University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Thoracic Surgery (301975)
Rudolf A. Hatz
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of surgical treatment of the thoracic diseases. Particular attention is paid to the treatment of lung, pleural and mediastinal tumors. The department also offers all surgical interventions in the field of reconstructive thoracic surgery, including correction of keel and funnel chest deformities. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rudolf A. Hatz.
The department has its own Endoscopic Section, in which all the necessary diagnostic examinations and therapeutic interventions are performed. It offers a variety of effective diagnostic methods, such as flexible and rigid bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound, and ultrasound-guided biopsy for the histological examination of the lymph nodes and tumors of the respiratory tract and bronchi.
It should be noted that the doctors of the department have an extensive experience in the treatment of diseases, which lead to stenosis of the upper respiratory tract and bronchi. Also, they have successfully performed stent implantation of the upper respiratory tract and bronchi in the case of obstructive stenosis for many years.
The department is an Expert Lung Transplant Center (Munich Lung Transplantation Group (MLTG)). Lung transplantation aims to improve patient's quality of life and increase its duration. The critically ill patients undergo extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Thanks to the improved technologies and materials, the use of ECMO reduces the risk of complications and ensures a safe expectation of the lung transplant surgery (namely, in conscious patients, without artificial lung ventilation).
For the outstanding achievements and modern quality management, the department was awarded the TÜV Süd Certificate, according to the requirements of DIN ISO 9001: 2008.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of benign diseases of the lungs, thoracic organs and mediastinum
- Spontaneous pneumothorax
- Tracheal diseases
- Funnel chest (Nuss procedure)
- Pleural effusion (pleurodesis with video-assisted бьмthoracoscopic surgery)
- Pleural empyema
- Lung sequestration
- Transplantation of one or two lungs in terminal respiratory failure
- Histological examination in fibrosing lung diseases (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)
- Lung volume reduction (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)
- Thoracic endoscopy
- Flexible and rigid bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound-guided tissue sampling for the further histological examination
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of malignant diseases of the lungs, thoracic organs and mediastinum
- Thymus cancer
- Lung cancer
- Thoracic tumors
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Malignant pleural effusion
- Esophageal diseases, affecting lungs
- Lung metastases
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of other diseases
- Munich, Germany