University Hospital Essen
Department for Adult and Pediatric Diseases of the Anterior Segment of the Eye (290001)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diseases of the posterior segment of the eye
About the department
The Department for Adult and Pediatric Diseases of the Anterior Segment of the Eye at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the eyelids, conjunctiva, cornea and lacrimal duct. Also, one of the department’s key clinical focuses is orthoptics, namely, diagnostics and therapy of diseases of the eye muscles and orbit. The department's specialists have vast experience and deep expertise in strabismus correction in adults and children. The clinical practice is based on the application of exclusively scientifically approved and most effective treatment methods. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Henrike Westekemper.
The department’s priorities include glaucoma therapy (chronic eye disease with elevated intraocular pressure). The delayed treatment may result in a serious damage to the optic nerve, which leads to irreversible blindness. Glaucoma is one of the most common causes of blindness worldwide. The therapeutic options for the treatment of glaucoma include both drug and surgical techniques. Drug therapy aims to prevent further development of the pathology by stabilizing intraocular pressure. However, if drug therapy does not give a positive dynamic, the patient cannot avoid surgical treatment (it is also possible to use laser techniques).
Also, the department's ophthalmologists specialize in the treatment of endocrine ophthalmopathy (inflammatory orbital disease, which in most cases develops due to hyperthyroidism). Depending on the stage of the disease and the dynamics of its course, the patient may be prescribed drug therapy with glucocorticosteroids in the form of pills or by intravenous administration, irradiation, targeted therapy in order to relief symptoms, while the advanced conditions require more serious interventions.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of eyelids in adults and children (for example, ptosis, blepharochalasis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pathologies of the lacrimal duct (for example, dry eye syndrome)
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma
- Early detection of pathology and regular monitoring of its course
- Intraocular pressure measurement (also several times a day and, if necessary, at night)
- Visual field testing
- Optic nerve imaging (scanning laser tomography)
- Nerve fiber layer thickness determination (scanning laser polarimetry)
- Pulsatile ocular blood flow (POBF)measurement using scanning laser Doppler flowmetry (SLDF) and detection of possible causes of circulatory disorders (in collaboration with the Departments of Internal Medicine, Otolaryngology, Immunology)
- Selection of the necessary group of drugs for drug therapy
- Full range of surgical treatment of glaucoma (including laser technology)
- Diagnostics, drug and surgical therapy of congenital and pediatric glaucoma
- Clinical and experimental trials
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine ophthalmopathy
- Drug therapy with glucocorticosteroids (pills and intravenous administration)
- Targeted therapy in order to relieve symptoms
- Surgical treatment
- Diagnostics and treatment of double vision
- Diagnostics and treatment of orthoptic disorders in adults and children
- Latent forms of strabismus
- Refractive disorders (anisometropia)
- Paralytic strabismus (paresis of the eye muscles)
- Torticollis due to the visual impairment
- Head and eye pain (asthenopia)
- Eyelid spasms (blepharospasm, hemifacial spasm, Botox injections)
- Neurological diseases with eye lesion
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the anterior eye segment
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department for Adult and Pediatric Diseases of the Anterior Segment of the Eye.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.