Diagnosis of cataract (program ID: 113003)
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Siegfried PriglingerSpecialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- ophthalmologic examination:
- slit lamp examination
- pupil examination
- ocular motility examination
- perimetry (visual field test)
- computer perimetry
- visometry (without correction and with correction)
- refractometry (objective, subjective, cycloplegic)
- non-contact tonometry
- optical coherence tomography OCT (if indicated clinically)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
- Medical records
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department has won the reputation of one of the largest and most respected medical institutions in the field of its specialization in Europe. All modern conservative and surgical methods of treatment are available here. The special focus is on the minimally invasive treatment and advanced laser technologies, which are constantly being improved. The primary goal of the department's doctors is to preserve vision in patients of all age groups using the most sparing therapeutic methods. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med Siegfried Priglinger.
The medical staff of the department provides its patients with not only high-quality treatment, but also attentive care, comprehensive counseling on all important issues. The combination of vast clinical experience, scientific competence and innovative technological equipment allows the department's doctors to make accurate diagnoses and develop optimal treatment strategies taking into account the individual needs of each patient.
The service range of the department includes:
- Laser vision correction (refractive surgery) in hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia
- Femtosecond laser
- Excimer laser
- Eye lens surgery (implantation of an intraocular lens, multifocal lenses)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic retinopathy
- Nonproliferative retinopathy
- Diabetic macular edema
- Injection therapy
- Laser therapy
- Proliferative retinopathy
- Panretinal laser coagulation
- Vitrectomy (at progressive stages of the disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of all forms of uveitis, scleritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of cataract
- Cataract removal with the help of a femtosecond laser (Femto LDV Z8)
- Artificial eye lens implantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of corneal diseases
- Endothelial corneal dystrophy (Fuchs’ dystrophy)
- Implantation of corneal segments (rings)
- Corneal transplantation (keratoplasty)
- Diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases in premature babies, newborns, toddlers, small children and adolescents
- Diseases of the eyelids and tear ducts
- Conjunctival diseases
- Retinal damage in premature babies
- Congenital cataract or glaucoma
- Retinal diseases
- Rare hereditary eye diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of age-related macular degeneration (injection therapy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of the retina and vitreous body diseases
- Epiretinal gliosis
- Transconjunctival, pars plana seamless vitrectomy with the removal of epiretinal membranes and inner border membrane under local anesthesia (microsurgery)
- Retinal detachment
- Local sealing
- Pars plana vitrectomy
- Epiretinal gliosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of strabismus, eye movement disorders
- Selection of the right glasses, including prismatic ones
- Surgical treatment
- Combined treatment methods
- Diagnostics and treatment of dry eye syndrome
- Use of gels and ointments
- Anti-inflammatory therapy
- Use of corticosteroid eye drops
- Antibiotic therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant tumors of the eyes, appendages of the eyes, eyelids and metastases in the choroid (for example, in breast cancer)
- Conservative treatment methods
- Surgical treatment methods, including plastic reconstructive interventions
- Selection of optical devices for vision correction
- Ophthalmic rehabilitation
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the eye and its appendages
- 1998 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, Internal Medicine.
- 1998 Research Fellowship at the Schepens Eye Research Institute at the Harvard Medical School, Boston, "Immunobiological aspects of retinal transplantation" (Prof. Dr. med. J.W. Streilein).
- 1999 Internship, Cardiac Surgery, Salzburg Hospital (LKA Salzburg), Traumatology and Internal Medicine, General Hospital Linz (AKH Linz).
- 2000 Intern, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Anselm Kampik).
- 2001 Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Munich.
- February 2005 Examination for the title of a Medical Specialist in Ophthalmology.
- June 2005 Senior Physician, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Munich.
- July 2006 Venia Legendi (habilitation) in Ophthalmology.
- 2007 Certified Healthcare Economist (Dr. Braunschweig, BWL Academy, Cologne).
- Since June 18, 2007 Head of the Department of Ophthalmology, General Hospital Linz (AKH Linz).
- 2001 Premature appointment as an Extraordinary Professor at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2015 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS).
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
- Munich Ophthalmological Society (MOG).
- Austrian Ophthalmological Society (ÖOG).
- 1993 - 1998 Scholarship of the University of Vienna.
- 1997 - 1998 Senate Scholarship of the University of Vienna.
- 1998 Special financing, Upper Austria.
- 1999 Research Scholarship of the Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 2001 1st Prize for the Report of the Rhenish-Main Association of Ophthalmologists.
- 2006 Scientific Prize of the German Ophthalmological Society, Kröner Foundation, Munich.
- 1st Prize for the Report of the French Society of Ophthalmology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum