University Hospital Essen
Department of Pediatrics III (Hematology/Oncology, Pulmonology, Cardiology) (289982)
Specialized in: pediatrics, hematology, oncology, pulmonology, cardiology
The Department of Pediatrics III at the Essen University Hospital specializes in hematology / oncology, pulmonology, cardiology and rheumatology. Within the framework of these focuses, there are treated many patients from the Ruhr Area and from other regions. the director of the Department is Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Reinhardt.
The Section of Hematology / Oncology at the Essen University Hospital ranks among five largest centers of this medical specialization in Germany and deals, in particular, with the treatment of patients having neuroblastomas, brain tumors, retinoblastomas and leukemia.
The Section of Pediatric Pulmonology is another specialized section of the Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Reinhardt. It treats children with serious chronic respiratory tract diseases. The Centre of Excellence for Sleep Medicine and Mechanical Ventilation at the Essen University Hospital is one of the leading European departments in providing medical care to the patients on a prolonged artificial lung ventilation.
In close cooperation with the West German Heart Centre of Essen and the German Child Heart Centre of Saint Augustine, the Section of Cardiology offers all modern diagnostic and therapeutic procedures for the treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects.
The Center of Excellence for Rheumatology keeps a German account of autoinflammatory diseases. There is treated the whole range of rheumatic diseases.
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Pediatrics III at the Essen University Hospital are:
- Pediatric hematology and oncology
- Tumors of all organs, bone tumors, brain tumors
- Acute and chronic leukemias
- Blood diseases (anemia, thalassemia, sickle-cell anemia, spherocytosis)
- Diseases of the hematopoietic system (e.g. Fanconi anemia, Diamond-Blackfan anemia etc.)
- Coagulation disorders (hemophilia, thrombophilia, thrombopathy)
- Respiratory tract diseases
- Cystic fibrosis
- Sleep medicine and non-invasive ventilation
- Diagnosis, as well as drug and interventional therapy for congenital and acquired heart diseases
- Prenatal heart diagnosis
- Care of adults with congenital heart defects in the Department of Cardiology
- Essen, Germany