University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Breast Center (324181)
Specialized in: mammology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine rating, the Breast Center at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks among the top medical institutions in Germany, specializing in breast cancer treatment!
It provides the advanced diagnostics and effective treatment of all benign and malignant breast diseases in women and men. The priority focus is breast cancer therapy at both early and progressive stages. The doctors of the department have in their arsenal a variety of innovative medical and surgical methods, which provide the optimal results. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Nadia Harbeck, who is regularly ranked among the top German doctors in the area of her specialization. The doctor has enormous clinical experience, high treatment success rates and thousands of saved lives.
Psychological support of patients is a significant aspect of therapy, especially in breast cancer. The highly qualified psychologists work with them and help to overcome the emotional distress and cope with such a complex and frightening diagnosis.
It is obvious, that the key to successful treatment is the accurate diagnostics, therefore the department is equipped with the state-of-art diagnostic equipment. In combination with the high professionalism of doctors, this allows them to make the most accurate diagnosis and develop the optimal treatment strategy, taking into account individual clinical indications and needs of each patient.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Clinical examination
- MR mammography
- Ultrasound examinations (also contrast-enhanced)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Combined PET-CT scan method
- Breast tissue sampling (biopsy)
- Fine needle biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided punch biopsy
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Immunohistochemical examinations
- Genetic diagnostics in the availability of breast cancer in relatives
- Participation in a special screening program
- Other diagnostic methods
The department’s range of therapeutic services includes:
- Drug therapy
- Chemotherapy (in the form of tablets or infusions)
- Antihormonal therapy
- Antibody therapy
- Therapy for maintaining a normal state of bone tissue (bisphosphonates)
- Supportive drug therapy
- Alternative treatments and naturopathy methods
- Clinical trials of innovative drugs (if desired)
- Surgical treatment
- Minimally invasive interventions for breast tissue sampling (ultrasound, MRI-guided)
- Open interventions for breast tissue sampling
- Marking of non-palpable neoplasms before surgery (ultrasound-, MRI-, mammography-guided)
- Breast-conserving surgery
- Mastectomy (classic and skin preserving method)
- Operations on the sentinel lymph nodes and classical axillary lymph node surgery
- Intraoperative radiotherapy
- Breast reconstruction using own tissue or implants, as well as a combination of both methods
- Preventive mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (in a genetic predisposition to breast cancer), as well as removal of the ovaries during a single operation
- Plastic surgery in benign breast changes
- Interdisciplinary planning of a surgical intervention
- Radiation therapy in combination with hyperthermia
- Treatment of breast cancer recurrence
- Psycho-oncological support
- Special consultations for young patients, taking into account the specific clinical case
- Self-help groups
- Special consultations on the methods of alternative medicine
- Nutrition counseling and lifestyle modifications
- Social help
- Palliative care
- Pain therapy
- Other medical services
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1990 - 2009 Department of Gynecology, University Hospital of the Technical University of Munich, last position – Leading Senior Physician, Conservative Senology.
- 1993 Academic Degree (Dr. med.), Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1998 Doctoral thesis defense and Venia Legendi (PD), Department of Gynecology, Technical University of Munich.
- 2003 Early appointment as a Visiting Professor (Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Munich).
- 2009 - 2011 Head of the Breast Center, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Cologne.
- Since 2011, Invitation to the position of the University Professor (Conservative Oncology), Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, as well as the Head of the Breast Center at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Memberships in the Professional Societies
- Working Group on the Development of Recommendations for Breast Cancer (AGO), "Diagnostics and Therapy at the Early and Progressive Stages of Breast Cancer".
- Commission Member on the Development of S3 Recommendations for Breast Cancer Treatment.
- St. Gallen Consensus Member (International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer).
- ABC Consensus Member (International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Advanced and Metastatic Breast Cancer).
- Team Member of the Breast Cancer Treatment Project, Cancer Center Munich.
- Scientific Director of the Westdeutsche Studiengruppe.
- Council Member of the European Organisation for European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC).
- Advisory Board Member of the Organization for Breast Cancer Treatment (Brustkrebs Deutschland e.V.).
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.