University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Vascular Surgery (109395)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the Department of Vascular Surgery at University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostic services and surgical interventions for patients with diseases of the arteries, veins, and lymphatic vessels. The department's doctors have excellent skills and deep knowledge in the field of vascular surgery, ranging from complex interventions on the aorta to advanced endovascular methods for treating varicose veins using ultrasound. In close cooperation with the specialists from the Center for Vascular Diseases, the department's doctors provide an individual and interdisciplinary therapy for patients with severe vascular and concomitant diseases. The department has prestigious quality certificates from the German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG) and a certificate from the Institute for Quality and Patient Safety (BQS). The health of patients is in the safe hands of highly qualified specialists, for whom it is important that a patient receives the most sparing and effective treatment in a pleasant atmosphere. The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Nikolaos Tsilimparis.
The department's doctors always devote enough time to examining a patient to make an accurate diagnosis, which largely determines the success of the upcoming treatment. The medical facility has well-equipped diagnostic rooms with the possibility of performing B-mode sonography, Doppler ultrasonography, duplex sonography, oscillography, photoplethysmography, digital subtraction angiography and many other tests.
One of the primary focuses of the department's clinical practice is carotid artery stenosis treatment. As a rule, the pathology is detected incidentally during the diagnostic examination for other complaints, since carotid stenosis does not cause any symptoms at its early stages. However, the pathology is quite dangerous, as it often provokes the development of a stroke, which in turn may cause partial or complete paralysis, impaired speech, memory, or even death. The main and most effective method of eliminating carotid artery stenosis is stent implantation. The essence of the technique is to implant a stent (a special metal frame) in the lumen of the narrowed section of the artery. Doctors can also perform an endarterectomy, an operation to remove atherosclerotic plaques from the carotid artery. A physician chooses the optimal type of surgical intervention based on a patient's particular clinical case.
The department's surgeons often treat aortic aneurysms, which are characterized by the dilation of a certain part of the aorta due to stretching or thinning of its walls. A patient is usually unaware of the presence of this disease, since it causes practically no symptoms. When the aneurysm reaches a large size, the risk of its tear increases significantly, and if the patient does not receive any qualified emergency care, in many cases, a fatal outcome occurs. The department's team of doctors offers both minimally invasive interventions and open surgery. Stent implantation is preferred whenever possible. In particularly complex clinical cases, vascular surgeons perform an open operation (interventions for thoracic aortic aneurysms are performed in cooperation with cardiac surgeons).
The department's specialists also successfully perform the surgical treatment of varicose veins. The desired result can often be achieved using conservative methods (drug therapy, the use of ointments and gels, or compression therapy) and minimally invasive interventions (endovenous laser coagulation, foam sclerotherapy, radiofrequency, and laser obliteration). Advanced stages of the disease require more serious treatment, namely surgery. The team of surgeons at the medical facility successfully performs a phlebectomy, during which varicose veins are removed. Flap plastic surgery may be performed after the operation to achieve a good aesthetic result, if required.
The department's diagnostic options include:
- Diagnostics of arterial diseases
- B-mode sonography
- Duplex sonography
- Color duplex sonography
- Percutaneous microcirculation assessment
- Diagnostics of venous diseases
- Arterial oscillography
- Light reflection rheography
- Intraoperative diagnostics
- Blood flow velocity Doppler measurement
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring with a continuous recording of sensorimotor evoked potentials
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring using transcranial dopplerography
- Other diagnostic examinations
The department's surgical services include the following options:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of aortic aneurysm
- Minimally invasive interventions with stent implantation
- Open interventions on the thoracic aorta (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiac Surgery)
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease
- Balloon dilatation (including for the smallest blood vessels)
- Operations (for example, elimination of calcification and bypass surgery) on the blood vessels with implanted port systems
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of carotid stenosis
- Preventive drug therapy
- Stent implantation
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of varicose veins
- Stripping (removal of large varicose veins)
- Minimally invasive techniques (for example, sclerotherapy)
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Laser ablation
- Dialysis access formation
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Nikolaos Tsilimparis
- Since 01.05.2015 Deputy Director of the German Aortic Center Hamburg and Senior Physician in the Department of Vascular Medicine at the University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 02.2015 Board certification in Vascular Surgery, Medical Association of Hamburg.
- 09.2014 Member of the European Board for Vascular Surgery (FEBVS).
- 01.02.2013 - 30.04.2015 Acting Head of the Department with Additional Responsibilities, Department of Vascular Medicine, University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 12.2014 Theoretical basis of the specialty in Radiation Protection.
- 15.07.2012 - 31.01.2013 Research Fellow, board certification in Surgery, Department of General, Abdominal, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Mitte.
- 08.08.2011 - 15.07.2012 Research Fellow in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 04.2007 - 08.2011 Research Fellow, Department of General, Abdominal, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Mitte.
- 03.2011 Board certification in Surgery, Berlin Medical Association.
- 04.2005 - 03.2007 Employee of the Department of Surgery at the Francis Clinic ( Hospital of the Charite University Hospital Berlin).
- 30.09.2014 Habilitation in Vascular Surgery, University of Hamburg. Subject: "Complex endovascular aortic surgery. Patient, anatomy and technique".
- 20.11.2009 Thesis defense with honors.
- 08.2011 - 07.2012 Postdoctoral studies (study of fenestrated and branched endografts for the treatment of aortic diseases), Faculty of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 1998 - 2004 Human Medicine studies at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece) and at the Charite. Admission to medical practice.
- 1997 - 1998 Biology studies at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 13.10.2014 - 23.10.2014 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, University of California, San Francisco.
- 23.10.2014 - 01.11.2014 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- 06.12.2010 - 10.12.2010 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 23.11.2009 - 04.12.2009 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- 08.2004 - 09.2004 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Spain.
- 07.2001 - 08.2001 Internship in Cairo, Egypt, Department of Emergency Medical Care at Ain Shams Hospital (IFMSA Exchange Program).
Prizes and Scholarships
- 2007 Poster Award of the German Society for Vascular Surgery.
- 2011 Poster Award at the Veith Symposium in New York.
- 2012 Foreign Scholarship of the Ernst Jeger Society.
- 2012 Award "Sessions on difficult cases" of the Congress of the European Society for Vascular Surgery in Bologna.
- 2013 Video Awards Session of the Congress of the European Society for Vascular Surgery in Budapest.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery (DGC).
- German Society for Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- American College of Surgeons.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
- Society for Vascular Surgery.
- North German Society of Surgeons.
- Ernst Jeger Society.
- Journal of Endovascular Therapy.
- Annals of Vascular Surgery.
- Langenbecks Archives of Surgery.
- American Journal of Kidney Diseases.
- Gefäßmedizin Scan.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.