University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Pulmonology (113769)
Specialized in: pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lungs, bronchi and upper respiratory tract. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med.Juergen Behr.
The department has state-of-the-art technical equipment, intensive care units and an advanced Sleep Laboratory. Of particular interest is the treatment of lung cancer, which is carried out in close cooperation with the specialists from related disciplines: radiation therapy, oncology, radiology and others. In addition, the department is engaged in active research activities aimed at the development of new therapeutic methods. If desired, patients can take part in clinical trials of the very latest drugs.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of oncological diseases of the thoracic organs
- Lung cancer
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Malignant mediastinal tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis
- Patient care before and after lung transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Functional diagnosis of lung diseases
- Pulmonary function testing
- Whole body plethysmography
- Bronchial provocation test (pharmaceutical)
- Arterial and capillary blood gas testing at rest and during exercise (bicycle ergometry)
- Allergic tests
- Skin prick tests
- Local allergen-specific provocation of the mucous membrane of the nose and bronchi
- Antigen-specific IgG antibody testing
- FeNO test (exhaled nitric oxide test)
- Sleep Laboratory
- Obstructive sleep apnoea screening
- Bronchoscopy (including interventional procedures, for example, dilatation and stenting of the bronchi, endoscopic lung volume reduction)
- Comprehensive catheter diagnostics of the right heart
- Pulmonary function testing
- Intensive care
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders
- Participation in clinical trials
- Other medical services
Education and Scientific Activities
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (scholarship of the Bavarian Foundation for the Support of Gifted Young People).
- 13.11.1985 Admission to medical practice
- 30.04.1987 Doctoral dissertation defense with honors, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 19.06.1996 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 30.07.1996 PD, Internal Medicine, University of Munich.
- 01.01.1986 Research Assistant, Department of Internal Medicine I, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.07.1996 Head of the interdisciplinary Sleep Laboratory, Campus Grosshadern, University of Munich.
- 01.06.1998 - 14.01.2001 Acting Head of the Department of Pulmonology, Campus Grosshadern, University of Munich.
- 15.01.2001 - 31.07.2007 Senior Physician of the interdisciplinary Center of Intensive Care, Campus Grosshadern, University of Munich.
- 15.01.2001 - 30.11.2012 Head of the Department of Pulmonology, Campus Grosshadern, University of Munich.
- 01.12.2010 - 31.12.2012 Head of the Department of Pulmonology, Allergology and Sleep Medicine, University Hospital Bergmannsheil a the Ruhr University in Bochum.
- 01.01.2013 Head of the Department of Pulmonology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Head of the Department of Pulmonology at the Asklepios Munich-Gauting Clinic, Co-Chair of the Comprehensive Pulmonology Center Munich.
- 06. - 10.09.2015 Co-Chair of the Annual Congress of the European Respiratory Society in Munich.
- 22. - 23.01.2016 President of the Congress for Rare Lung Diseases and of the Scientific Working Group on the Treatment of Lung Diseases, Berlin.
- 2019 Appointed as the President of the Annual Congress of the German Society of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine.
Main Research and Clinical Focuses
- Interstitial lung diseases, pulmonary fibrosis, collagenoses.
- Pulmonary hypertension.
- Lung transplantation.
- Diagnostics and treatment of thoracic tumors.
- Lung diseases caused by allergic reactions.
- Acute and chronic respiratory failure, obstructive sleep apnea.
- Therapy for COPD, including interventional and surgical procedures.
- Inflammatory and oxidative pathological mechanisms of bronchopulmonary diseases.
- Mechanisms of fibrosis and cell-mesenchymal interaction.
Membership in Professional Associations
- Federal Association of German Therapists.
- Professional Association of Pulmonologists of Bavaria.
- German Society of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine.
- German Society of Cardiology.
- European Respiratory Society.
- American Thoracic Society.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- Working Group on Pulmonary Hypertension (DGP and DGK).
- Second Chair of the Scientific Working Group on the Treatment of Lung Diseases (WATL).
- Second Chair of the self-help group for patients with pulmonary fibrosis.
- Scientific Advisory Council of the self-help group for patients with pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis.
Department of Pulmonology.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home