University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology (113759)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology, allergology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology at the University Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in these medical fields. The Department specializes in the treatment of all skin diseases, allergic reactions and venereal pathologies. The quality medical care is provided by a highly professional team of 50 specialized doctors and 300 nurses, as well as medical and technical workers. About 90,000 outpatients and more than 5,800 inpatients are treated here annually. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med Lars French.
The 8-storey building for inpatient treatment is a historical monument (its construction was completed in 1929). This is the first high-rise hospital building in Germany, which served as a model for the architecture of medical buildings in the subsequent years.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Acne and rosacea
- Autoimmune diseases (scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus)
- Occupational skin diseases (eczema, basal cell carcinoma)
- Bullous diseases (pemphigus, bullous pemphigoid)
- Eczematous diseases (atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis)
- Genodermatoses (rare congenital skin diseases, often related to other illnesses)
- Anal and rectal diseases (proctology)
- Allergic reactions
- Anaphylactic shock (anaphylaxis)
- Drug allergy
- Insect venom allergy
- Food allergy
- Allergic respiratory diseases (hay fever, chronic allergic rhinoconjunctivitis or bronchial asthma) due to pollen allergy, domestic animals, house dust mites
- Professional dermatosis
- Hair diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases (for example, HIV, syphilis)
- Benign and malignant skin diseases, precancerous skin conditions
- Chronic wounds
- Skin diseases in children
- Warts and molluscum contagiosum
- Birthmarks and nevi
- Fungal diseases
- Venous diseases
- Other diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Non-invasive imaging diagnostics
- Allergy tests
- Digital dermatoscopy
- Electron microscopy
- Histological examinations using the full range of immunohistochemical and cytogenetic methods
- Mycological and bacteriological examinations (within the framework of the specialized laboratories)
- Ultrasound examinations
- Surgical treatment
- Resection of skin tumors
- Defect closure and skin reconstruction with the help of microsurgical plastic surgery involving local and free flaps
- Microscopic (micrographic) surgery in basal cell carcinoma (especially in the facial area)
- Lymph node removal (for example, lymph node dissection in malignant melanoma)
- Electrochemotherapy in metastatic melanoma or other superficial metastatic tumors
- Surgery to treat varicose veins
- Nail plate plastic surgery
- Lymph node transplantation
- Implantation of expanders for skin stretching
- Artificial skin transplantation
- Aesthetic dermatology
- Skin lifting surgeries, for example, after pregnancy, weight loss
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Face lift
- Correction of the nose, auricle and chin deformities
- Lip reshaping
- Hair transplantation
- Hyperhidrosis treatment
- Scar revision
- Wrinkle treatment
- Treatment of complications and consequences after the use of fillers
- Different types of peels
- Removal of spider veins
- Cellulite treatment
- Cryotherapy (for example, to remove tumors, warts)
- Laser treatment methods
- Photodiagnostics and phototherapy (for example, various types of PUVA therapy)
- Photodynamic therapy and fluorescence diagnostics
- Other medical services
Academic and Professional Career
- Since 2018, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2006 - 2018 Head of the Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2003 - 2006 Extraordinary Professor, Dermatology, University Hospital Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2003 - 2006 Professorship in Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Clinical and Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA.
- 1998 Privat-Docent, University of Geneva.
- 1993 - 1997 Resident and Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1993 Doctoral thesis defense (Dr. med.), University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1990 - 1993 Research Fellow, Cellular and Molecular Biology, University Hospital Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1988 Diploma in Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva. Medical Specialist in Dermatology, PD, University of Geneva.
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Committees
- Since 2010, Vice President of the Swiss Society of Dermatology and Venereology (SGDV).
- Since 2008, Board Member, European Dermatology Forum (EDF).
- 2004 - 2005 President of the European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR).
- 1997 - 2005 Board Member of the European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR).
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2012 Otto Naegeli Prize.
- 2011 Thirty-sixth Annual Lecture by M.H. Samitz on Dermatology.
- Leo von Zumbusch Memorial Lectureю
- Since 2008б Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2003 Louis-Jeantet Award in Medicine.
- 2000 Pfizer Prize for clinical trials in Immunology and Rheumatology.
- 1999 Leenaards Foundation Award for the Encouragement of Scientific Research..
- 1998 Prix Claude Perrier Fondation Prize for researches in Pharmacology.
- 1997 - 2002 "SCORE A" Award for the development of a professional career, Swiss Clinicians Opting for Research / Swiss National Science Foundation.
- 1995 Roche Prize for Dermatological Research.
Main Research Focuses
- Role of the immune system in the development of toxic epidermal necrolysis and skin cancer.
- Apoptosis and drug effects.
- Causes and mechanisms of skin cancer development.
- Treatment methods in skin diseases.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.