University Hospital Essen
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (290005)
Heinz Günther Jakob
Specialized in: thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Essen University Hospital under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Heinz Günther Jakob offers the full range of services in the treatment of heart diseases, requiring surgery, including transplant of chest organs, heart and lung support systems and aortic surgery. The Department also specializes in minimally invasive cardiac surgery techniques, transcatheter implantation of heart valves, as well as in the surgical treatment of cardiac arrhythmia. According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Essen University Hospital ranks among the top German departments specializing in cardiac surgery and lung cancer treatment!
The range of services of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Essen University Hospital covers heart surgery, including bypass surgery / heart valve surgery, endovascular treatment of thoracic aorta (internal stenting), endoscopic heart valve surgery (“keyhole” surgery), as well as the placement of pacemakers and defibrillators. In cooperation with the clinic of the Ruhr Area, the Essen University Hospital has developed the transplant program of thoracic organs, including artificial heart implantation. The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Heinz Günther Jakob provides preparation, heart or lung transplant and postoperative monitoring with the corresponding medical care and follow-up examinations. Other focuses include emergency / intensive medical care for patients with heart diseases, as well as surgical treatment of benign and malignant lung tumors, lower respiratory tract diseases and injuries after accidents.
There are three operating rooms equipped with the cutting-edge technology. They allow doctors to perform all current widespread surgical procedures in the field of thoracic and cardiac surgery under optimal conditions and with the maximum safety for the patient. The Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Essen University Hospital also has the co-called “hybrid room”, which is the first of its kind in Europe. This “hybrid room” combines a cardiac catheterization laboratory and an operating room. Most notably, it allows to provide a simultaneous patient medical care by both surgeon and cardiologist. These specialists carry out treatment and diagnosis together on the same table.
The range of services of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Essen University Hospital includes:
- Aortic surgery
- Heart transplant
- Lung transplant (unilateral, bilateral)
- Heart and lung transplant
- Artificial heart implantation (support systems / complete replacement)
- Bypass surgery
- Bypass surgery (arterial revascularization)
- Coronary artery bypass grafting without the cardiopulmonary bypass
- Heart valve surgery (reconstruction = with valve preservation and prosthesis replacement)
- Carotid artery surgery in the thoracic section (aneurysm and dissection)
- Combined interventions
- Complex cardiac surgery (aortic arch surgery, heart valve inflammation, pulmonary embolism, repeated operations)
- Surgical treatment of cardiac arrhythmia
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Three-chamber pacing
- “Maze” alternative upon atrial fibrillation
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Heart valves
- Treatment with antiplatelet drugs
- Endoscopic heart valve surgery
- Aortic valve reconstruction
- Ozaki surgery – a new aortic valve reconstruction technique with the use of the pericardial flap
In cooperation with the Ruhrland Clinic, the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery ranks among the largest Transplant Centers of Germany (moreover, in 2008 the Department was in the list of top 15 clinics in the world).
The Ruhrland Clinic Essen is an affiliated institution of the Essen University Hospital. As the West German Lung Cancer Center at the Essen University Hospital, the Ruhrland Clinic offers a wide range of services. The clinic has a great number of clinical cases of both common and rare lung diseases. Furthermore, over many years, the Ruhrland Clinic has conducted clinical researches in the fields of lung cancer (and thoracic tumors), COPD (pulmonary emphysema), pulmonary fibrosis, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency and sarcoidosis, cystic fibrosis in adulthood, lung transplantation and in the field of sleep medicine.
Thoracic surgery and thoracic endoscopy make up one of the core activities of the Ruhrland Clinic Essen. With 2,300 operations a year, the Department of Thoracic Surgery and Endoscopy is one of the most important in Germany and Europe. Apart from inpatient clinical cases, every year 2,000 outpatients receive counseling here. If necessary, the cases of these patients are discussed within the framework of the interdisciplinary cancer consultation. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Aigner and his team annually perform 1,200 open thoracic operations and about 1,000 minimally invasive surgical procedures. Over 80% of patients receive the surgical treatment of such malignancies as lung cancer or lung metastases from other tumors. Since November 2014, the range of surgical procedures with the use of DaVinci robotic system has been constantly extending. Thus, thoracic surgery in the Ruhrland Clinic Essen is the only German medical institution, specializing in thoracic surgery, with its own permanently available robotic system. Moreover, it has recently been accredited as the first German Center for monitoring the treatment with the use of DaVinci.
Therefore, the Ruhrland Clinic Essen is not only renowned for its outstanding international reputation, but primarily the patients of the Clinic benefit from the research and an ongoing improvement of the treatment.
- 1980 – 1982 Assistenzarzt der Klinik für Herz- und Gefäschirurgie am Deutsches Herzzentrum München
- 1983 – 1984 Assistenzarzt der Klinik für Allgemeinchirurgie am Kantonsspital Basel
- 1985 Assistenzarzt der Klinik für Allgemeinchirurgie am Universitätsklinikum Mainz
- 1985 – 1987 Assistenzarzt der Klink für Herz-, Thorax- und Gefäßchirurgie am Universitäts-klinikum Mainz
- 1987 – 1992 Oberarzt der Klink für Herz-, Thorax- und Gefäßchirurgie am Universitätsklinikum Mainz
- 1992 – 1999 Leitender Oberarzt der Klinik für Herzchirurgie am Universitätsklinikum Heidelberg
- 1999 – heute Universitätsprofessor und Direktor, Klinik für Thorax- und Kardiovaskuläre Chirurgie, Westdeutsches Herzzentrum Essen, Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
University Hospital Essen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home