Hospital Waldbrol Oberberg
Department of Cardiology (286095)
Specialized in: cardiology
About the Department of Cardiology at Hospital Waldbrol Oberberg
The Department of Cardiology at the Hospital Waldbrol Oberberg offers all the options of modern diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The department operates an advanced Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which annually performs more than 3,000 cardiological examinations. This laboratory is one of this kind in the Oberbergischer district. The department is famous for its successful experience in arrhythmia treatment by implanting pacemakers and defibrillators. In addition, since 1997, the department's patients have been offered outpatient cardiological rehabilitation, which is an essential component of an excellent long-term treatment result. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Michael Petzsch.
The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory is responsible for the interventions to diagnose and treat coronary artery diseases, which increasingly affect young people. The imaging of coronary arteries using coronarography is the most effective method for the assessment of the degree of coronary artery stenosis. The department has an ultramodern cardiac catheterization system, which uses special detectors instead of traditional X-ray amplifiers. The electronic imaging of the beating heart provides the most accurate image of blood vessels of all diameters, up to small arterioles. This makes it possible to simultaneously carry out a diagnostic intervention and follow-up treatment (balloon dilatation or stent implantation).
Both balloon dilatation and stent implantation are performed under local anesthesia and are highly effective. The use of modern stents made of improved materials and drug-coated stents significantly reduces the risk of developing recurrent stenosis. The department's cardiologists use the very latest systems for ensuring vascular access (for example, AngioSeal), and therefore the period of bed rest after the intervention is significantly reduced, namely the patient can already stand on his feet in 2-4 hours after the operation.
It is worth noting that balloon dilatation and stent implantation are also effective in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction. The patients with this diagnosis are admitted to the department around the clock. After emergency treatment, the patient is moved to the Intensive Care Unit, under the constant supervision of the medical personnel.
The department's specialists also have excellent qualifications in the treatment of heart arrhythmias. The diagnostics of heart rhythm disorders is mainly carried out using ECG, including 24-hour ECG monitoring. The department annually performs more than 200 pacemaker implantation procedures. Heart failure treatment involves the use of biventricular pacemakers with three electrodes (including an electrode for resynchronization). The department also implants defibrillators to urgently treat heart arrhythmias.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Outpatient services
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Pacemaker monitoring (VVI, DDD pacemakers)
- Biventricular pacemaker monitoring
- Defibrillator monitoring
- Coronary angiography
- Inpatient services
- 24-hour ECG monitoring
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Coronarography (with access through the femoral artery, brachial artery, radial artery)
- Balloon dilatation and stent implantation for coronary artery stenosis (including the implantation of drug-coated stents)
- Intracoronary ultrasonography
- Interventional procedures for atrial septal defect closure
- Interventional procedures for patent foramen ovale closure
- Determination of the Wenckebach point
- Pacemaker implantation (VVI, DDD pacemakers)
- Biventricular pacemaker implantation (system for cardiac resynchronization therapy)
- Defibrillator implantation
- Event recorder implantation
- External electrical cardioversion
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Michael Petzsch
Education and Professional Career
- Study of Medicine at the University of Muenster.
- 1984 Started working at the University Hospital Muenster and continued Internship at the Marienhaus Hospital Schwerte.
- 1990 Specialization in Internal Medicine.
- 1990 - 1994 Work at the Heart and Diabetes Center, North Rhine-Westphalia, Bad Oeynhausen.
- 1993 Specialization in Cardiology.
- 1994 - 2007 Work in the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Rostock, as well as habilitation in Internal Medicine and long work as Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Cardiology at the same hospital.
- Since 1 March 2007 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology at the Hospital Waldbrol Oberberg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Cardiac Society.
- European Society of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Oberberg GmbH
Department of Cardiology.
Hospital Waldbrol Oberberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.