialists for dialysis and numerous nursing staff, makes every effort to ensure medical services of the highest quality.
The department’s service range includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract (nephrology)
- Congenital and acquired nephrological diseases (pyelonephritis and glomerulonephritis, various urinary tract disorders, etc.)
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Kidney diseases with glomerular involvement
- Kidney diseases with tubular involvement
- Kidney lesions due to the systemic connective tissue diseases
- Acute, chronic and terminal kidney failure
- Preoperative, postoperative care of patients who need kidney transplantation
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver (gastroenterology)
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Celiac disease
- Congenital diseases or abnormalities of the digestive tract
- Abdominal pain of unclear genesis
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Pancreatitis (chronic)
- Liver diseases
- Rare, chronic inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver
- Acute and chronic liver failure
- Preoperative preparation / postoperative monitoring of patients who need liver transplantation
- Diseases of the endocrine glands (endocrinology)
- Thyroid diseases
- Growth and puberty disorders
- Adrenal dysfunction (adrenogenital syndrome, ect.)
- Diabetes mellitus
- Special consultations
- Bladder dysfunction
- Diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Chronic kidney disease
- Diseases of the liver and intestines
- Outpatient transplant clinic
- Endocrine and growth disorders
- Various syndromal disorders, for example, Prader-Willi syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents
- Since 1998 Managing Director of the University Children's Hospital Essen as well as Director of the Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology at the University Hospital Essen.
- Vice Dean for Planning and Finances of the Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
Membership in Professional Societies
- 2012 - 2015 Chairman of the Society for Pediatric Nephrology, 04/2015 re-elected as the Chairman of the Board of the Society for Pediatric Nephrology for the next three years.
- Former President of the European Academy of Pediatrics.
- Former Treasurer of the European Society for Pediatric Nephrology.
- Former Chairman of the meetings of the Society for Pediatric Nephrology.
- Chairman of the Commission for Advanced Training Issues of the German Academy of Children's and Youth Medicine.
- Deputy Editor of the British Archives of Diseases in Childhood.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.