University Hospital Essen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery (290005)
Specialized in: cardiothoracic surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Essen ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the surgical treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system and lung cancer!
The department offers the full range of surgical services for the treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system, respiratory tract, including heart and lung transplantation, artificial heart implantation. The therapeutic options include aortic surgery, coronary artery bypass grafting, transplantation surgery, surgical treatment of heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmias), minimally invasive surgery, surgical treatment of the heart valves, including reconstructive interventions. All operations are performed using state-of-the-art technology and in accordance with the current recommendations of professional societies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Weymann.
The department began its work in 1961, therefore it has rich traditions and it is a pioneer in many fields, for example, the first pacemaker was implanted here in 1962, while in 1968 there was performed the first operation using a heart-lung machine. The department has three operating rooms equipped with the cutting-edge technology, which allows to provide the highest level of security for the patients. Also the department operates an ultramodern hybrid operating room, which serves for the performance of combined catheter and open surgical procedures. The department's surgeons carry out more than 2,000 operations every year, 1,300 of which are performed using a heart-lung machine.
The service range of the department includes:
- Aortic surgery (in thoracic aortic aneurysm)
- Implantation of a special prosthetic stent (a new, sparing treatment method)
- Transplantation surgery
- Heart transplantation
- Lung transplantation (unilateral, bilateral one)
- Combined heart and lung transplantation
- Artificial heart implantation (auxiliary system/total replacement)
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Bypass grafting (arterial revascularization)
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve surgery (reconstruction with valve preservation and replacement)
- Carotid artery surgery (aneurysm and dissection)
- Combined interventions
- Comprehensive heart surgery (aortic arch surgery, heart valve damage, pulmonary embolism, revision surgery)
- Surgical treatment of arrhythmia
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Triple chamber stimulation
- Alternative Maze procedure in atrial fibrillation
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Minimally invasive interventions on heart valves
- Catheter aortic valve surgery (transapical aortic valve replacement)
- Endoscopic cardiac surgery (endoscopic mitral valve surgery)
- Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting
- Heart valve surgery
- Anticoagulation therapy
- Endoscopic heart valve surgery
- Aortic valve reconstruction
- Ozaki procedure (new aortic valve reconstruction using a pericardial flap)
- Other surgical treatments
- 2000 - 2006 Study of Human Medicine, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 2003 - 2005 Fellowship in the Department of Cardiac Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 23.03.2007 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin. Subject: "Influence of an AT1-Antagonist (Eprosartan) on the consequences of acute ischemia on the isolated, blood perfused swine heart".
- 16.07.2015 Postdoctoral Research and Venia legendi for Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Heidelberg. Subject: "Production of cardiovascular tissue from decellularized material".
- 05.09.2002 Preliminary Examination.
- 28.08.2003 I. State Exam.
- 26.09.2005 II. State Exam.
- 19.10.2006 III. State Exam.
- 20.10.2006 License to practice medicine.
- 01.12.2006 - 31.08.2009 Researcher and Resident, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 01.09.2009 Researcher and Resident, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Heart Center at the University of Heidelberg.
- 01.01.2010 Full Contract Physician, German Organ Transplantation Foundation.
- 13.05.2013 Cardiac Surgeon, Medical Association of North Baden.
- 27.08.2013 Registered with a licence to practise, General Medical Council, United Kingdom.
- 01.10.2013 - 30.09.2014 Specialist Registrar, Royal Brompton and Hareﬁeld NHS Foundation Trust, Department of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support, London, United Kingdom.
- Since February 2014 Leading Surgeon for Thoracic Organ Retrievals, Royal Brompton and Hareﬁeld NHS Foundation Trust.
- 01.10.2014 Senior Physician, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Heart Center at the University of Heidelberg.
- 01.09.2016 - 26.01.2017 Deputy Medical Director and Leading Senior Physician, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Oldenburg.
- 27.01.2017 - 31.03.2017 Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Oldenburg.
- 01.09.2019 Head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital Essen.
- 2017 Ernst Derra Prize from the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 2017 Travel Grant from the Japanese Surgical Society.
- 2015 St. Jude Medical Prize from the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 2015, 2014 Travel Grant from the Japanese Surgical Society.
- 2014 Vascular Surgery Research Prize from the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.