University Hospital Essen
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Pulmonology, Cardiology and Rheumatology (289982)
Specialized in: pediatric oncology, hematology, pulmonology, cardiology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Pulmonology, Cardiology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of medical services in these fields. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the hematopoietic system, various types of cancer, pathologies of the lungs, cardiovascular system and rheumatic diseases. An experienced medical team of the department, consisting of 18 doctors and 56 nurses, provides an optimal treatment and quality care for young patients of different age categories. The department treats about 1,300 inpatients and more than 12,300 outpatients every year. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Reinhardt.
In the field of hematology, young patients receive the treatment of all benign and malignant blood diseases. The focus is on the treatment of leukemia, thalassemia, anemia, immunodeficiency disorders, blood clotting disorders, etc.
The pediatric oncologists of the department deal with the treatment of various malignant diseases in children and adolescents. A special focus is on brain tumors, solid tumors, leukemias and lymphomas. The course of oncopathology in children differs significantly from the pathological process in adults, and therefore the treatment is provided by specially trained pediatricians. All the diagnostic and therapeutic measures comply with national protocols developed by the experts of the German Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, which are regularly updated and adapted to current scientific advances. Thus, the treatment process is optimized, which guarantees the most positive treatment outcome. The department is certified by the German Cancer Society. In addition to the main treatment methods, for example, chemotherapy, stem cell transplantation, the children and their parents are offered psychosocial support, palliative care, etc.
Another key focus of the department is pediatric pulmonology. The doctors have excellent qualifications in the treatment of all diseases of the upper respiratory tract, lungs, respiratory muscles and thorax in children and adolescents. The department operates the Center for Cystic Fibrosis, Rare Lung Diseases and Chronic Respiratory failure (integrated into the Center for Rare Diseases). The young patients are offered a wide range of diagnostic examinations, such as pulmonary function testing using spirometry, whole body plethysmography, methacholine challenge test, spiroergometry, bronchoscopy, sleep screening (within the framework of the specialized laboratory), sweat test, allergic tests, flexible digital endoscopy and many other diagnostic methods.
In the field of pediatric cardiology, the department provides the treatment of congenital and acquired diseases of the heart and blood vessels in patients under the age of 18 years. Due to the availability of the advanced medical equipment and high competence of doctors, many heart pathologies are diagnosed and treated in the womb. To make an accurate diagnosis, there are used various studies, such as echocardiography, color-coded vascular ultrasound, transesophageal echocardiography, including 3D scanning, electrocardiogram, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, ergometry, spiroergometry, etc. The pediatric cardiologists are also competent in the interventional diagnostics and therapy of heart pathologies in children. The department also specializes in the treatment of heart arrhythmias (implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators).
The department’s service spectrum is complemented by the diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases in children and adolescents (in particular, juvenile idiopathic arthritis). Rheumatic diseases are difficult to diagnose, while their detection requires an immediate, comprehensive treatment. The treatment process involves ophthalmologists, pediatric orthopedists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychologists and other specialists. In most cases, therapy is outpatient, but depending on the situation and the severity of the disease, inpatient care may be required. The treatment of children with rheumatic diseases is carried out in strict accordance with the recommendations of the German Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology and the North Rhine-Westphalian League Against Rheumatology.
