University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Vascular Surgery (109395)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases. The doctors of the department have excellent skills and deep knowledge in vascular surgery, ranging from complex interventions on the aorta and ending with modern (minimally invasive) techniques for the treatment of varicose veins using ultrasound. Also, in close collaboration with the specialists of the Center for Vascular Diseases, individual interdisciplinary therapy is provided for the patients with complex vascular and concomitant diseases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Nikolaos Tsilimparis.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Diagnostics of arterial diseases
- B-mode sonography
- Duplex sonography
- Color duplex sonography
- Percutaneous microcirculation assessment
- Diagnostics of venous diseases
- Segment oscillography
- Light reflection rheography
- Intraoperative monitoring / diagnostics
- Doppler measurement of blood flow velocity
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring by permanent abduction of sensorimotor evoked potentials
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring using transcranial doppler sonography
- Other diagnostic examinations
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of aortic aneurysm
- Minimally invasive interventions with stenting
- Open interventions on the thoracic aorta (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiac Surgery)
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of peripheral arterial occlusive disease
- Balloon dilatation (including the smallest vessels)
- Extensive operations (for example, elimination of calcification, bypass surgery) on the vessels with implanted port systems
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of carotid stenosis
- Preventive drug treatment
- Stent implantation
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of varicose veins
- Stripping (removal of large varicose veins)
- Minimally invasive techniques (for example, vein sclerotherapy)
- Radiofrequency ablation (VNUS)
- Laser ablation
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome
- Dialysis access provision
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Сareer
- Since 01.05.2015 Deputy Director of the German Aortic Center Hamburg and Senior Physician in the Department of Vascular Medicine at the University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 02.2015 Board certification in Vascular Surgery, Medical Association of Hamburg.
- 09.2014 Member of the European Board for Vascular Surgery (FEBVS).
- 01.02.2013 - 30.04.2015 Acting Head of the Department with Additional Responsibilities, Department of Vascular Medicine, University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 12.2014 Theoretical basis of the specialty in Radiation Protection.
- 15.07.2012 - 31.01.2013 Research Fellow, board certification in Surgery, Department of General, Abdominal, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Mitte.
- 08.08.2011 - 15.07.2012 Research Fellow in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 04.2007 - 08.2011 Research Fellow, Department of General, Abdominal, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Mitte.
- 03.2011 Board certification in Surgery, Berlin Medical Association.
- 04.2005 - 03.2007 Employee of the Department of Surgery at the Francis Clinic (Academic Clinic of the Charite University Hospital Berlin).
- 30.09.2014 Habilitation in Vascular Surgery, University of Hamburg. Subject: "Complex endovascular aortic surgery. Patient, anatomy and technique".
- 20.11.2009 Doctoral thesis defense with honors.
- 08.2011 - 07.2012 Postdoctoral studies (study of fenestrated and branched endografts for the treatment of aortic diseases), Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 1998 - 2004 Study of Human Medicine at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece) and in Charite. Admission to medical practice.
- 1997 - 1998 Study of Biology at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 13.10.2014 - 23.10.2014 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, University of California, San Francisco.
- 23.10.2014 - 01.11.2014 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- 06.12.2010 - 10.12.2010 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 23.11.2009 - 04.12.2009 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- 08.2004 - 09.2004 Internship in the Department of Vascular Surgery, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Barcelona, Spain.
- 07.2001 - 08.2001 Internship in Cairo, Egypt, Department of Emergency Medical Care at Ain Shams Hospital (IFMSA Exchange Program).
Prizes and Scholarships
- 2007 Poster Award of the German Society for Vascular Surgery.
- 2011 Poster Award at the Veith Symposium in New York.
- 2012 Foreign Scholarship of the Ernst Jeger Society.
- 2012 Award "Sessions on difficult cases" of the Congress of the European Society for Vascular Surgery in Bologna.
- 2013 Video Awards Session of the Congress of the European Society for Vascular Surgery in Budapest.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- German Society for Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- American College of Surgeons.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
- Society for Vascular Surgery.
- North German Society of Surgeons.
- Ernst Jeger Society.
- Journal of Endovascular Therapy.
- Annals of Vascular Surgery.
- Langenbecks Archives of Surgery.
- American Journal of Kidney Diseases.
- Gefäßmedizin Scan.
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.