PAN Clinic Cologne
Department of Adult and Pediatric Hand, Foot Surgery (55)
Bernd von Maydell
Specialized in: adult and pediatric hand, foot surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Hand, Foot Surgery at PAN Clinic Cologne
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Hand, Foot Surgery at the PAN Clinic Cologne offers all the options of modern medicine for the diagnostics and treatment of hand and foot diseases. The main specialization of the medical facility is surgical treatment. The department admits not only adults, but also young patients. The medical facility mostly deals with the treatment of children with congenital defects (for example, syndactyly, polydactyly). Depending on the complexity of the clinical case, surgery can be performed either on an inpatient or outpatient basis. The operating rooms are equipped with the latest technology, so the quality of surgical interventions is at the highest level. Many surgical procedures are performed under local anesthesia. The department also uses the innovative WALANT (wide awake local anesthesia no tourniquet) technique, which is well tolerated by patients. The department's specialists have an impressive clinical experience and regularly demonstrate excellent treatment success rates, so the patients can confidently rely on high-quality medical care. The department is headed by Dr. med. Bernd von Maydell.
Upon admission to the department, the attending physician holds an individual consultation for the patient. During the initial consultation, the specialist asks about the patient's complaints, studies his medical history and conducts a clinical examination. In some cases, the doctor can make a diagnosis already at the stage of clinical examination. However, the patient usually requires additional diagnostic tests, including X-ray and ultrasound scanning. The department's medical team often uses only conservative therapeutic measures (injection therapy, physiotherapy, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, etc.). If, after a comprehensive diagnostic examination, the specialists come to the conclusion that the desired result can be achieved only with the help of a surgical intervention, the patient is then appointed a surgical procedure. All surgical interventions on the hand are performed by experienced and highly qualified surgeons using state-of-the-art surgical equipment, including modern surgical microscopes.
In the field of hand surgery, the doctors most often perform arthroscopic interventions on the hand joints, surgery for tears and other injuries of the hand ligaments, interventions for carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, as well as resection surgery for ganglion, keratomas and tumors on the skin of the hand.
The treatment of foot diseases and injuries is also within the department's competence. The most common diseases in this area include hallux rigidus, hallux valgus, foot bone fractures, as well as hammer and claw toes.
In addition, the department's team of surgeons specializes in the correction of congenital hand and foot malformations in children. Of particular interest are corrective interventions for syndactyly (total or partial fusion of the toes or fingers) and polydactyly (supernumerary fingers on the hand or toes on the foot).
The department's key clinical focuses include:
- Hand surgery (outpatient and inpatient surgery)
- Arthroscopic interventions on the wrist and saddle joints
- Surgical treatment of rhizarthrosis
- Surgical treatment of finger arthritis
- Surgical treatment of hand ligament injuries
- Surgical treatment of hand and wrist fractures
- Surgical treatment of ganglion
- Surgical treatment of hand tumors
- Surgical treatment of scaphoid fractures and scaphoid pseudarthrosis
- Surgical treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome
- Surgical treatment of cubital tunnel syndrome
- Surgical treatment of compression syndromes
- Surgical treatment of rheumatic hand lesions
- Surgical treatment of trigger fingers
- Surgical treatment of de Quervain's tenosynovitis
- Surgical treatment of golfer's elbow
- Surgical correction of hand malformations in children (for example, syndactyly, polydactyly)
- Hand scar revision
- Wrist corrective osteotomy
- Reconstructive surgery on the ligaments of the finger joints and wrist joint
- Foot surgery (outpatient and inpatient surgery)
- Surgical correction of hallux rigidus
- Surgical correction of hallux valgus
- Surgical treatment of forefoot fractures
- Surgical correction of hammer and claw toes
- Surgical treatment of rheumatic foot and ankle lesions
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Bernd von Maydell
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1989 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Goettingen, Vienna and London.
- 1996 - 2004 Residency in Surgery in Berlin (Bundeswehr Hospital), Koblenz (Bundeswehr Central Hospital) and Lahnstein.
- 1998 - 2000 Military Physician in Muenster.
- 2004 Board Certification in Surgery.
- 2005 - 2017 Physician at the Hand Surgery Center, Bonn.
- 2008 Specialization in Hand Surgery.
- 2009 Senior Physician, Hand Surgery Center, Bonn.
- 2009 Physician in the Department of Hand Surgery, Catholic Children's Hospital Wilhelmstift (6 months).
- 2012 European Diploma in Hand Surgery, Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH).
- 2018 Foundation of the Hand Surgery Center Cologne.
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Hand, Foot Surgery at the PAN Clinic Cologne.
- Arthroscopic and classical interventions on the wrist joint.
- Treatment of hand diseases and deformities in children.
- Correction of congenital hand defects.
- WALANT technique.
Photo of the doctor: (c) PAN Klinik
Department of Adult and Pediatric Hand, Foot Surgery.
PAN Clinic Cologne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.