University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology (278024)
Specialized in: radiation therapy, radiation oncology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks among the top German departments specializing in radiation therapy!
The department offers all modern services in radiation therapy, including special treatments, for example, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, image-guided radiation therapy, brain radiosurgery, pulmonary stereotaxis, whole-body irradiation, catheter administration of the radioactive drugs (afterloading technique).The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Claus Belka.
The successful clinical practice of the department is complemented by productive research activities, participation in numerous national and international clinical trials. In addition, the recognized focuses of the department’s specialization are medical physics, in the sphere of which the new radiation programs were developed, and biological radiation research, within which the new types of combined therapy are being improved.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Gynecologic cancers
- Cervical cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Tumors of the external genitalia (vulvar cancer)
- Vaginal cancer
- Prostate cancer and other urologic malignancies
- Gastrointestinal tumors
- Esophageal carcinoma
- Rectal cancer
- Liver tumors
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Head and neck tumors
- Bone and soft tissue sarcomas
- Lung and mediastinal cancer
- Skin tumors
- Lymphomas and leukemias
- Benign diseases (for example, inflammatory and degenerative diseases)
The department’s range of therapeutic services includes:
- CT-guided radiotherapy planning
- Intracavitary brachytherapy
- Special form of brachytherapy for cervical cancer (Applicator Venezia TM)
- Interstitial brachytherapy
- Brachytherapy in liver cancer and liver metastases
- Skin brachytherapy
- Radiotherapy with the use of Deep Inspiration Breath Hold technology
- Extracranial stereotaxis (in tumors of the kidneys, liver and lungs)
- Whole body irradiation
- Intensity modulated radiotherapy
- Image-guided radiotherapy
- 3D conformal radiation therapy with modulated radiation volume
- Intraoperative radiotherapy
- Cranial stereotaxic/radiosurgery
- Implantation of radioactive 125-iodine grains
- Other therapeutic options
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Essen.
- 1989 - 1990 Doctoral Degree, Faculty of Human Genetics, University of Essen.
- 1993 - 1995 Assistant Physician (Hematology and Oncology) in the Campus Benjamin Franklin of the University Hospital Charité Berlin and in the Robert Rössle Clinic, Berlin.
- 2004 - 2008 Deputy Head, Department of Radiation Oncology, Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen.
- 2007 - 2008 Head of the research Group on Experimental Radiotherapy, Department of Radiation Oncology, Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen.
- Since 2008, Head of the Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Main Awards and Activities in Professional Societies/Committees
- 2000 Poster Award of the German Physiological Society.
- 2001 Wolfsberg Poster Award.
- 2002 Hanns Langendorff Award.
- 2003 MSD Onco Award 12th Conference of the European Organization of Oncologists, Copenhagen.
- 2003 Hermann Holthusen Prize of the German Society of Radiation Oncology.
- 2003 Monika Kutzner Prize, Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences.
- 2006 "Highly Commended" Award from the European Association for Cancer Research (EACR 17 Budapest).
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.