The department’s service range includes:
- Pediatric hematology and oncology
- Benign blood diseases
- Hemorrhagic disorders (for example, myelodysplastic syndrome, severe aplastic anemia)
- Congenital anemias (for example, thalassemia, sickle cell anemia, Diamond-Blackfan anemia or spherocytosis)
- Acquired anemias (for example, iron deficiency anemia)
- Immunologically related cytopenias (thrombopenia, neutropenia, anemia)
- Congenital neutropenia and congenital amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Coagulation disorders with a tendency to bleeding, such as hemophilia or von Willebrand disease
- Coagulation disorders with thromboembolic complications, thrombosis and stroke
- Malignant diseases of the hematopoietic and nervous systems
- Brain tumors
- Solid tumors
- Diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Bone marrow puncture
- Lumbar puncture
- Radiological diagnostics
- Radiation therapy
- Maintenance therapy (for example, blood transfusion, antibiotics)
- Alternative forms of therapy (for example, mistletoe therapy)
- Psychosocial support
- Benign blood diseases
- Pediatric pulmonology
- Malformations of the respiratory tract and lungs
- Malformations of the pulmonary vascular system
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Primary ciliary dyskinesia
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Exogenous allergic alveolitis
- Bronchial asthma
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chronic respiratory infections
- Systemic diseases due to the lesions of the airways and/or lungs
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
- Cystic fibrosis
- Rare diseases of the respiratory tract and lungs
- Pediatric cardiology
- Echocardiography (heart ultrasound), including 3D imaging using color Doppler
- Color Doppler of the heart vessels
- Transesophageal echocardiography, including 3D imaging with color Doppler
- Long-term ECG recording
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Ergometry/spiroergometry (stress studies of the heart)
- Pulse oximetry (oxygen saturation measurement)
- Tilt test for syncope diagnostics
- Cardiopulmonary studies, including computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the heart and blood vessels
- Interventional diagnostics and therapy (catheter techniques)
- Diagnostic tests
- Dilatation in heart valve stenosis
- Stent implantation in vascular stenosis
- Heart valve implantation o
- Closure of heart defects (holes)
- Care for adults with congenital heart diseases
- Pediatric rheumatology
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Drug therapy, including modern biological drugs
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Other diseases, other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 1987 - 1993 Study of Sports Sciences, University of Göttingen.
- 1987 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine, University of Göttingen.
- 12.1993 Doctoral thesis defense in Pediatrics.
- 01.1994 - 1999 Junior Research Assistant in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Göttingen.
- 11.1999 Research Assistant in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Muenster.
- 2000 St. Jude Children Research Hospital (Prof. Dario Campana), Memphis.
- 08.2000 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 01.2005 Habilitation at the University of Muenster.
- 04.2005 Pediatric Hematology and Oncology / Stem Cell Transplantation.
- 05.2005 Senior Physician in the Department of Pediatric Hematology / Oncology at the Hannover Medical School (Director: Prof. Dr. med. K. Welte).
- 11.2005 Specialization in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology; Member of the Medical Commission of the Medical Association of Lower Saxony.
- 03.2007 Invitation to W2 Professorship for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the University of Leipzig (rejection).
- 10.2007 Extraordinary Professor of the Hannover Medical School.
- Since 03.2010 Chair of the I-BFM AML Study Committee.
- Since 06.2009 Head of the AML-BFM Study Group.
- 03.2011 - 03.2012 Head of the Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Hannover Medical School.
- 03.2012 Additional qualification in Laboratory Diagnostics in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Medical Association of Lower Saxony.
- 03.2012 Chair of the I-BFM AML Study Committee, 2nd term.
- 09.2012 2nd Acting Chairman of the Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH).
- 08.2013 Managing Director (honorary) of the Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (GPOH).
- 09.2014 Head of the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Pulmonology, Cardiology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Essen; W3 Professorship at the University of Duisburg-Essen.
Membership in Societies and Functions
- Since 09.2007 1st Chairman of the "Network for the care of seriously ill children and adolescents".
- 12.2008 Speaker of the Working Group on Pediatric Palliative Care of Lower Saxony.
- 06.2009 Managing Director "Care network for critically ill children".
- Since 2011 Member of the Clinical Trial Committee of the ITCC.
- Since 2013 2nd Deputy Chairman of the Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (GPOH).
- Since 2013 Managing Director (honorary) of the Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (GPOH).
- 09.2014 Specialized Ambulatory Pediatric Palliative Care (SAPPV) in Lower Saxony.
Prizes and Awards
- 2006 Poster Prize of the North German Society for Pediatrics.
- 08.2006 Travel Award of the American Society of Hematology.
- 2010 Prize of the Quality Initiative of Lower Saxony.
- 2012 Cancer Award of the NIO (Lower Saxony Oncologists).
- 2014 Study Award of the German Cancer Aid.
- 2014 German Childhood Cancer Aftercare Award.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Pulmonology, Cardiology and Rheumatology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.