University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Pediatric Surgery (109401)
Dietrich von Schweinitz
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the Department of Pediatric Surgery at University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of various diseases in children and adolescents. A large competent team of doctors with long clinical experience in the area of their specialization takes care of the health of young patients. All modern surgical techniques and advanced computerized medical equipment are available in the department. In addition, professional psychological support is provided to both children and their parents. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dietrich von Schweinitz.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Emergency medical care
- Surgical treatment of malignant diseases in children (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Oncology)
- Wilms' tumor
- Germ cell tumors
- Liver tumors
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Pediatric abdominal surgery
- Lung diseases
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Liver diseases
- Spleen diseases
- Pancreatic diseases
- Surgical treatment of injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Surgical treatment of children with traumatic brain injuries (including severe injuries)
- Surgical treatment of kidney diseases in children (for example, a duplex kidney)
- Surgical treatment of congenital diaphragmatic hernias
- Surgical treatment of congenital and acquired diseases, malformations of the urogenital tract
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Ureteral stenosis
- Exstrophy-epispadias complex
- Pediatric plastic surgery
- Hemangioma treatment
- Treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Treatment of lymphangiomas
- Correction of congenital facial defects
- Correction of congenital defects in the arms and legs
- Removal of pigmented nevi
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Scar revision after burns
- Craniospinal surgery
- Treatment of spinal malformations
- Treatment of cerebral malformations
- Skull shape correction
- Conservative and surgical treatment of bone fractures
- Psychological support for children and parents
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dietrich von Schweinitz
Before moving to Munich, Dr. Dietrich von Schweinitz had been holding the position of the Chief Physician in the Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Basel for four years, and also had headed the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University of Basel. Prof. Schweinitz received his medical education at the University of Hamburg, where in 1981 he defended his doctoral thesis. After his work as an Assistant Physician at the hospitals of Regensburg, Reutlingen and Hannover, he received the title of a Medical Specialist in General and Pediatric Surgery. In 1995, Dr. Dietrich von Schweinitz was habilitated (paper on hepatoblastoma, which is a rare tumor in childhood). After seven years of practice as a Senior Physician at the Hanover Medical School in 1999 the doctor was offered the position in Basel. Since June 1, 2003, Prof. Dietrich von Schweinitz was appointed the Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Scientific Committee Member of the International Society of Pediatric Oncology.
- Bavarian Academy of Sciences.
- Center for Ethics at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1995 Richard Drachter Prize of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
- 2002 Dora Zeif Prize for Research in Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Basel.
Main Research Focuses
- Pediatric oncology.
- Pediatric hematology
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.