University Hospital Essen
Department of Neurology (289984)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Essen ranks among the top German departments specializing in multiple sclerosis treatment!
The department offers the full range of services in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system in accordance with the very latest medical standards. Of particular interest is the treatment of Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, stroke, epilepsy, chronic headaches. The department employs highly qualified world-famous specialists, who are distinguished not only by their successful clinical activities, but also by the productive research activities, the results of which are being actively implemented in the department’s daily clinical practice. The department has 73 beds. A modern certified Stroke Unit serves for the optimal stroke treatment. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christoph Kleinschnitz.
The department offers excellent diagnostic options, for example, the Section for Functional Diagnostics, which functions on the basis of the department, carries out such important neurological examinations as Doppler and duplex ultrasonography of the cerebral vessels, electronystagmography, electroencephalography, registration of evoked potentials, electromyography, electroneurography, cerebrospinal fluid analysis, etc.
One of the main department’s areas of specialization include the diagnostics and treatment of patients with benign and malignant tumors of the brain, spinal cord and their meninges, brain metastases from other cancers (clinical neuro-oncology). It also provides medical care for the patients with paraneoplastic syndromes (indirect influence of cancer on the nervous system and other organs). The treatment is carried out in close cooperation with the specialists from the West German Cancer Center Essen, which is considered one of the largest and leading medical facilities of this kind in Germany. Thus, the patients are provided with interdisciplinary, comprehensive and customized treatment of oncological pathologies with access to the best medicines and innovative therapies.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of ataxia
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Essential tremor
- Restless leg syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of various types of dementia (for example, Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia)
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the peripheral nervous system and muscles
- Inflammatory neuropathies (Guillain-Barré syndrome, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy)
- Hereditary neuropathies (for example, hereditary motor-sensory neuropathy)
- Recurrent paralysis
- Multifocal motor neuropathy
- Lesions of the peripheral nervous system due to vasculitides
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic back pain
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of dizziness
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurovascular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of headaches
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological pathologies
- 11.1994 - 09.1999 Study of Human Medicine, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 18.09.1996 Preliminary Examination in Medicine.
- 28.08.1997 Medical Exam, Part 1.
- 10.09.1999 Medical Exam, Part 2.
- 21.11.2000 Medical Exam, Part 3.
- 10.1997 - 03.1999 Doctoral thesis defense, experimental part, Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology at the University of Würzburg (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. H. Schmidt); 20.06.2001 defense with honors. Subject: "Intracellular localization and distribution of the nitric oxide receptor – soluble guanylate cyclase".
- 01.2001 - 06.2002 Intern, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Würzburg (Head: Prof. Dr. K. Toyka).
- 07.2002 Full admission to medical practice.
- 07.2002 - 07.2007 Research Fellow and Assistant Physician, training in Neurology, Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Würzburg. Member of the Working Group "Molecular Neuroimaging" (Prof. Dr. G. Stoll), as well as Clinical Research Group on Multiple Sclerosis (Prof. Dr. H. Wiendl).
- Since 07.2007 Professional certification in Neurology.
- Since 07.2007 Head of the Working Group "Experimental Stroke".
- 04.2008 Habilitation in Neurology, University of Würzburg. Subject: ''In vivo imaging and therapeutic value of the development of infarction due to the cerebral ischemia: mechanisms of blood clot formation and neuroprotection'' (28.04.2008, defense).
- Since 04.2008 Senior Physician in the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- Since 02.05.2016 Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Essen.
Membership in Medical Societies
- Since 2003 German Society of Neurology (DGN).
- Since 2003 European Neurological Society (ENS).
- Since 2004 German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology (DGKN).
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN).
- Since 2005 Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Consensus Group (MSTKG).
- Since 2007 Co-Founder of the Society for Experimental Stroke (SFES).
- Since 2007 Co-Editor of the Journal of Experimental Stroke and Translational Medicine.
- 2002 Basic course in animal protection and animal science.
- 2006 Theoretical foundations in Radiation Protection according to the requirements of X-ray examinations (emergency diagnostics).
- EMG certification of the German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging (DGKN).
- 2007 Certificate in Special Neurological Ultrasound Diagnostics of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- 2006 International Scholarship Award of the American Academy of Neurology, USA.
- 2006 Neurologists in Training Encouraging Award of the European Neurological Society (ENS).
- 2006 Young Scientist Award of the Center for Stroke Research Charité, zberlin.
- 2007 Hermann Rein Prize of the Society for Microcirculation and Vascular Biology, Berlin.
- 2008 Theodor Naegeli Prize of the Naegeli Foundation, Basel, Switzerland.
- 2008 Award for the doctoral thesis of the Wilhelm H. Ruchti Foundation of the University of Würzburg.
- "STIM1-dependent calcium entry as an antithrombotic target" (University of Würzburg, SFI – 103.029-1/08).
- “Glycoprotein Ib and Willebrand factor as a therapeutic target for the prevention and treatment of ischemic stroke” (University of Würzburg, SEP – 103.323-2/08).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.