Hospital Gummersbach Oberberg
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (284607)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital Gummersbach Oberberg provides the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for young patients. The department's specialists provide medical care to children of all age groups. The department has 35 beds for inpatient treatment. The key attention is paid to the treatment of acute diseases (for example, gastrointestinal infections, asthma, pneumonia), pathologies of the central nervous system, allergic reactions, endocrine diseases, including diabetes mellitus and thyroid pathologies, as well as intensive care for premature babies and newborns. The department is headed by Dr. med. Roland Adelmann.
The specialists in general pediatrics provide the diagnostics and treatment of various pathologies, ranging from bronchitis, asthma attacks, bone fractures, appendicitis to polyps and tonsillitis. As a rule, young children are accommodated in a room with one of their parents. In the case of infectious diseases, partial isolation is required.
The department includes an Intensive Care Unit for newborns, which is located in close proximity to the delivery rooms. Thus, the emergency care can be quickly provided in critical cases. The department has 15 beds and a room for mother and child. The specialists of the Intensive Care Unit carry out many tests for newborns, including examination to exclude congenital heart defects, ultrasound scanning to exclude hip dysplasia and kidney pathologies, hearing screening, advanced biochemical tests to exclude metabolic disorders, etc. About 350 premature and newborn babies with congenital pathologies are treated in the Intensive Care Unit annually. The employees of the unit cooperate closely with Level I Perinatal Centers of such cities as Leverkusen, Cologne, Bonn, Siegen. Particular attention is paid to care for premature babies, which were born before the 32nd week of pregnancy.
An important field of clinical practice is pediatric cardiology. The department carries out all the necessary diagnostic examinations to exclude or confirm congenital heart defects, including ECG, echocardiography, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, etc. As a rule, an outpatient appointment is sufficient for the examination, without hospitalization.
The range of medical services is complemented by the provision of medical care to young patients with all types of acute and chronic neurological diseases (children from 0 to 18 years old). The specialists in pediatric neurology mostly have to deal with such diagnoses as chronic headaches, epilepsy, motor disorders and paralysis, neuromuscular diseases, etc.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of general diseases (for example, bronchitis, asthma attacks, bone fractures, appendicitis)
- Care for premature and newborn babies within the specialized Intensive Care Unit
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases (special focus on type I and type II diabetes mellitus, growth disorders, thyroid disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiac diseases (special focus on congenital and acquired heart diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic respiratory diseases (bronchial asthma, severe or chronic lung infections)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic diseases (for example, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, atopic dermatitis, urticaria, food allergies)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents
- Since October 1990 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Cologne.
- April 1994 First State Examination.
- April 1996 Second State Examination.
- April 1996 – April 1997 One-year practice in Pediatrics at the University Hospital Cologne.
- April 1997 Third State Examination.
- 1999 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne. Subject: "Spiral computed tomography and high resolution computed tomography in patients with cystic fibrosis."
- 1997 - 1999 Internship in Pediatrics, Hospital Gummersbach Oberberg.
- 1999 - 2002 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital Gummersbach Oberberg.
- 2002 - 2003 Assistant Physician, Dr. Remmel's Private Pediatric Practice, Gummersbach.
- 2003 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Duesseldorf.
- 2004 - 2007 Permission to open Private Medical Practice (Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine) in Gummersbach.
- 2007 - 2008 Additional specialization in Neonatology, Research Fellow in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Oberberg GmbH
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Hospital Gummersbach Oberberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.