Diagnosis and conservative treatment of atopic dermatitis (program ID: 290234)
University Hospital Essen
Dirk SchadendorfSpecialized in: dermatology
Department of Dermatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- immune status (IgE)
- differential diagnosis of other diseases of the skin
- skin scratch/prick tests
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Essen offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of skin, sexually transmitted diseases, and allergic reactions. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Schadendorf.
The key clinical focus is the therapy of benign and malignant skin tumors. Particular attention is also paid to cosmetic dermatology, for example, keloid scar revision, removal of pigment spots, spider veins, etc. The department treats about 2,700 inpatients and 49,500 outpatients every year. Thus, the department ranks among the largest and leading German medical facilities of this kind.
A competent medical team of 24 doctors and 33 nurses takes care of the patients’ health. All the employees aim to provide each patient with a comprehensive diagnostics and treatment based on an interdisciplinary approach and the very latest achievements of modern medicine. The department is equipped with progressive laser and phototherapeutic devices, which allow to carry out the effective and sparing treatment of many skin lesions.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant skin neoplasms (certification of the German Cancer Society)
- Surgical treatment
- Microscopy-guided micrographic interventions
- Laser therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of psoriasis
- Diagnostics of psoriasis affecting skin and joints
- Consultations on the specificities of the pathology, its course and treatment options
- Diagnostics of concomitant diseases due to psoriasis
- Selection of an individual therapy and its correction
- Use of new therapy types in specific indications (biological drugs)
- Light therapy (only on an inpatient basis)
- Interdisciplinary medical care
- Diagnostics and treatment of venous diseases (phlebology) within the specialized center certified by the German Society of Phlebology
- Diagnostics and treatment of complex, chronic wounds (special focus on the treatment of chronic leg ulcers) within the certified center
- Diagnostics and treatment of cutaneous manifestations of HIV, AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases (for example, human papillomavirus, herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic skin reactions
- Medical care in graft versus host disease
- Cosmetic dermatology (for example, correction of keloids, removal of age spots, flaming nevus)
- Emergency medical care
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Human Medicine, University of Hamburg.
- 11.1986 3rd State Examination and admission to medical practice.
- 08.1985 2nd State Examination.
- 03.1984 1st State Examination.
- 08.1982 Preliminary Medical Examination.
- 01.1887 - 02.1889 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Oncological Immunology, New York, USA, Post-Doctoral Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- 03.1889 - 11.1889 Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin (Group of Prof. Dr. med. K. Mölling), Scholarship of the Max Planck Foundation, Research Fellow.
- 11.1989 - 11.1995 Department of Dermatology, Virchow Hospital, Free University of Berlin (Head, Prof. Dr. med. B. Czarnetzki).
- 1990 -1997 Project Manager of the Laboratories for Genetic Engineering in the Department of Dermatology (S2).
- 10.1993 - 11.1995 (C1) Research Fellow, Inpatient and Outpatient Senior Physician, Senior Physician in Phlebology, Independent Leadership of the Working Group with more than 10 employees, financial support of research activities.
- 11.1989 - 09.1993 Research Fellow, Training of Medical Specialists and the creation of a special working group.
- 02.1994 Board certification in Dermatology and Venereology.
- Since 03.1995 Additional qualifications in Allergology, Quality Management in Healthcare, Drug Therapy of Oncological Diseases and Palliative Care.
- 05.1995 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Dermatology and Venereology.
- 12.1995 - 03.1997 Heisenberg Foundation Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- 04.1997 - 06.2008 Department for the Provision of Clinical Cooperation in Dermatology, Department of the German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Head of Department (Lifelong C3 Professor).
- Management of the Section of Dermatological Oncology at the DKFZ and the Department of Dermatology at the University Hospitals Mannheim and Heidelberg.
- Establishment and organization of the Research Center and the Department of Clinical Dermato-Oncology with the option of long-term monitoring of patients, special dermato-oncological consultations and patient training, as well as extended (outpatient) diagnostics.
- Development of preclinical models and performance of phase I/II clinical trials as the experimental approaches to the treatment of melanoma.
- Permission to the training in the field of ultrasound examination of the skin, lymph nodes and peripheral vessels.
- Since 07.2008 Head of the Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Essen.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment of atopic dermatitis
- Hospital: University Hospital Essen
- access_time Duration:
There are 40 atopic dermatitis (eczema) treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics