University Hospital Essen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology (458753)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiology, neuroradiology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of modern services in these medical fields. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Michael Forsting.
The doctors of the department have advanced equipment for conducting accurate, minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, for example, fully digital systems of conventional radiography and digital mammography, four monopolar and two bipolar angiography devices, several computer tomographs (two 64-slice and one 16-slice tomograph, a 4-slice spiral tomograph), six 1.5 Tesla MRI systems and PET-CT, 7 Tesla MRI for total body irradiation, etc.
The department was the first to receive DIN EN ISO 9001: 2000 certificate (back in 2001), which is an obvious guarantee of high-quality medical care. It employs more than 150 highly qualified employees with rich clinical experience and high success rates, who work for the benefit of patients.
The service range of the department includes:
- Conventional X-ray studies (including special equipment for X-ray diagnosis in children)
- Contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT) scanning of all organs (including special examinations, such as CT angiography)
- Special examinations with the use of CT (for example, imaging of the cardiovascular system, cardiac CT, as well as CT-guided interventions – biopsy, drainage and removal of tumors)
- Fluoroscopy (studies of the gastrointestinal tract, kidney and urinary tract, spinal canal, blood vessels, including interventional studies and fluoroscopy in children)
- Angiography (it is mainly used to diagnose arterial diseases, for example, atherosclerosis, vasoconstriction or vascular lesions and malformations, as well as to diagnose vein diseases, for example, thrombosis, varicose veins)
- Contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Special methods of MRI studies (cardiac MRI, whole-body MRI, imaging of blood vessels, functional MRI, as well as MRI under anesthesia in infants, young children and patients requiring intensive care)
- Imaging diagnostics of oncological diseases (CT, whole-body MRI, PET-CT, PET-MRI and DSA, CT- and MRI-guided biopsy)
- Neuroradiology (the full range of studies of the brain and spinal cord, for example, myelography, diffusion tensor imaging, the use of neuronavigation systems, etc.)
- Interventional radiology and neuroradiology
- Minimally invasive procedures for the treatment of tumors (for example, selective internal radiation therapy for the treatment of liver tumors)
- Endovascular treatments for aneurysms with stents and balloons
- Modern methods of embolization for the treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Thrombolysis in patients with stroke
- Other services
- Pediatric radiology (focuses on magnetic resonance imaging and diagnosis of developmental disorders and pediatric tumors)
- Radiological studies for the detection of gynecologic diseases
- Stereotactic digital vacuum-assisted breast biopsy
- MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy
- Breast MRI
- Digital mammography
- Special studies with the use of tomosynthesis
- Contrast-enhanced mammography
- Other diagnostic methods
- Vertebroplasty (minimally invasive treatment of vertebral fractures)
- All ultrasound examinations
- Other medical services
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the Rhine-Westphalian Technical University Aachen and the University of Bern.
- Since February 2016, Medical Director of the Central Information Technology Unit of the University Hospital Essen.
- Since May 2008, Chief Physician of the Department of Radiology at the St. Mary's Hospital in Mülheim, Ruhr Area.
- Since July 2004, Work at the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2002, Chief Physician of the Department of Radiology at the Elizabeth Clinic in Essen.
- Since July 1, 1997 Appointed as a Professor of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since May 1996, Leading Senior Physician of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1993 Habilitation and Venia Legendi.
- Since 1993, Senior Physician of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1987 - 1993 Fellow at the University Hospital Aachen and at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1986 - 1987 Fellow of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Bern.
- Kurt Decker Prize of the German Society of Neuroradiology.
- Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen Prize of the German Society of Radiology.
- Scientific Prize of the European Society of Neuroradiology.
- Research Award in the field of Contrast Agent Research of the German Society of Radiology.
- Felix Wachsmann Award from the German Society of Radiology for Outstanding Achievements in Postgraduate Education.
Work in Professional Societies and Organizations
- Since 2014, Honorary Member of the Chinese Society of Radiology.
- 2013 - 2015 Vice President of the German Society of Radiology.
- Since 2012, Vice Dean responsible for the research activities of young specialists of the Faculty of Medicine at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2012, Honorary Member of the Korean Society of Radiology.
- Since 2012, Member of the German Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
- 2011 - 2013 President of the German Society of Radiology.
- 2009 - 2012 Member of the Presidium of the Faculty of Medicine (full-time education).
- 2008 - 2012 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University Hospital Essen.
- 2008 - 2011 Chairman of the Apparatus Committee of the German Research Foundation.
- January - September 2008 Acting Deputy Chairman of the Senate of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
- 2006 - 2008 Senate Member of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Since 2003, Elected Board Member of the German Society of Radiology.
- 2000 - 2004 Elected Board Member of the Faculty of Medicine.
- 2002 - 2011 Appointed as a Member of the Apparatus Committee of the German Research Foundation.
- Since 1997, Elected as a Board Member of the the German Society of Neuroradiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Essen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology.
University Hospital Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.