University Hospital Essen
Department of Nephrology (290002)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the department
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases, hypertension, immunological diseases and kidney failure. The scope of tasks of the department’s specialists includes kidney transplantation from a living donor, including сross kidney transplantation and kidney transplantation in ABO incompatibility, the preparation and subsequent care after transplantation. The department performs all dialysis and other extracorporeal procedures, including hepatic dialysis. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Kribben.
The department was founded in 1963 and today it is one of the best in its field of activities. It treats more than 1,000 inpatients and 8,500 outpatients every year. A highly qualified medical team takes care of the health of patients. It consists of 18 doctors, including 9 medical specialists in internal medicine, nephrology, hypertensiology, infectology and laboratory diagnostics. The competent care is provided by the specially trained nurses. The department's doctors strictly follow the national and international treatment protocols. The department’s activities are not limited to clinical practice, therefore, it is involved in research in order to optimize the treatment of nephrological diseases, as well as in the specialized training of medical students.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of renal parenchymal diseases, in particular progressive glomerulonephritis and diabetic nephropathy, acute kidney failure
- Analysis of autoantibodies (ANA/ANCA, etc.)
- Urinalysis (within the specialized Nephrology Laboratory): urine microalbumin test, creatinine clearance
- Duplex ultrasound imaging (also for ultrasound-guided kidney biopsy)
- Kidney biopsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of arterial hypertension (special focus on malignant and secondary hypertension, renovascular and endocrine hypertension)
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Hormone test in order to identify the endocrine causes of hypertension
- Diagnostics of kidney disease and pathological changes in blood vessels, for example, renal artery stenosis
- Nutrition counseling
- Screening for obstructive sleep apnea
- Assessment of hemodynamics in order to study the function of the sympathetic nervous system, renin-angiotensin system and endothelium function, including the conduction of clinical and experimental trials
- Preparation and follow-up monitoring of patients after kidney transplantation (participation in the Eurotransplant)
- Various types of respiratory therapy
- Special techniques in order to improve endurance, flexibility, coordination and motor skills
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Healing baths
- Exercise therapy
- Other classic physiotherapy techniques
- Dialysis procedures
- Continuous venovenous hemodialysis
- Ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
- Replacement therapy for hepatic failure syndrome
- Nocturnal hemodialysis
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Nephrology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.