University Hospital Essen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology (289985)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, traumatology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology at the University Hospital Essen ranks among the top German orthopedic hospitals in 2019!
The department offers the diagnostics and treatment of all acute and chronic diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system. At the same time, it uses the very latest methods, for example, minimally invasive and computerized surgical, as well as innovative therapeutic techniques. These include the application of innovative implants, growth promoters or stem cells in the restoration of bone and cartilage tissues. Particular attention is paid to joint replacement surgery. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Marcus Jäger.
The department is a certified Center for Endoprosthetics and achieves the outstanding results in this field. The department is distinguished from other regional and interregional centers by the high-quality materials, minimally invasive surgical methods and innovative techniques for endoprosthesis fixing, etc. The specialists have a particular competence in the field of oncological and revision joint replacement surgery, the use of minimally invasive implants and the treatment of advanced osteonecrosis.
Other important focuses of the department include foot orthopedics, rheumatic, orthopedic oncology, hand, shoulder surgery, spinal orthopedics, sports orthopedics and traumatology, etc. The department successfully treats all deformations, axial deviations, upper and lower limb length discrepancy. It offers the full range of medical services, ranging from conservative treatment to surgical interventions and all the options of modern joint replacement surgery, osteosynthesis, corrective osteotomy, soft tissue interventions, etc.
The department is a recognized Center for Pediatric Orthopedics. It treats all pediatric orthopedic diseases, including the hip and spinal pathologies. Another priority is the treatment of pediatric tumors and tumor-like diseases of the musculoskeletal system. To ensure the best treatment results, there is maintained close cooperation with the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes the following options:
- Joint replacement surgery (certified Center for Endoprosthetics)
- Primary and partial replacement of all joints
- Surgery to replace endoprosthesis due to the poor implant fixation, infection or persistent pain
- Treatment of joint stiffness (ankylosis)
- Removal of pathological nuclei of ossification (heterotopic ossification)
- Treatment of repeated endoprosthesis misalignment
- Deformations and malformations
- Congenital or acquired leg and arm length difference
- Axial deviations, O- or X-shaped lower extremities
- Bone and joint deformities due to the injuries, infections
- Malformations due to cancers
- Foot orthopedics
- Diseases of the forefoot and metatarsal bone
- Treatment of bone fractures
- Hallux valgus
- Osteoarthritis of the big toe
- Hammer and claw fingers
- Painful foot with flat transverse arch (metatarsalgia)
- Morton's neuroma
- Stress fractures
- Tarsal and hindfoot diseases
- Treatment of bone fractures
- Severe flat feet (flat valgus foot)
- Hollow foot (often due to the neurological diseases)
- Ankle and tarsal osteoarthritis
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Tendon ruptures (degenerative or acute)
- Achilles tendon disorders
- Diseases of the forefoot and metatarsal bone
- Hand surgery
- All acute hand injuries
- All consequences of accidents or injuries (for example, pseudoarthrosis of the navicular bone)
- Hand infections and inflammations
- Hand nodules / tumors (for example, ganglion)
- Hand malformations and deformities, including rheumatic diseases
- Nerve injury or compression syndromes of the hand and arm (for example, carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve narrowing)
- Age-related changes in the hand (for example, arthritis of the thumb saddle joint)
- Other hand diseases (for example, Dupuytren's contracture, springy fingers, etc.)
- Aseptic necrosis of carpal bones (for example, lunate bone necrosis)
- Shoulder surgery
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Forearm calcification (Tendinosis calcarea)
- Rotator cuff tear
- Scapulohumeral periarthritis
- Shoulder dislocation / shoulder instability
- Biceps tendon inflammation
- Acromioclavicular joint injury
- Osteoarthritis of the acromioclavicular joint
- Shoulder (bone) fractures
- Formation of decompression holes
- Transplantation of patient's own and donor bone tissues
- Autologous bone cartilage transplantation
- Various corrective osteotomies
- Surgical stabilization of the affected area using implants
- Use of bone substitutes (biomaterials)
- All types of joint replacement surgery, also using minimally invasive techniques
- Spinal orthopedics
- Traumatic and pathological fractures of the spine
- Acute pain syndromes of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine with and without neurological disorders
- Chronic pain syndrome
- Spinal disc herniation of all spinal sections
- Spinal instability (for example, vertebral slip)
- Degenerative diseases of the spine, such as spinal stenosis or facet joint arthrosis
- All spinal deformities, including scoliosis and kyphosis, etc.
- Scheuermann's disease
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- All spinal tumors, including spinal metastases
- Pathological spinal fractures
- Infectious spinal diseases
- Orthopedic rheumatology
- Sports orthopedics / joint preservation therapy
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Hip dysplasia
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
- Slipped femoral epiphysis
- Various inflammatory changes in the joints, including rheumatic diseases
- Spinal curvature (scoliosis, kyphosis, Scheuermann's disease, etc.)
- Orthopedic oncology
- Diagnostics and treatment of other orthopedic diseases in children and adults
Education and Professional Experience
- 1992 Study of Medicine at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt, then at the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 04/1998 - 08/1998 Practical year, Orthopedic Surgery at the Cantonal Hospital in St. Gallen under the supervision of Prof. Dr. med. med. A. Gächter (Switzerland).
- 08/1998 - 12/1998 Practical year, Internal Medicine under the supervision of Prof. Dr. med. med. v. Wichert at the University Hospital of the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 12/1998 - 03/1999 Practical year, Surgery under supervision of Prof. Dr. med. med. M. Rothmund at the University Hospital of the Philipps University of Marburg.
- 04.11.1999 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Experimental Orthopedics and Biomechanics, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 05/1999 - 06/2000 Internship at the Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Klinikum Kassel, Academic Teaching Hospital of the Philipps University of Marburg (Director: Dr. med. M. Raible).
- 06/2000 - 11/2000 Research Fellow at the Department of Orthopedics at the Hospital of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf (Director: Prof. Dr. med. R. Krauspe).
- 22.06.2005 Board certification in Orthopedics (Chamber of Physicians North-Rhine).
- 06/2005 - 09/2005 Specialist in Orthopedics in the Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 10/2005 - 05/2007 Senior Physician of the Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 04/2007 - 04/2011 Head of the Department and Acting Medical Director of the Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 13.06.2007 Board certification in Orthopedics and Traumatology (Chamber of Physicians of North-Rhine).
- 20.12.2007 Habilitation and Venia legendi, Department of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Since 05/2011 Director of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology at the University Hospital Essen and Head of the Department of Orthopedics at the Kliniken Essen Süd.
- Since 04/2012 Acting Director of the Department of Trauma Surgery at the University Hospital Essen.
Prizes and Awards
- Multiple awards in the field of orthopedic surgery.
- Heine-Award of the German Society for Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC).
- Highly esteemed ASG (Austria Swiss German) Fellowship.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics and Traumatology.
University Hospital Essen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home