Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Angiology (583884)
Specialized in: general and interventional cardiology, angiology
About the department
The Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Angiology at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen offers the full range of services in these medical fields. It is the world's leading department in the diagnostics and treatment of coronary heart disease, valvular heart diseases, heart failure, cardiomyopathy and inflammatory heart diseases. The department's specialists have excellent options to provide the most sparing treatment, six cardiac catheterization laboratories with a minimum level of X-ray irradiation, which serve to perform all cardiac catheterization procedures, as well as an ultramodern hybrid operating room. The department carries out more than 5,000 catheter procedures annually. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Volker Rudolph.
The department has a special competence in the sparing treatment of complex cardiac pathologies. It provides the effective treatment of heart valve diseases and their replacement without invasive open surgeries. The diabetes patients are mostly susceptible to the cardiovascular diseases, therefore it is especially important for the department's doctors to ensure the optimal treatment. The operations for diabetes patients are always performed at the optimal blood glucose levels and with the use of supporting drugs. In order to provide the most comprehensive treatment of patients with diabetes mellitus and concomitant cardiac diseases, there is maintained close cooperation with the Department of Diabetology and other departments and institutes of the center.
The department's specialists believe that the most accurate diagnostics is the key to successful treatment outcome. Thereby, in addition to the classical methods of cardiac diagnostics, the department also applies modern non-invasive methods for obtaining images, in particular, 3D echocardiography. Moreover, the department operates one of the largest Sleep Laboratories in Germany. It provides the diagnostics of sleep-related breathing disorders, which can adversely affect the heart function (central sleep apnea).
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Arterial hypertension
- Congenital heart defects in adults
- Cardiovascular diseases in patients with diabetes mellitus
- Disorders of the central and peripheral blood circulation
- Inflammatory heart diseases
- Blood-clotting disorders
- Heart failure
- Heart muscle (myocardial) diseases
- Valvular heart diseases
- Carotid stenosis
- Coronary heart disease
- Genetic heart disorders
- Lipid metabolism disorders
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Diagnostic spectrum
- Resting, stress and long-term ECG
- Diagnostics using an event recorder
- Long-term blood pressure measurement
- Orthostatic test
- Control of neurostimulators, pacemakers and defibrillators
- Ultrasound heart diagnostics (echocardiography)
- Doppler and duplex scanning
- Arterial stiffness measurement
- Blood pressure measurement in the lower and upper limbs (ankle-brachial index)
- Pulmonary function tests (including ergospirometry)
- Laboratory blood tests
- Sleep diagnostics (specialized Sleep Laboratory)
- Right and left heart catheterization
- Myocardial biopsy
- Electrophysiological tests
- X-ray diagnostics
- Myocardial and lung scintigraphy
- Cardiac computed tomography
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Positron emission tomography (in collaboration with the Institute of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging)
- Therapeutic spectrum
- Balloon dilatation / stent implantation
- Implantation of pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Restoration of patency of the heart blood vessels in the case of their occlusion
- Laser atherectomy
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation
- Mitral valve reconstruction using catheter techniques (MitraClip®)
- Catheter ablation to treat arrhythmias
- Percutaneous ablation of the interventricular septum in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Balloon valvotomy
- Interventional treatment of congenital heart defects in adults
- Neuromodulation for angina pectoris
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty in carotid stenosis
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of peripheral vessels
- Lipid apheresis
- Other diagnostic and treatment methods
- 1996 - 2003 Study of Human Medicine at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena.
- 12.2003 Admission to medical practice.
- 1999 - 2003 PhD thesis defense with honors, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University Jena (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Th. Wahlers). Subject: "The evaluation of hemodynamic properties of aortic valve prostheses and comparison of the echocardiography and invasive pressure measurement in aortic valve prosthesis evaluation".
- 07.2007 - 06.2009 Postdoctoral Fellow of the German Heart Foundation, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, PhD Bruce Freeman, Pittsburgh, USA.
- 03.2011 Doctoral thesis defense and Venia Legendi. Subject: "Myeloperoxidase as a modulator of anti-inflammatory cascades in the cardiovascular system", Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, University Heart Center Hamburg, Prof. Dr. med. S. Blankenberg, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- Since 01.2012 Head of the Working Group "Inflammation and Myocardium", Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne.
- Since 06.2013. Head of the Working Group, Cologne Cardiovascular Research Centre.
- 09.2015 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Cologne.
- Since 08.2018 Head of the Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Angiology at the Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen, University Hospitals of the Ruhr University of Bochum.
- 01.2004 - 12.2011 Assistant Physician, Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, University Heart Center Hamburg, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 09.2011 Theoretical foundations of the specialty, Radiation Protection in Diagnostics.
- 12.2011 Board certification in Internal Medicine and Cardiology, Hamburg Medical Association.
- 12.2011 - 09.2012 Senior Physician (Ordinary Station and Chest Pain Unit), Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, University Heart Center Hamburg, Prof. Dr. med. S. Blankenberg, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 10.2012 - 12.2013 Senior Physician (Department of Emergency Cardiology), Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne, Prof. Dr. med. S. Baldus.
- Since 01.2014 Program Leader in Structural Heart Disease / Interventional Therapy of Heart Valve Pathologies; Head of the Laboratory of Echocardiography, Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne, Prof. Dr. med. S. Baldus.
- 01.2014 - 10.2016 Head of the Laboratory of Echocardiography, Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne, Prof. Dr. med. S. Baldus.
- Since 01.2014 Deputy Head of the Department and Leading Senior Physician, Senior Staff Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne, Professor, Prof. Dr. med. S. Baldus.
- 11.2014 Additional qualification in Interventional Cardiology, German Society of Cardiology.
- 05.2015 Deputy Head of the Commission for Additional Qualifications in Interventional Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine III, Heart Center at the University Hospital Cologne, Prof. Dr. med. S. Baldus.
- 11.2015 Reviewer for certification in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI).
- 12.2015 Permission for board certification of doctors in Internal Medicine and Cardiology, Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- 01.2016 Theoretical basics of the specialty, interventional procedures on the heart vessels.
- 11.2016 Deputy Representative of the Working Group on Mitral Valve Interventional Therapy within the Working Group on Interventional Cardiology, German Society of Cardiology.
- 11.2016 Additional training in Internal Intensive Care, Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Herz- und Diabeteszentrum NRW, Bad Oeynhausen
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Angiology.
Heart and Diabetes Center NRW Bad Oeynhausen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.